Wondering what is the issue with the conference bottom teams | The Boneyard

Wondering what is the issue with the conference bottom teams

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
I looked on my chart and found the following teams have won three or less conference games:

• B1G - Rutgers, Northwestern, Purdue
  • SEC - Georgia, Kentucky, Missouri
  • ACC - Boston College, Pittsburgh, Wake Forest
  • B12 - I'll skip this one - TCU is injuries and the 2 newbies that don't have 4 wins (UCF, Houston) significantly upgraded conference
  • PAC - ASU, Oregon, Washington
  • BE - Butler, Xavier

The question is, are these injury / rebuilding situations or are these teams just lacking talent and perhaps needing a coaching change?

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Pitt... new coach..... rebuilding... been rebuilding for about 8 years though

Wake... Lack of Talent, their Star player transferred to TN... this is the coach's second year so she will be given time to rebuild

BC: Two best players last year, the PG Mair, and C Gadkeng transferred in the off-season. They aren't THAT bad... they have some talent.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
By the way, to be honest, I know about Rutgers as well. Rebuilding, although a lot of RU fans on their message board don't think it is happening fast enough.

A few truly stymie me., thanks to Triad for the fact that Wake had a newish coach, I hadn't realized that. It takes time, but they are one of the few that haven't won a conference game at all.

Thanks to @Vowelguy as well, as I don't keep up much with the Big East (although I track it the same as the P5). It always takes new coaches a bit, though I do know that it has been a long time for Xavier.

Reaction Score
Kentucky - Elzy is clueless as a coach, can't recruit, and always has off the court issues with players. Luckily it will be her last at UK.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
PAC - ASU, Oregon, Washington
Interesting to not include Arizona and Washington St, who only have 1 more conference win than Washington.

There may be varying issues w/ the 3 schools mentioned, but come on, the Pac 12 is brutal this year, somebody has to take some losses. The top 6 and the bottom 6 have very much separated in the standings.

With Washington there is obviously something wrong with the water in Seattle. For 7 years now, doesn't matter who the players are or who the coach is, they can't shoot and they struggle to score points. I would say it's the rims except visiting teams aren't always afflicted with shooting woes when they visit.

Reaction Score
I looked on my chart and found the following teams have won three or less conference games:

• B12 - I'll skip this one - TCU is injuries and the 2 newbies that don't have 4 wins (UCF, Houston) significantly upgraded conference
  • BE - Butler, Xavier

The question is, are these injury / rebuilding situations or are these teams just lacking talent and perhaps needing a coaching change?
Georgia is in a rebuilding season (and they also lack the talent). I expect they will be better next year but they will need to have a good off season in the portal.
Kentucky needs a change at the coaching position. Elzy is running that program into the ground.
Missouri is a player or two away from being a tournament team. They have some good players but just aren't quite there. I don't think I would call it a rebuilding season though.

Reaction Score

• BE - Butler, Xavier

Big Ten: Rutgers-Rebuilding. It is going to take a minute or two for them to change their culture. Northwestern & Purdue, just a talent situation. Both programs have decent coaches and talent. It just developing that talent.

Reaction Score
Arizona State issues:

Coach-lacking experience coaching________(fill in the blank)

Fired AD - Ray Anderson enough said.

President - Mike "real estate developer" Crow

AD search-for a real laugh https://www.ft.com/content/7a069bbc-db5c-47c5-a246-c7eb10f33496

If anyone thinks Greg Bryne is returning to the valley I've got an investment opportunity for them

Desert Financial Arena is past 50 years old

bbsamjj

Rutgers Rooter
Reaction Score
Big Ten: Rutgers-Rebuilding. It is going to take a minute or two for them to change their culture. Northwestern & Purdue, just a talent situation. Both programs have decent coaches and talent. It just developing that talent.
Rutgers has talent, but a lot of it is new. Their best defensive and glue player has been out all season, and Smikle's season has been a wash.

They do bring in a 5-star guard next year, but this team is going to need to get a lot better defensively and with turnovers.

Coler

LSU/Rutgers fan
Reaction Score
Rutgers has talent, but a lot of it is new. Their best defensive and glue player has been out all season, and Smikle's season has been a wash.

They do bring in a 5-star guard next year, but this team is going to need to get a lot better defensively and with turnovers.
CW needs to do a better job shopping the portal.

CompSci87

Stanford fan
Reaction Score
Interesting to not include Arizona and Washington St, who only have 1 more conference win than Washington.

There may be varying issues w/ the 3 schools mentioned, but come on, the Pac 12 is brutal this year, somebody has to take some losses. The top 6 and the bottom 6 have very much separated in the standings.

With Washington there is obviously something wrong with the water in Seattle. For 7 years now, doesn't matter who the players are or who the coach is, they can't shoot and they struggle to score points. I would say it's the rims except visiting teams aren't always afflicted with shooting woes when they visit.
Hehe.

For ASU, they're rebuilding with a new coach after CTT's retirement. It's too soon to say if the new coach is or will be successful.

Oregon had a major exodus through the transfer portal.

Reaction Score
Georgia is in a rebuilding season (and they also lack the talent). I expect they will be better next year but they will need to have a good off season in the portal.
Kentucky needs a change at the coaching position. Elzy is running that program into the ground.
Missouri is a player or two away from being a tournament team. They have some good players but just aren't quite there. I don't think I would call it a rebuilding season though.
Missouri’s never going to amount to anything til they change coaches. You can’t win in the SEC like that.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score

I chose 3 wins as the cutoff to limit the number of teams discussed. It worked across all the major conferences (3 teams each in that boat).

Most of them are - regardless of the reason - truly bad. As to Arizona, I could write a book. Very, very frustrating - we have been active fans (originally at Rutgers) for 28 years. This is one of like 4 or so seasons over the years that just went off the rails. But the reasons are more obvious than some of the others.

Reaction Score
Hehe.

For ASU, they're rebuilding with a new coach after CTT's retirement. It's too soon to say if the new coach is or will be successful.

Oregon had a major exodus through the transfer portal.
No, not too early. It was obvious during the one win conference season last year. This year continues to be a disaster and without the ability to recruit the Devil's who are a lock for another 20 loss season will be in the same position next year.

As I indicated previously the real question is can the disarray and incompetence and? After firing Ray Anderson the finalists for the AD position are laughable.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
So Coach Abe at Georgia is in year 2 and while she had a good year 1 with her transfers from UCF, she needs to recruit better and hit the transfer portal. While Elzy is brutal, she is signed through the 2027 season. She is owed $2.475 million after this year. I am not so sure Kentucky will fire her and eat that money this year, she will get one more year. Robin Pingeton at Missouri will be let go this year. She was put on the clock by the AD at the end of last season to make the NCAAT this year and she’s not making it. It’s over do for her to go. She had one good set of years with Sophie Cunningham and that was it.
Kellie Harper will be an interesting situation as her contract is through April of 2028 at $1 mil to $1.2 mil per year for the next 4 years. If she fails to make the NCAT this year, is that enough to fire her and buy out her contract?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom