Would be nice to hear from someone that knew or ... | The Boneyard

Would be nice to hear from someone that knew or ...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
...knows about some of the stuff that goes on behind the scenes....

Us fans aren't stupid, but it seems like the decisions being made behind the scenes on who should run what when it comes to our football program think we don't anything about football or winning for that matter. Like we need to start EVERYTHING over from scratch... Total cluster duck*.

Anybody know anyone (former players/coaches/Richard Burton) who hits the nail on the head of what's going on up there in Storrs?

Reaction Score
That's a good start... So, hopefully he can influence how/who we recruit along with the obvious, coaching...

Reaction Score
That's not (nor should it be) the role of an AD.

This. No good is going to come out of an AD micromanaging a football coach. There is no reason to think an AD is going to make a better decision. The only reason ADs get involved is because at times humorist big donors is more important (or viewed as more important) than putting a process in place to win.

The AD's job is to determine when a coach needs to be let go and then find the right replacement. Not when to take a redshirt off or reshuffle the rolls of offensive coaches. That job is hard enough. Hopefully, in the next eight weeks, Benedict makes the right call or calls, whatever they may be. But if he told HCBD to play the frosh QB (which I don't believe for a second), we have bigger problems than HCBD's lunacy.

Reaction Score
It seems like that's what we have to lay our hat on up in Storrs.. SSDD

Reaction Score
Agree with biz. I always thought Warde got way too involve addressing the team and all that. Not his job nor his place except in very limited and unique situations. He should be setting out expectations for the head coach and maybe insisting on staff changes in a general way (you MUST make changes to improve the offense. Not "you must hire Charlie Weis as your new OC").

Reaction Score
So, where do you guys think we are with all of this? right now? Is the coaching being a coach? or the AD getting too involved? Over the last few coaching regimes, I just don't know. About 3 years ago, I thought we might've gotten it right, but not now....

Reaction Score
I agree to a certain extent. However, it is certainly the role of the AD to consider the methods admitting prospective football players and to ask the admissions department for cooperation if needed. Not special treatment, but something more like prompt feedback as to whether a player is likely to be admitted. It is also the job of the AD to go to the president and admission department and make the case that "for the good of the whole" a stretch admission here or there should be made for a deserving prospective player.

Reaction Score
I agree to a certain extent. However, it is certainly the role of the AD to consider the methods admitting prospective football players and to ask the admissions department for cooperation if needed. Not special treatment, but something more like prompt feedback as to whether a player is likely to be admitted. It is also the job of the AD to go to the president and admission department and make the case that "for the good of the whole" a stretch admission here or there should be made for a deserving prospective player.

Now THAT we actually do need...

Reaction Score
I didnt Luke Manuel, but at very least he was publicly all over PP once the writing was on the wall even if he couldn't pull the trigger when he should have. Benedict went from being actively engaged to going into hiding. Not impressed with that. He needs to lay down the gauntlet and show leadership.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
I didnt Luke Manuel, but at very least he was publicly all over PP once the writing was on the wall even if he couldn't pull the trigger when he should have. Benedict went from being actively engaged to going into hiding. Not impressed with that. He needs to lay down the gauntlet and show leadership.

We don't know what Benedict has said or done behind closed doors with Diaco or any of the staff. We don't know if burning a redshirt was because of conversations or not. All we are doing is speculating and wanting immedite public action.

We also don't know if any directives from Herbst or the board has been forthcoming. After last year at 6 - 6 and a bowl game, people can't be happy with this year's performance.

We as fans my not like it, but keeping it quiet, without public comment, is how it should be.

Reaction Score
It's not Benedict's job to be involved with day-to-day operations of the team, including recruiting, scheming, etc. It's his job to evaluate wins and losses, evaluate how the coach is handling himself in the media, and evaluate the status and direction of the program overall from a bird's-eye perspective. What he would be "unhappy" about is obviously the record, and Diaco's puzzling commentary and its contradiction to his actions on the field.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
I see the Williams move as a complete, 100% desperation move by our coaching staff to save the season (and their jobs). Self-survival mode now with no regard of what is best for the team, the program, the player and all parties' futures. There is no way Benedict was behind the move, other than probably voicing his disgust about the way this season has turned out and the complete lack of an offense that the team has.

As for Diaco's extension, I get the impression that this is something that was orchestrated by Warde/Herbst prior to Benedict coming on-board. A *HUGE* mistake, to say the least.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
I think BD has a chance to save his job by winning these last two games. (A BC win would do wonders).

I think if he does that he can make a case that the last pieces of the turnaround plan are going to be on the field next season. Of course, that means Williams needs to look like a good D1 QB. He looked anything but against Temple.

I don't see how you can keep a guy who has won 2,6, and 4 games and is racking up coach blown games at the same rate as PP.

Reaction Score
A bad embarrassing loss to BC won't save him.. it's gotta be a competitive (not "the kids played hard all the way"schpeel and we still get blown out) hard fought to the end game that we might fall short in.. or, we win, he's still alive...

AND then we follow that up with a win vs. Tulane he'll get more time...

Reaction Score
I like that Benedict has not been public with his criticisms. Proves he's not a meddling Jerry Jones type. However, he better complete his top to bottom evaluation roughly one hour after the Tulane game ends and get moving on his turnaround plan about 90 minutes after the clock strikes 0:00

Reaction Score
I think BD has a chance to save his job by winning these last two games. (A BC win would do wonders).

I think if he does that he can make a case that the last pieces of the turnaround plan are going to be on the field next season. Of course, that means Williams needs to look like a good D1 QB. He looked anything but against Temple.

I don't see how you can keep a guy who has won 2,6, and 4 games and is racking up coach blown games at the same rate as PP.
The last thing we need (and what we need most) is to beat BC. That will give the slime ball just enough to work with to sell his con for another season. The guy has failed. If he wins the last two he'll be so self deluded to think he just caught some bad breaks during the season and really all is well. He is the consummate con-man.

Reaction Score
Did he know that crazy bob was burning Williams redshirt in advance?
It's not DB's job to know that in advance. Roster moves prior to a game are the coach's purview and it's a bad precedent to set that the head coach has to run those moves by the AD prior to a game. It IS the AD's job to after the fact, when evaluating the program as a whole, to look at how the roster was handled, how redshirts were used/burned, and how the communication with the players was handled.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom