WNBA vs NBA shooting | The Boneyard

WNBA vs NBA shooting

Reaction Score
Why are women better free throw shooters and men better three point shooters?

Is it the ball size, practice, concentration, of something else ?

Thanks,

Reaction Score
The ball size is a big factor in shooting in general, but the men have more strength so that probably helps them from longer range. I do see some women though that I would think would give any man a run for their money even from three point land. Concentration I think is really important, and extremely high on both sides. One other factor is hand size. Some of the worse free throw shooters also had incredibly large hands and long fingers.

Reaction Score
I believe Azzi won the 3 pt contest at Stefan Curry's camp 2 years in a row... men and women...
What's your point. Actual game statistics easily support: Women shoot free throws better. Men shoot threes better. Never use an outlier to prove a point. Delle Donne leads women's free throw shooters. S. Curry leads men's. They have the same percentage, but I would not say men shoot free throws as well as women.

Reaction Score
What's your point. Actual game statistics easily support: Women shoot free throws better. Men shoot threes better. Never use an outlier to prove a point. Delle Donne leads women's free throw shooters. S. Curry leads men's. They have the same percentage, but I would not say men shoot free throws as well as women.
"Lies, damn lies, and statistics." :) :) :)

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
The only point I see, and agree with, is that there are some exceptional female 3 point shooters - and yes, there have been some exceptional men's free throw shooters.

I don't think that negates your over-all thesis. Men's players are mostly taller and stronger than women shooters so I suspect that - on average - it should be no surprise that they are better shooters from 3 points, it is ultimately "easier" for them.

As for free throws, I think a bit of it is simply more practice. Not the whole explanation, but I suspect a factor.

Reaction Score
The WNBA ball is smaller than the NBA's. The circumferences of the rims are identical. Likewise in college and high school.

Reaction Score
One thing that may make a big difference for 3s is not just strength, but explosiveness (which, I suppose, is a subset of strength).

In an actual basketball game, you're being guarded. So your ability to evade a defender and quickly get off a jump shot, or your ability to jump over the defender to get a clear shot, etc., are all related to explosive agility.

This could explain why you can put a man and a woman in a 3 point shooting contest and they'll perform similarly, but some of those men will go on to be more effective taking contested game shots.

Reaction Score
The only point I see, and agree with, is that there are some exceptional female 3 point shooters - and yes, there have been some exceptional men's free throw shooters.

I don't think that negates your over-all thesis. Men's players are mostly taller and stronger than women shooters so I suspect that - on average - it should be no surprise that they are better shooters from 3 points, it is ultimately "easier" for them.

As for free throws, I think a bit of it is simply more practice. Not the whole explanation, but I suspect a factor.
for free throws: It's the same reason that electronic component assembly lines are largely manned by women - ability to maintain focus and sustain repetitive and consistent hand / wrist motions over a period of time.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom