womens volleyball playoffs | The Boneyard

womens volleyball playoffs

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
We usually get a thread going for this. All the Regional Finals were today. There's only one match still going. Here's an absolute SHOCKER: no Big 10 teams are left. Shut out of the Final 4 for the first time in ages. That is stunning.

Louisville and Pitt appear to be new powers in vball. Both have gotten to the Final 4 in back to back seasons, and I think both lost a bunch of players after last year. Texas is there again of course, and San Diego is giving Stanford all they can handle. 2 of the matches today were 5 setters.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
3 out of 4 matches were 5 setters. 2 of them saw an upset by the lower seeded/visiting team. San Diego knocked off Stanford in the night cap, first ever Final 4 for the Toreros.

No Big 10 or Pac 12 teams in the Final 4, I'm guessing that's never happened before.

Reaction Score
I was at the Louisville-Oregon match yesterday. Yum Center was electric with 8700 fans including a nice contingent of Oregon fans. Cards dug deep to pull this one out.

Heck of a spot for a rubber match with Pitt.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
We usually get a thread going for this. All the Regional Finals were today. There's only one match still going. Here's an absolute SHOCKER: no Big 10 teams are left. Shut out of the Final 4 for the first time in ages. That is stunning.

Louisville and Pitt appear to be new powers in vball. Both have gotten to the Final 4 in back to back seasons, and I think both lost a bunch of players after last year. Texas is there again of course, and San Diego is giving Stanford all they can handle. 2 of the matches today were 5 setters.

Came here looking for this thread, thanks for starting it. Yesterday was the best day of volleyball, maybe ever. I didn’t catch the Texas game but the other three were incredible.

Louisville fought off a swing on match point by Oregon to come back in 5, Pitt trailed 13-12 in the 5th at Wisconsin and pulled out a 15-13 win, Stanford was 2 points from beating USD until USD made some insane plays to force a 5th where they dominated down the stretch. The USD game was especially gratifying considering many (myself included) felt they deserved to host over Stanford, so beating Stanford at Stanford must have been incredibly validating for them.

Final Four is this Thursday, we should have some great matches. The Louisville/Pitt matchup should be a doozy. They split earlier this year, though both teams played maybe their worst match of the season in their losses. Louisville looks potent with Debeer back in the lineup though she injured herself last game. Pitt I think looks shakier but they have more size on the pins and can definitely win it. Love seeing both DBK/Fisher find success at their programs. I would not be surprised to see both in the BIG in a few years, as I’m guessing Minnesota makes a strong push for Fisher after this year, and DBK is next in line for the Nebraska gig.

The second semifinal should also be great. Texas has been #1 all year and is immensely physical and talented. USD can hold their own though. They have good size across the front row, play great defense and run a beautiful offense with Gabby Blossom who is the best setter in the nation this year. I think it goes at least 4 sets. Texas will be favored but historically has choked in these types of matches, and this USD squad is gritty and tough as nails so I think it’s a toss up. #1 vs #2 in the polls.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
It was by far the best Elite Eight I can remember. Three of the four matches went the distance, with two teams winning epic matches on the road.

Kudos to Oregon for knocking out Nebraska in the Sweet 16 after facing multiple match points in set 4. What an irony that they would then go down in very similar fashion to Louisville.

First time in the NCAA volleyball era that no Pac-12/10 or Big Ten team made the last four. Two ACC teams made it for the 2nd year in a row, and this year we are guaranteed the first-ever ACC finalist.

Loved seeing San Diego break through. They were definitely hosed by the committee forcing them to play at Stanford.

bballnut90

Reaction Score
It was by far the best Elite Eight I can remember. Three of the four matches went the distance, with two teams winning epic matches on the road.

Kudos to Oregon for knocking out Nebraska in the Sweet 16 after facing multiple match points in set 4. What an irony that they would then go down in very similar fashion to Louisville.

First time in the NCAA volleyball era that no Pac-12/10 or Big Ten team made the last four. Two ACC teams made it for the 2nd year in a row, and this year we are guaranteed the first-ever ACC finalist.

Loved seeing San Diego break through. They were definitely hosed by the committee forcing them to play at Stanford.
Strangely poetic how both Oregon and Nebraska went out in almost the exact same manner. Nebraska in particular has to be kicking themselves. They botched multiple swings on match point (tentative swing by Kubik and a horrible set off a free ball by Evans), then the coaching staff inexplicably sub in a 5’6” serving sub for a middle without substitutions left, which leads to having a 5-6 middle and their weaker setter in the front row to end the game, which strangely ends on a dig kill. Burned the chance to play at home for a title after being preseason #1 or 2 all year. Just not their season.

Plebe

Reaction Score
Strangely poetic how both Oregon and Nebraska went out in almost the exact same manner. Nebraska in particular has to be kicking themselves. They botched multiple swings on match point (tentative swing by Kubik and a horrible set off a free ball by Evans), then the coaching staff inexplicably sub in a 5’6” serving sub for a middle without substitutions left, which leads to having a 5-6 middle and their weaker setter in the front row to end the game, which strangely ends on a dig kill. Burned the chance to play at home for a title after being preseason #1 or 2 all year. Just not their season.
I think injury issues really plagued Nebraska and made it impossible for them to find their characteristic late-season stride. Kenzie Knuckles, in particular, was an irreplaceable loss. Fortunately for them (and unfortunately for those of us who root against them), they have a monster recruiting class coming in and so won't be going anywhere.

The saddest moment for me was seeing the indomitable Brooke Nuneviller crying after the Louisville loss. What a joy she's been to watch for 5 years.

But Oregon will be a force next year. Mimi Colyer is an absolute beast, their setter is very good, and they have other strong pieces coming back.

Stanford also has everyone coming back, so watch out for them. Seems like all the Final Four teams stand to lose a lot to graduation. Transfer portal, of course, could change the equation, as it certainly did this past season for all 4 of them.

Reaction Score
Stanford fans knew it was extremely close between who should of been the #1 seed between San Diego and Stanford. I had a bad feeling when it went to the 5th set.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
I didn't watch the entirety of all 4 matches (well that would've been impossible, since 2 went long and overlapped the beginning of the next match), but what I did see was consistently excellent defense by everybody. So many great digs on shots that looked like they were going to score a point.

Reaction Score

Oregon should also be kicking themselves because they had a good swing at match point, but the setter chose to set their struggling and tired frosh (in that particular moment) instead of the red hot clutch player Lewis. Multiple chances to put distance as well in previous points.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Tangential, but Keegan Cook has left Washington to become the new head coach at Minnesota.

bballnut90

Reaction Score
Tangential, but Keegan Cook has left Washington to become the new head coach at Minnesota.
Nice hire for Minny. Cook has done a nice job at Washington and seems well liked by his players. I hope Washington lands a good candidate. They’ve have a great program for the last 20 years and have a solid fan base. They significantly underperformed this year and lose a lot next. Won’t be the easiest job.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
They significantly underperformed this year
I didn't follow very close this year, but my understanding is a series of injuries to pin hitters was too much for them to overcome. They were having a decent season, but it went off the rails down the stretch.

Plebe

Reaction Score
Nice hire for Minny. Cook has done a nice job at Washington and seems well liked by his players. I hope Washington lands a good candidate. They’ve have a great program for the last 20 years and have a solid fan base. They significantly underperformed this year and lose a lot next. Won’t be the easiest job.
It surely says something about the status of Washington and/or Pac-12 volleyball that UW, as beautiful as its Seattle campus is renowned to be, is now but a stepping stone to the frigid steppes of Minneapolis.

Reaction Score
I'm glad this is here. I love volleyball, but I'm a fan from afar. I was first drawn to the sport during the 1998 National Championship match between the Misty may led Long Beach State(who was like Tennessee women's basketball) and Penn State(which was like UCONN to me). I then became a Penn State fan and I guess I still root for them to win. After they went on that run between 2007-2012, they sort of fell off. What happened?

As for this year, if Texas doesn't win, are they considered chokers? Its seems like they're always the top seed and never win.

FWIW-I want Pitt or SD to win.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
It surely says something about the status of Washington and/or Pac-12 volleyball that UW, as beautiful as its Seattle campus is renowned to be, is now but a stepping stone to the frigid steppes of Minneapolis.
Jim McLaughlin, who won a national championship and consistently brought UW deep into the playoffs, also left Seattle for northern Indiana and Notre Dame. However, he did that, in part, because his wife was a midwest native and had played sports at Notre Dame.
McLaughlin got the Irish on track in his three seasons there, but had to retire for health reasons, which I believe were related to a back issue.

Maybe there's a similar reason for this recent move (or the common motives: money, resources) because PAC-12 volleyball looked pretty good to me with Oregon a point away from the Final Four and Stanford having a young, talented team.

Dillon77

Reaction Score
I think the "Elite 8" of volleyball -- particularly when the hosting team is involved -- is just about the most intense (crazed?) atmosphere in collegiate sports. The gym-like structure at Austin was insanely loud and I haven't heard the Yum Center at Louisville as loud as it was (ever) cheering the Cardinals on vs. Oregon in that fourth set. All power to Pitt and San Diego for keeping their respective and collective focus in such environments. I really look forward to the semi's and finals! Thanks for the thread.

Reaction Score
I think the "Elite 8" of volleyball -- particularly when the hosting team is involved -- is just about the most intense (crazed?) atmosphere in collegiate sports. The gym-like structure at Austin was insanely loud and I haven't heard the Yum Center at Louisville as loud as it was (ever) cheering the Cardinals on vs. Oregon in that fourth set. All power to Pitt and San Diego for keeping their respective and collective focus in such environments. I really look forward to the semi's and finals! Thanks for the thread.
I've missed only two or three WBB games at the Yum since it opened. I've been there for huge games against top opponents - UConn, Notre Dame, Tennessee, Maryland - and you are correct. I've never heard it that loud. It was electric in that arena.

bballnut90

Reaction Score
And now there are two. It will be Louisville vs. Texas for all the marbles.
I was fortunate enough to attend tonight, what a great night of volleyball. USD fought hard but never found their rhythm vs Texas, who just looked more physical and was clearly the better team the last 3 sets. Something just seemed off almost all night for USD, but still an incredible run and season nonetheless. Their only losses on the year were to Louisville and Texas. Very happy to see Petrie take home COY.

Louisville/Pitt was definitely the better matchup. It took a set or 2 but both teams battled hard in sets 3 and 4 and I loved the wild momentum swings. Louisville just dominated the 5th. I don't think I've ever seen a 5th set finish 15-2 before. Meltdown by Pitt but Louisville's block was insane.

It's pretty nuts to see that Claire Chaussee has turned into one of the top 2-3 candidates for player of the year this season. She was unreal tonight. I coached for her HS club a long time ago when she was just on the 13s team and have followed her career since then, and it has been incredible to see the player she's become, especially considering she wasn't a top 100 recruit and didn't cement a starting spot until midway through last year.

HuskyFan1125

"Dont be the same, be better"
Reaction Score
That fifth set in the Pitt/Louisville game. The Cardinals looked peak!! I mean i dont know if i have ever seen that kinda domination in a final set. 15-2 and it wasn’t even close. There were times PItt looked like it would take the match with their runs but Louisville stormed back and then delivered the knockout. Impressive.

Dillon77

Reaction Score
That fifth set in the Pitt/Louisville game. The Cardinals looked peak!! I mean i dont know if i have ever seen that kinda domination in a final set. 15-2 and it wasn’t even close. There were times PItt looked like it would take the match with their runs but Louisville stormed back and then delivered the knockout. Impressive.
Seems like we can borrow a phrase from many a hoop announcer: "It's a game of runs...."

Louisville did something -- perhaps not as grandiose, but equally effective -- in the regional finals, when they came back to withstand a match point and won the fourth set against Oregon. Then then smooshed the Ducks in the 5th set.

Note to Texas: finish 'em early. Remember, Mohammed Ali and his "rope a dope" came from Louisville, too!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom