Worst line of the day from Dawn S. | The Boneyard

Worst line of the day from Dawn S.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Post game presser- "The effort was there." Shelled by 25 and beaten in every phase of the game. That can't be reassuring for her or the team for the next meeting.

bbsamjj

Rutgers Rooter
Reaction Score
Do I think USC can beat UConn? Probably not. But even Geno admitted after the game that it's rare to have 4 players (Stewart, KML, Jefferson, Tuck) all bring their A game for a game this big. Tuck was shooting less than 20% from 3 on the season, and then made 2/3 against USC. If not before, that's when Staley knew it wasn't their day.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Why was that a bad line? I thought her comments about the game were honest and refreshing. Also thought her team's effort was pretty good. They just weren't used to playing a team like UConn.

Reaction Score
Do I think USC can beat UConn? Probably not. But even Geno admitted after the game that it's rare to have 4 players (Stewart, KML, Jefferson, Tuck) all bring their A game for a game this big. Tuck was shooting less than 20% from 3 on the season, and then made 2/3 against USC. If not before, that's when Staley knew it wasn't their day.
Similarly Sessions was hitting shots she normally doesn't make.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
I don't know - Khadijah Sessions shot 50% (2-4) on threes last night after going 8-38 (21%) previously.

I think Geno was engaging in some polite coach-speak. Yes, he can be polite :). The win had more to do with Geno's changing up the defense on Mitchell and the post players, spacing on offense, and defensive intensity. The shots went in because the USC defense was confused and out of sorts. I don't think they've played anyone with UConn's combinatin of speed, precision, and experience before.

JS

Reaction Score
What's she supposed to say? "We lost because we didn't play hard enough?"

That used to be Pat Summitt's standard quote after a loss. Or modify it to "We lost because some people didn't play hard enough." No shared "we" on that; more of a nudge toward the underside of the bus.

It didn't escape the notice of this board that there was never any other reason, such as they were overmatched or weren't prepared or they (or God forbid, the coaching staff) made too many mistakes, or . . . you name it.

I know what you're saying -- that if SC tried their best and it wasn't good enough they might as well give up hoping to win next time.

But I think she's giving them credit where it's due and won't neglect to draw some lessons for improvement, which doesn't have to be enough to bring down UConn if that's not in the cards, but is still worthwhile.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
I don't know - Khadijah Sessions shot 50% (2-4) on threes last night after going 8-38 (21%) previously.

I think Geno was engaging in some polite coach-speak. Yes, he can be polite :). The win had more to do with Geno's changing up the defense on Mitchell and the post players, spacing on offense, and defensive intensity. The shots went in because the USC defense was confused and out of sorts. I don't think they've played anyone with UConn's combinatin of speed, precision, and experience before.
Additionally Mitchell shoots somewhere in the 40% range but was 75% beyond the arc vs. UCONN. Lastly, there were a number of circus shots and a plethora of O-boards that led to 2nd chance points as well.

I thought SC played hard. I just think UCONN beats them 9 times out of 10 by a similar margin.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I think SC "can" beat UConn. I don't think that they will, at least this year, but they certainly can.

cferraro04

Sensei
Reaction Score
Actually, in a vacuum yeah...it is possible that anybody can beat UConn...but, truthfully, the question with regards to South Carolina really should be: Will they??? The simple answer is no. Why?

1. Just because a team has the tallest players in the game doesn't translate necessarily as a win...you can only play five players at a time and you can't play all your bigs at once...talent limits how many on the floor at the same time.
2. Too young where experience is necessary... Jatarie White...not ready for the big time... A'ja Wilson doesn't know how good she is going to be yet...she will get there but she hasn't realized how good she is. Cuevas thinks she is there already, not a bad trait but she is a freshmen guard who will one day be great but that day is not this year.
3. Can't play like they have done this before because they haven't.
4. Not enough balance...weak on three point shooting. Team chemistry - passing, assists/basket ratio, poise, ability to handle the press.
5. Too many turnovers.
6. No offense to Staley's coaching...but bringing Coates and Wilson off the bench at this stage of the season doesn't make sense.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Dawn is breath of fresh air after that stiff shirt Summit. It's nice to have an opposing coach that appreciates and understands the whole thing. I'd say she has a good situational awareness. No excuses, but realistic about moving forward. I'm glad she and Geno will be coaching together and against each other for a long time to come. Couldn't help but respect her and her team after last night. Classy.

cabbie191

Jonathan Husky on a date with Holi
Reaction Score
Actually, in a vacuum yeah...it is possible that anybody can beat UConn...but, truthfully, the question with regards to South Carolina really should be: Will they??? The simple answer is no. Why?

6. No offense to Staley's coaching...but bringing Coates and Wilson off the bench at this stage of the season doesn't make sense.

I thought Burke's observation/question after the game was interesting: Geno made a line-up change after the Stanford loss; will Dawn do the same after this one?

cabbie191

Reaction Score
Dawn is breath of fresh air after that stiff shirt Summit. It's nice to have an opposing coach that appreciates and understands the whole thing. I'd say she has a good situational awareness. No excuses, but realistic about moving forward. I'm glad she and Geno will be coaching together and against each other for a long time to come. Couldn't help but respect her and her team after last night. Classy.

I thought both before and after the game that Dawn and the players were a class act. It felt to me that they had a proper prospective on the magnitude of the game, and the impact of a single loss. Even as it became clear that USC was going to lose and by a significant amount, not only did their team not show any signs of quitting, I didn't see anything negative in their demeanor either on the court or on the bench.

To address another point, while I think UConn is a better team and would beat USC more times than not, I don't think we are a 25 points better team. Most games we aren't going to have 4 starters playing at their best.

Last, although Chong and Stokes didn't have a lot of playing time, they did well with the time they were on the court. I've gotten really comfortable having Chong in the line-up. I think how Geno has brought her along is one of his top accomplishments. With the bit of the roller-coaster ride she has taken, she could have easily given up.

Reaction Score

Beware...on a nuetral court and with uncontrollable factors anyone can be beat. That's why you play the game.

Stanford.

Reaction Score
Good to see that she didn't put the blame on her players. Get 'em next time.

Reaction Score
I thought Burke's observation/question after the game was interesting: Geno made a line-up change after the Stanford loss; will Dawn do the same after this one?
Like start Aja?

I can't understand why they didn't try to screen defenders off of Mitchell and get players to foul her. She might not be able to get clear shots off but she will get fouled. Noone else was doing anything besides Sessions.

The same thing with Louisville/Shoni and Baylor/Sims last year. They just let those two run all over the place with the defenders hanging off them and exhaust themselves.

Nuyoika

Destroyer of Baked Goods
Reaction Score
Why was that a bad line? I thought her comments about the game were honest and refreshing. Also thought her team's effort was pretty good. They just weren't used to playing a team like UConn.
In one possession there were two SCAR bigs setting double screens, they literally walked to the spots on offense where they were suppose to be setting screens. I didn't see any effort at all in those last 15 minutes that said we are a top team.

Reaction Score
SC is a very good team and will only get better with more experience. I think this is the first big game for their players. They have three very good freshman, and were playing the best team in the country.

Nuyoika

Destroyer of Baked Goods
Reaction Score
Additionally Mitchell shoots somewhere in the 40% range but was 75% beyond the arc vs. UCONN. Lastly, there were a number of circus shots and a plethora of O-boards that led to 2nd chance points as well.

I thought SC played hard. I just think UCONN beats them 9 times out of 10 by a similar margin.
If you get a chance to watch a replay or recorded it, I would. I wasn't impressed by SCAR at all. Also, I averaged the numbers on their wins vs ranked opponents and our wins/loss vs ranked opponents and to be honest, from a statistical stand point there was not one single thing that even remotely made me think SCAR had a chance. In big games they are sub-par with the exception of the Texas A&M game. You can't expect to come in to a game averaging 66 points a game vs top opponents and average shooting less than 40% vs top opponents and expect to beat UConn. That'll work in the ACC which I like to call the "No Defense" conference. That will work in the SEC but that won't work vs UConn. I was shocked frankly at how many analysts even thought they had a chance.

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
Post game presser- "The effort was there." Shelled by 25 and beaten in every phase of the game. That can't be reassuring for her or the team for the next meeting.
Occasionally it's good to acknowledge the efforts of opponents, especially when they are top teams. Posters like you used to deride the efforts of Notre Dame for many years in the 2002-2010 period, and then suddenly the team UConn continually pounded became always dangerous. What happens with USCar is still to be seen, but they do have key building blocks.

USCar hung with UConn for a quarter of the game and even had a lead, and that takes effort against a team that most BY posters think no team should be hanging with after the 19:50 mark of the first half. The top three scorers on USCar combined to shoot 21-43, or 49% against a team that opponents shoot about 30% against. UScar outrebounded UConn and hustled for 21 offensive rebounds. No team had shot better than 50% from the arc against UConn this season until Monday night. The total performance of the Gamecocks didn't come out quite like they wanted, but Dawn justly can be proud of some parts of the game and the efforts of her top players.

When discussing the fact that UConn was returning to to #1, Geno said the team would take it in stride because they've been there a lot. "Act like you've been there before," he said. Same goes for UConn fans towards the team's opponents. Don't act like you're a snotty upstart with a chip on the shoulder, or you look like a fan of certain other teams who never have anything nice to say about other teams.

The worst line of the day (or night): your comment.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score

Because by definition it means her team is left without hope for a different outcome in the future.

cabbie191

Reaction Score
I wonder to what extent, if any, the fact that Geno and Dawn have and will in the future coach together, tempers their remarks?

Like everyone else, Geno has a continuum of relationships with his colleagues, ranging from very warm to tepid. Dawn has to be on the warm side of the scale.

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
Because by definition it means her team is left without hope for a different outcome in the future.

If that is really true, UConn cannot have lost a game in the last 10 years, or in the future while Geno is at UConn. Many things besides effort go into a game. Some players will become more talented, the coaches will work on new strategies to combat some of UConn's strengths, the players will get more experienced and perhaps more confident, the games will be played at different arenas. It's a coach's job to find the silver lining in these games, and McGraw had to dig deep sometimes to find good things during the first three games against UConn in 2010-11. But I wouldn't say that there ended up being no hope for the future.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
If you get a chance to watch a replay or recorded it, I would. I wasn't impressed by SCAR at all. Also, I averaged the numbers on their wins vs ranked opponents and our wins/loss vs ranked opponents and to be honest, from a statistical stand point there was not one single thing that even remotely made me think SCAR had a chance. In big games they are sub-par with the exception of the Texas A&M game. You can't expect to come in to a game averaging 66 points a game vs top opponents and average shooting less than 40% vs top opponents and expect to beat UConn. That'll work in the ACC which I like to call the "No Defense" conference. That will work in the SEC but that won't work vs UConn. I was shocked frankly at how many analysts even thought they had a chance.
You hit the nail on the head. I argued with more than one SC fan regarding how "good" SC was based on their overall easy schedule last year (no top 10 wins), subsequent 1 seed, and flameout in the sweet 16. Sure they lost no seniors last year but this season's team was still one that really faced no good competition. Go out and play Baylor, ND, or Maryland, and then talk about how solid they are and that they are a really really good team...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom