Women's 3-point line has been moved | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Women's 3-point line has been moved

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
One thing this will mean is that “long range” bombers with seemingly unlimited range who can shoot off a dribble will increasingly be in demand, someone like Caroline for instance. If she can hit her shot in college like she did in HS, Caroline has a really good chance to break into UConn’s extremely competitive rotation as a freshman.

Reaction Score
It's about time.

It will affect some teams, but not many. As for UConn, Paige and company already shoot from a good distance behind the "old" arc.

As for Aubrey and Mir, they shoiuld be working on their mid-range game - 6' to 15' range. Neither need to be 3 point shooters.
For those who are saying”this won’t change anything as our shooters all shoot from a foot or so behind the line” I must disagree. They shoot from back there to avoid inadvertently stepping on the line and making it a two point attempt. It stands to reason that they will continue that. Therefore, the distance will actually be longer than what they are currently used to and may result in lower percentages even for them. However, all things being equal, I believe we are in possibly the best position to benefit from this as our coaches have signed at least three, possibly more, players who are among the best long range shooters in the country. You have to wonder if Geno & Chris saw this coming and recruited accordingly!

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
To a legitimate 3 point shooter, they couldn’t care less. You could move the line back another 6” and it would not change their mindset or shot. Most long range shooters take pride in hitting shots taken well behind the arc.

Carnac:
I probably should've gone back to reread and edit that line. I was primairly referring to viewers who have to look at some courts that have multitude of lines running through them. And, no, not every fan has them memorized. (That said, before the pandemic took me away from my hoops league, I've played on floors that my guards had to study hard....at least for a second. My few days of long-range shooting are long gone. :rolleyes: )

As for the players, I'm in distinct agreement with you (note 2nd graph): Sam Brunelle and every one of the Mabrey girls go very deep on their shots (To my mind, Michaela shot the longest ones, but Marina was close.)

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that the 3 pt contest that Caroline just won was all from the men's 3 pt line. If so it already shows that she can hit from the 3 pt line. This years team will have at least 5 players that can hit from the new line. Azzi, Caroline, CW, PB, and Saylor, two others that most likely be able to hit it is EW and NM. That's a total of 7 players that can at anytime help open up the interior for Amari, AE, AG, Dorka, MM, ONO, and PG. Maybe one good thing will come out of the move, Liv won't be shooting the 3 pointer this coming season. The highlighted red is for the new additions for this season.:rolleyes:

Reaction Score
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that the 3 pt contest that Caroline just won was all from the men's 3 pt line. If so it already shows that she can hit from the 3 pt line. This years team will have at least 5 players that can hit from the new line. Azzi, Caroline, CW, PB, and Saylor, two others that most likely be able to hit it is EW and NM. That's a total of 7 players that can at anytime help open up the interior for Amari, AE, AG, Dorka, MM, ONO, and PG. Maybe one good thing will come out of the move, Liv won't be shooting the 3 pointer this coming season. The highlighted red is for the new additions for this season.:rolleyes:
The contest was held in a HS gym and the 3 point line is the same for both boys and girls at 19.75 feet. Basketball Court Dimensions and Hoop Height: A Quick Guide Of course that means the women will be adjusting to 22.15 feet in college now.

Reaction Score
I'm not a big fan of this on the surface. I like scoring. But overall I have no idea. Hope it proves to show well. I hope it doesn't mean the team with the biggest center automatically wins. I love guard play.

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
The contest was held in a HS gym and the 3 point line is the same for both boys and girls at 19.75 feet. Basketball Court Dimensions and Hoop Height: A Quick Guide Of course that means the women will be adjusting to 22.15 feet in college now.
But all of them have played in International contests which is the same as the new line. They were able to hit them then and were shooting them in US team qualifications. Nika has been playing that line all her life, til she got to UConn.

Reaction Score
hopefully only when women’s hands grow to be the same size as men’s hands.
Exactly. Remember that young girls are using the smaller ball as they are grow up and changing it ignores a reality that would only be a disadvantage to girls and women.

Reaction Score
As information, when the men moved the 3-pt line back 16” for the 2019-2020 season, 3-pt shot attempts remained about the same while the overall shooting percentage for the 350 DI schools dropped about 1% from 34% to 33%.
That is a very interesting statistic. I would expect it to have a bigger impact on the women's average at least for the first year.

Reaction Score
Based on what I saw this past season this will have minimal effect. Percentages may go down a point or two. Dana Evans probably took half of her attempts from a foot or more behind the line, as did many other good three-point shooters that I saw.
I agree. I think it will just separate the girls from the women.

Reaction Score
Outside game? These two need to concentrate on a game inside the arc and finishing at the basket. Anything else would be gravy.
Yeah they need to work on a midrange game. Mir could really use a nice floater when she is amongst the trees.

Reaction Score
Me too (played before the line), and just two referees.
Did you have 3-point range from the jump?
We played a lot of 1 on 1, so my range was top of the key range.

Reaction Score
It will definitely open up the floor. I believe it favours more athletic players rather than heavy footed bigs.

Reaction Score
Should help UConn immensely. They have the best 3pt shooters in the country, so it will give them an advantage. It also opens up spacing as well, which will help offset UConn's post/size disadvantage against big physical teams like South Carolina & Stanford.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Did you have 3-point range from the jump?
We played a lot of 1 on 1, so my range was top of the key range.
I was a post. Never shot beyond 5’ of the basket. I came right behind Abdul-Jabbar. The hook shot was very popular then. I became decent within that range. Also a hard shot to block.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Yeah they need to work on a midrange game. Mir could really use a nice floater when she is amongst the trees.
Floater? How about a jump shot from anywhere inside the arc? The last time she shot a 3 it got stuck between the rim and the backboard. The same goes for AG.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
For those who are saying”this won’t change anything as our shooters all shoot from a foot or so behind the line” I must disagree. They shoot from back there to avoid inadvertently stepping on the line and making it a two point attempt. It stands to reason that they will continue that. Therefore, the distance will actually be longer than what they are currently used to and may result in lower percentages even for them. However, all things being equal, I believe we are in possibly the best position to benefit from this as our coaches have signed at least three, possibly more, players who are among the best long range shooters in the country. You have to wonder if Geno & Chris saw this coming and recruited accordingly!
I usually agree with you Carnac. But are you saying women shooters shoot from beyond the men's 3pt line (sometimes well beyond) to avoid stepping on the women's 3 pt line?

Last edited:

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
From the ESPN article I linked earlier, this one sentence:

South Carolina coach Dawn Staley, who also played many years professionally, said she is fine with keeping the women's college line where it is.
Dawn might prefer that games are all played in a phone booth.

Reaction Score
To a legitimate 3 point shooter, they couldn’t care less. You could move the line back another 6” and it would not change their mindset or shot. Most long range shooters take pride in hitting shots taken well behind the arc.
But they probably shoot less effectively the farther they go back.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom