WR Bryce McNeal to UConn? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

WR Bryce McNeal to UConn?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mets1090

Probably returning some video tapes...
Reaction Score
In our situation, it would be a risk to not try to build up the talent level in the O skill positions by any means necessary. Otherwise, you won't be around the 4/5 years to build kids in your system .
In response to your question about what risks there are...

When you bring in a ton of JuCo players and transfers, you run the risk of dividing the locker room quite a bit more than you usually would (players are friends with each other, transfer wins spot, other players aren't happy about it, etc.). I am of the stance that if a transfer comes in and wins the spot and the backup is unhappy about it, tough break. Earn your way on to the field. You just have to hope that we don't see guys transfer out who thought they had a shot at earning PT as a Freshmen or Sophomore.

Reaction Score

When you bring in a ton of JuCo players and transfers, you run the risk of dividing the locker room quite a bit more than you usually would (players are friends with each other, transfer wins spot, other players aren't happy about it, etc.). I am of the stance that if a transfer comes in and wins the spot and the backup is unhappy about it, tough break. Earn your way on to the field. You just have to hope that we don't see guys transfer out who thought they had a shot at earning PT as a Freshmen or Sophomore.
I agree with your stance. That's not much different than bringing in better freshman than the guys on the roster now.

mets1090

Probably returning some video tapes...
Reaction Score
I agree with your stance. That's not much different than bringing in better freshman than the guys on the roster now.
But there is bigger risk because, as others have mentioned, you don't get to develop the new players for 4/5 years, only 1 or 2 years. So the downside is if kids transfer out and then the JuCos/transfers graduate, you are forced to play future recruits earlier than you would have to otherwise. Having said that, I still think this offense needs as much help for right now as they can get. All the bitching and moaning that may result from people losing their jobs to transfers will go away or simply not matter if W's follow.

Reaction Score
Correct me if I'm wrong but Dez announced this transfer like 2 months ago. He did a piece on it after we picked up the kid from BC which gave us 2 4star recruit transfers @ WW for the upcoming season.

Reaction Score
Correct me if I'm wrong but Dez announced this transfer like 2 months ago. He did a piece on it after we picked up the kid from BC which gave us 2 4star recruit transfers @ WW for the upcoming season.
He just had something in his blog that he was on an official visit and that coaching staff wanted him pretty bad...not that it was official.

Reaction Score

I never remember Des mentioning that he committed to us, only that he was coming for a visit for the weekend of Nov. 19th. Not to mention if he literally just committed on his twitter account within the last 48 hours how could Des have had an article about it 2 months ago?

Reaction Score
But there is bigger risk because, as others have mentioned, you don't get to develop the new players for 4/5 years, only 1 or 2 years. So the downside is if kids transfer out and then the JuCos/transfers graduate, you are forced to play future recruits earlier than you would have to otherwise. Having said that, I still think this offense needs as much help for right now as they can get. All the bitching and moaning that may result from people losing their jobs to transfers will go away or simply not matter if W's follow.

In four years P will be at the end of his contract at 67 years old. He needs the talent upgrade now!

Reaction Score
Dez posted this transfer back on November 15. He did a piece on our two 4 star transfers @ wide receiver. This was a done deal a while ago.

Reaction Score
Dez posted this transfer back on November 15. He did a piece on our two 4 star transfers @ wide receiver. This was a done deal a while ago.
Here is what Dez wrote on 11/15 blog entry
"The Huskies will also have a couple of Junior College Transfers VISITING including Bryce McNeal, a 6-1 180 lb redshirt sophmore reciever from Clemson, a top 10 number coming out of high school in Minnesota and Kyle Bockeloh, a 6-4 265 lb Freshman from Air Force"
Notice I capitalized visiting, as McNeal was his visit to UConn...not commiting.

Reaction Score
FDNY99 - that seems right, but I know I read something else related to that as well. I'll take a look and see if I can track down the article I read.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score

When you bring in a ton of JuCo players and transfers, you run the risk of dividing the locker room quite a bit more than you usually would.....

I don't see a "ton", I see a handful to address needs.

Reaction Score
He said "UConn it might be" on his twitter at 4 PM yesterday. Also he told Ashiru that he was coming but then said to him he wasn't sure just yet. This would be a good get to help replace the Moore's and give us some more experience.

confirmed from a reliable source @ Clemson that he's going to UCONN...he's graduated and does not have to sit out a year

Reaction Score

Ramping up competition on a football roster for depth chart positioning whether it be by transfers or freshmen, doesn't create locker room divides. That's a load of hooey, and ramping up the competition up and down the roster is exactly what's happening.

Locker room divides happen when you have an organization of 100+ individuals that don't have common goals and effective leadership in maintaining discipline, respect for a chain of command, and planning and going about reaching those goals. It's absolutely ridiculous to think that every player on a football team is going to be friends with everybody else too, personalities are different, that's why people are people and a person is an individual, so personality conflicts creating locker room divides does happen, but that's a reflection on the abilty of chain of command, player leadership / coaching to maintain discipline, not the players personalities or abilities.

Losers gather as individuals in small groups and bitch about the system, winners assemble as a team and work toward their goals. - Bill Parcells.

These coaches we've got for a while on the tail end of their careers aren't rookies, and the next time a player transfers out of this program to another BCS level competition program because they're not getting the playing time they want, and think they'll have a better chance elsewhere because of competition level on the depth chart - it will be the first time, and that's all you need to be concerned about when it comes to JUCO players and transfers.

Welcome Mr. McNeal, to the class of 2012, and again, to all members of the 2012 class. Looking forward to seeing you on the field in a few months, with the other 100+ guys out there getting ready to kick the crap out of the UMass in their welcome to 1-A football.

Reaction Score
“@ThaRealMcNeal11: S/O to my future teammate @BobbyPuyol !! We bout to get it in!! Big East champs!”

Gotta like the attitude!

Reaction Score
Ramping up competition on a football roster for depth chart positioning whether it be by transfers or freshmen, doesn't create locker room divides. That's a load of hooey, and ramping up the competition up and down the roster is exactly what's happening.

I agree. My comment on bringing in freshman was tongue-in-cheek.

With 100+ people, there will always be disagreements and divides. There will always be competition, and I like what coach P is doing. I also don't expect it to be a long term strategy, just based on the amount of time spent recruiting, you're better off getting kids that will be here 4 and 5 years. less turnover is a positive.

I don't think Coach P wants to build a team based on transfers, I think he wants to plug a few key holes with transfers. Based on the guys we've brought in, and who we are bringing back, I expect us to compete for the conference championship next year. There are no unwinnable games in our conference. I love the job P is doing in recruiting and off the field.

Reaction Score

Yes, there is an advantage to less turnover. But P is not trying to build an entire roster on transfers/JUCOs, just plug a few holes. IMO, it's exactly the strategy he should be taking. This team is a few playmakers on offense away from competing for a conference championships.

Reaction Score
Yes, there is an advantage to less turnover. But P is not trying to build an entire roster on transfers/JUCOs, just plug a few holes. IMO, it's exactly the strategy he should be taking. This team is a few playmakers on offense away from competing for a conference championships.

+1

jrazz12

BEast mode
Reaction Score
This team is a few playmakers on offense away from competing for a conference championships.

I'm cautiously optimistic we may have just solved that problem too. A potential receiving corps of McNeal, Phillips, Smith, and Williams to go along with presumably elevated play at QB from whoever is under center and a very capable and developing back in McCombs (and the Big East's leading rusher).

I think P's plugged all the right holes and this team is prepped for big things next year.

Reaction Score
I am cautiously optimistic about the moves Coach is making. We've had quite a few letdowns in recent months. Last year was about keeping the recruiting class together even though the coaching staff was changing. This year with all the holes that were presented during the season and those that occurred thru graduation, Coach has tried hard to get some experienced help where we need it most. As others have said here this is not a wholesale change in philosophy, but rather just realistically looking at what is needed next year vs. in future years. I think all here would agree that upgrades to the passing game QB/WR, bolstering the OLine, and balancing the running game with another productive RB were areas of need. It seems that the the additions were not hasty desperation moves and all players seem to really help our cause. Other teams in our conference who recruit better than we do also selectively consider transfers and JUCO players especially when they can play right away and fill an important need.

Reaction Score
OOPS! I mentioned RB but the RB was a prep player not a transfer or JUCO. The other transfer I was thinking of was the Linebacker from Maryland who I think will also help us next season.

Reaction Score
FWIW, Dez just clearly posted that McNeal will enroll here later this month. That contradicts what my understanding of the situation was.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom