OT: - World Cup | Page 20 | The Boneyard

OT: World Cup

ColchVEGAS

Still buckin like five, deuce, four, trey.
Reaction Score
Morocco's magic carpet ride continues. What a team effort by then today, and really all tournament.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
So, with all the talk about how the US doesn’t have the talent and depth to compete with the big boys…is Morocco that much better than us? I’m not familiar with their team outside of Ziyech, who’s played even less than Pulisic at Chelsea.
They’ve been lucky. Portugal was denied a penalty at the end of 1H that was much clearer than the one Argentina got yesterday. Fortunately with the red card, France will destroy them.

Reaction Score
They’ve been lucky. Portugal was denied a penalty at the end of 1H that was much clearer than the one Argentina got yesterday. Fortunately with the red card, France will destroy them.
It takes more than than luck to defeat Belgium, Spain, Portugal and draw Croatia in 2 weeks. Portugal shouldn’t have to rely on a PK just to tie the game.

Reaction Score
The red card was a substitute who has barely played in the WC. They may get destroyed, but his absence won’t be why. They‘ve still only given up one own goal in five games - and have shutouts over Belgium, Croatia, Spain and Portugal. If France destroys them, it’s more a credit to France than a knock on Morocco.

Reaction Score
I thought England played excellent and were going to win that game. I'm not a fan of calling penalties simply because of contact but boy did the ref let a lot of things go. Then when the ref first failed to call the penalty when Mason Mount was bowled over in the penalty box, it really felt like something was amiss. Kane missing the PK though.

Reaction Score
So, with all the talk about how the US doesn’t have the talent and depth to compete with the big boys…is Morocco that much better than us? I’m not familiar with their team outside of Ziyech, who’s played even less than Pulisic at Chelsea.
Morocco certainly looked a lot better than US. I finally watched the game last night. Morocco look incredible in the first half, the goal was amazing. I know the keeper was at fault but the way Youssef launched, he looked like Jordan the way he took off and seemed to get an extra boost. The Morocco just shut down Portugal the 2nd half. Great defense. I will say it looked like Ronaldo added a lift and had a couple of chances. He's best when they are running and he can use his speed but Morocco locked them down.

Reaction Score
Just look at that height! Youssef is listed at 6'2, I'd like to know how high the ball was when he headed it.

1670863721504.png

Reaction Score
OK We go again today. Arg v Croatia at 2 et.
I think there will be a red card given out
2-1 Argentina

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
OK We go again today. Arg v Croatia at 2 et.
I think there will be a red card given out
2-1 Argentina
I'm pulling for Croatia, but it wouldn't surprise me if Argentina gets favorable treatment again.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Croatia got their asses kicked fair and square.

Reaction Score
Croatia got their asses kicked fair and square.
Still an amazing showing for a country which has the same population as Connecticut, semis and finals the past 2 World Cups. I'll always wonder how great Yugoslavia would be in International basketball and soccer had they not broken up.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Pulling for France to win this thing. I think it would be a great match.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Still an amazing showing for a country which has the same population as Connecticut, semis and finals the past 2 World Cups. I'll always wonder how great Yugoslavia would be in International basketball and soccer had they not broken up.
Yeah, but they got their asses kicked. I thought you're anti-participation trophy?

Reaction Score
Yeah, but they got their asses kicked. I thought you're anti-participation trophy?
Meh. First goal was a PK. 2nd was freakish - Alvarez just barreled his way to the goal. The 3rd was all Messi doing what Messi does.

You can play great team soccer but the goals often come in transition or if you have a magician.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Meh. First goal was a PK. 2nd was freakish - Alvarez just barreled his way to the goal. The 3rd was all Messi doing what Messi does.

You can play great team soccer but the goals often come in transition or if you have a magician.
My biggest complaint with this sport has always been that routine fouls don't benefit the affected team enough, and fouls in the box (especially not on clear scoring chances) give them too much. Free kicks in the attacking 1/3 about the only fouls that feel right. Stopping a breakaway in midfield? Not nearly enough. A penalty kick for a minor foul at the edge of the side of the box (like the first yesterday)? Way too much.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Early goal from France on a fairly relentless effort. Giroud has missed two good chances since. Morocco not very threatening, but has decent possession.

Reaction Score
My biggest complaint with this sport has always been that routine fouls don't benefit the affected team enough, and fouls in the box (especially not on clear scoring chances) give them too much. Free kicks in the attacking 1/3 about the only fouls that feel right. Stopping a breakaway in midfield? Not nearly enough. A penalty kick for a minor foul at the edge of the side of the box (like the first yesterday)? Way too much.

Imagining what you would say in a DOGSO situation.

Reaction Score
France - Argentina Sunday. Not a total shocker.
Griezmann is playing incredible soccer. Better overall talent so I will take France, although Lloris is due for a howler

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Imagining what you would say in a DOGSO situation.
I think I'm saying if it is an obvious goal scoring opportunity, that's the case for a penalty. It's more relevant than whether they are in the box or not. As for sending them off, soccer could use a Hockey style send off. Yellow card tackle from behind on a breakaway, even at midfield? 5 minute major.

Currently there's a pretty strong incentive to foul often and it mucks things up.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
awy

Top Bottom