Would things feel different if we beat Tulsa? | The Boneyard

Would things feel different if we beat Tulsa?

Reaction Score
It's a rhetorical questions that really doesn't matter at this point, and I'm sure that it has been discussed ad nauseam. I couldn't help but ask the question after watching part of the Tulsa v. Memphis game. Tulsa played with energy and excitement. Quite frankly, I really did think Tulsa was better than us and it would have been a solid road win. Our second half defense was pretty solid in the Tulsa game also.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
I mean 9-6 and 2-1 in the conference is a lot better optics than 8-7/1-2 but if you just mean that their guy missing the 3 at the end of regulation or us hitting on one of our 3 chances to win then not much.

Reaction Score
Yes if this team has a good second half and gets somewhere around 20 wins that game will def come back to bite us. After basically blowing the entire non-conference slate Tulsa was all but a must win. The next three are all must win.

Reaction Score
The Tulsa loss stings considering the game as a whole and how it went down.

At the time, it dropped Uconn to 0-2, a tough hole to crawl out of. Now, at 1-2, Uconn can START to right the ship by beating a good UCF team. It is a must win. Lose that and I consider this a lost season outside of a very improbable AACT run where it is championship or bust.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
I happen to think people would feel worse about the program going forward if the team beat Tulsa. That goes for any of the remaining games on our schedule.

Reaction Score
Any fan wants as many wins as possible. Even if it is between 12 and 18 or even just 14 and 16 or something like that.... I would think...

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
Any fan wants as many wins as possible. Even if it is between 12 and 18 or even just 14 and 16 or something like that.... I would think...

This is not true.

Reaction Score
Not really. The team is very obviously flawed. Even in wins we have seen that. A bounce here or there and we lose to Monmouth or someone else. Of course 9-6 is better than 8-7, but barring an incredible change in philosophy, effort, and skill, we all pretty much know we are going to be around .500 all year.

Reaction Score
Actually I'm not done. They have played 10 games since Alterique went down; enough time to course correct and figure how to overcome the loss of one player. They have gone 4-6 during that span only winning two games in regulation with those two being the worst 2 teams in CBB and only winning those games by a combined 18 points.

Beating Tulsa, a very mediocre team, in double OT, or even single OT, or just barely beating them in regulation doesn't cut it. Coming into the year, my expectation was make the tournament. When Alterique went down, I adjusted it to at least get in the whereabouts of 18-20 wins and play competitive basketball. I have yet to be convinced of anything I see of the team as a unit. I see flashes of individual talent in these players but insufficient coaching to reel it in and make these talents coexist on both ends of the floor.

The losing is bad, the barely beating bad teams is equally bad, consistently running out an unwatchable brand of basketball was the nail in the coffin for me personally and beating Tulsa was not going to change that.

What would change that is going 8-2 in the 10. It's not going to happen, but after embarrassing the program v. Arkansas, Syracuse, Auburn, ECU, and Coppin State, that's how I feel.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
No, especially after effectively laying another egg v. ECU

This is the key. They played well against Arizona. Terribly against Auburn. The played well against WSU in a loss. Played well against Tulsa and choked the game away and had some bad luck. Then they reverted to the Auburn form again.

Now, a close win against Tulsa, followed by the expected throttling of ECU at home and I would be feeling different.

Reaction Score
yes. it was a bad loss. a game they never should have lost.

RayIsTheGOAT

Sticks, to the rafters
Reaction Score
Tulsa was the only loss that really stung.
Arkansas and Auburn were dreadful, but like, we weren't expected to win those games anyway.
9-6, 2-1 would be pretty good all things considered. These next 4 games are another chance to somewhat right the ship though.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Tulsa was the only loss that really stung.
Arkansas and Auburn were dreadful, but like, we weren't expected to win those games anyway.
9-6, 2-1 would be pretty good all things considered. These next 4 games are another chance to somewhat right the ship though.

Interesting that people here got worked up about losing to a "mediocre" or "unranked" Arkansas and then Auburn. Then both ended up ranked. They are very good teams. That doesn't excuse our failure to even show up in either game, but the fact is that they are clearly better teams than UConn is this year.

Reaction Score
Actually I'm not done. They have played 10 games since Alterique went down; enough time to course correct and figure how to overcome the loss of one player. They have gone 4-6 during that span only winning two games in regulation with those two being the worst 2 teams in CBB and only winning those games by a combined 18 points.

Beating Tulsa, a very mediocre team, in double OT, or even single OT, or just barely beating them in regulation doesn't cut it. Coming into the year, my expectation was make the tournament. When Alterique went down, I adjusted it to at least get in the whereabouts of 18-20 wins and play competitive basketball. I have yet to be convinced of anything I see of the team as a unit. I see flashes of individual talent in these players but insufficient coaching to reel it in and make these talents coexist on both ends of the floor.

The losing is bad, the barely beating bad teams is equally bad, consistently running out an unwatchable brand of basketball was the nail in the coffin for me personally and beating Tulsa was not going to change that.

What would change that is going 8-2 in the 10. It's not going to happen, but after embarrassing the program v. Arkansas, Syracuse, Auburn, ECU, and Coppin State, that's how I feel.

Save for the Auburn game, isn't that basically the level they have played at since finals break? I mean, they were underdogs in four of those games and lost four of those games. If we're not going to acknowledge that they played well at times against Arizona and Wichita, then I don't think it's fair to hold it over their head that they played poorly against ECU. As for Auburn, flying across the country on 36 hours rest to play a fired up team was always going to be a disaster for this group. It doesn't excuse the embarrassing performance, but it also doesn't surprise me.

All that in mind, I do think that they have under-achieved. I just think, at this point, that they under-achieved far more last season. This roster makes last years team look like the '09 squad.

Reaction Score
Save for the Auburn game, isn't that basically the level they have played at since finals break? I mean, they were underdogs in four of those games and lost four of those games. If we're not going to acknowledge that they played well at times against Arizona and Wichita, then I don't think it's fair to hold it over their head that they played poorly against ECU. As for Auburn, flying across the country on 36 hours rest to play a fired up team was always going to be a disaster for this group. It doesn't excuse the embarrassing performance, but it also doesn't surprise me.

All that in mind, I do think that they have under-achieved. I just think, at this point, that they under-achieved far more last season. This roster makes last years team look like the '09 squad.

You could argue they've played this way all season with the exception of the BU and Oregon games. Then 35 minutes v. Arizona, 20 minutes v. MSU, 35 minutes v. WSU you get the idea. The point being they are getting beat or playing down to opponents with similar or significantly less talent or getting just outright getting embarrassed by teams that are better to the point that Central looks more respectable these days. It happened last year, it happened in 2015-16 for the entirety of the regular season, it happened in 2014-15 as well. The difference was there were talented enough players around (Boatright, Hamilton, Miller, Gibbs, Jalen) that made it work to a degree. Two of those players didn't even develop in this program.

Wagner, Yale (only scored 44 pts v. an Ivy League school), Northeastern, ECU, @Tulsa x4, @Houston x3. never competing at Moody, not beating a ranked opponent since 2/18/2016 (FYI - it's 2018), 1-10 vs. top 25 last two seasons & 1-10 v. Power 5/Big East in that time span as well.

We have been witnessing bad basketball not up to the standards of the program and $3.5 MM a year contract (top 10 in all of college basketball) for 3.5 seasons with the exception of March 2016. His success at UConn fan be found for the entirety of 2012-13 season, March/April 2014, and March 2016.

However you want to slice it up, it's been bad and it's been bad for a while and we all gave a pass because he coached well in 2012-13 then was at the helm during a Natty run plus him being an alumnus of the university and the program. He deserved that pass since not many have accomplished what he has, but the Natty get out of jail free card has expired. It's a real shame, I wanted it to work with him long term.

Reaction Score
Yes, for anyone who wants to see objective evidence of this team improving, Tulsa was a meaningful game. UCF is too for the same reason.

If we get to the end of the season and find ouselves in the bottom third of this league, there has been no meaningful improvement.

Reaction Score
Would things feel different if we lost to St. Joe's in 2014?

Reaction Score
It's a rhetorical questions that really doesn't matter at this point, and I'm sure that it has been discussed ad nauseam. I couldn't help but ask the question after watching part of the Tulsa v. Memphis game. Tulsa played with energy and excitement. Quite frankly, I really did think Tulsa was better than us and it would have been a solid road win. Our second half defense was pretty solid in the Tulsa game also.

NO

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom