Women’s Basketball Viewership Up | The Boneyard

Women’s Basketball Viewership Up

Reaction Score
Link

No surprise with increased visibility and parity. The product is great and when networks put games on TV, people watch.
So true. The more access to watch teams and the parity over the years, is helping to grow the game. This is great to see the level of viewership growing. Those of us that have been around the women's game since 1982, or longer, and watched the growth of games on TV and dealing with the "Nobody watches girls/women's basketball" comments all of these years, we can show them the numbers.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
It does seem like there is increased momentum for women's basketball over the past few years.

I imagine the recent crop of exciting young players like Caitlin and Paige is a factor as well as the rise of South Carolina destroying the "doesn't UConn win every year" perception.

Though it also seems like society is slowly becoming more supportive of women's sports in general lately

Reaction Score
It does seem like there is increased momentum for women's basketball over the past few years.

I imagine the recent crop of exciting young players like Caitlin and Paige is a factor as well as the rise of South Carolina destroying the "doesn't UConn win every year" perception.

Though it also seems like society is slowly becoming more supportive of women's sports in general lately
Great points. You are right on both. Society is slowly becoming more supportive of women's sports. Throw in the skill level of players, like Paige, Caitlin, Aaliyah Boston, Maya Moore, and Stewie over the years has helped greatly.

Reaction Score
Great points. You are right on both. Society is slowly becoming more supportive of women's sports. Throw in the skill level of players, like Paige, Caitlin, Aaliyah Boston, Maya Moore, and Stewie over the years has helped greatly.
The class shown by the players helps too. I have liked wbb for a long time, especially when our homegrown A'ja Wilson took South Carolina to a title. Yeah, I liked it.

However, I grew to love the game as the result of a loss, When Fran Belibi and Haley Jones rushed to console Boston in the FF4 after she missed the game winner even BEFORE they rushed to celebrate with their Stanford teammates, I began to love the game. The sportsmanship has all but disappeared from men's sports that are all about me-me-me-me-me. WBB still stresses us-us-us-us-us and the post-game handshake is more than an ancient ritual.

Yeah, I'm an old fjart from an era gone by. Oh well, I can still find what I like about sports in in wbb.

Reaction Score
Last edited:
Reaction Score
The portal, the extra covid year and NIL changed the landscape for both good and bad. Two good things are increased talent with all the 5th year seniors and grad transfers and parity bec teams can add that one extra player from portal to help them be competitive immediately. Both of these things are viewer friendly. Also, NIL has allowed these kids to be all over social media, on billboards etc which has increased player visibility. As communities get to see/know these players off the court, they want to follow them on the court.

Reaction Score
The Caitlyn Clark effect imo. It will be great when Caitlyn and Paige will be playing at the same time again.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom