WNBA - Moriah and Gabby both have Career Nights | The Boneyard

WNBA - Moriah and Gabby both have Career Nights

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Happy for both of them. Would like to see more 20+ point games from both of them in the coming days/weeks. Two of my favorites. :)

Reaction Score
I watched parts of the game and Mo and Gabby did look good. I always get a kick out of seeing Gabby run down court with her unique bouncy stride. Might it be a remnant of her runup stride she used in her highjumping days?

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Congrats to Mo and Gabby. Both were more aggressive than usual. I’d like to see them put up these numbers more often. I think Gabby is a candidate for All-Défensive team.

Reaction Score
Maybe the case for Gabby but I believe early in Moriah's career with San Antonio, she had some truly sensational games with +30 scoring.
Hard to score more if Moriah plays with some ball hogs esp on her former team. Glad she found a home in the Lynx.

Reaction Score
Hard to score more if Moriah plays with some ball hogs esp on her former team. Glad she found a home in the Lynx.
Moriah is an Unrestricted free agent and guess who needs a point guard. That might be enough for Stewie to sign a deal with Seattle.
That's the kind of team Moriah would thrive on. Pressure defense, and push the pace, 5 players who can pass shoot, and drive to the hoop.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Moriah is an Unrestricted free agent and guess who needs a point guard. That might be enough for Stewie to sign a deal with Seattle.
That's the kind of team Moriah would thrive on. Pressure defense, and push the pace, 5 players who can pass shoot, and drive to the hoop.

A lineup with Mo and Jewell in the backcourt and Stewie and Gabby at the forward spots would be very athletic.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Ahem. As a Seattle resident, I have to point out that both Vandersloot and Plum will be unrestricted free agents (per an ESPN article). Both have ties to the Seattle area. To me, those are the first 2 players the Storm should be looking at to bring in to run the team post-Bird.

Back to the topic, this was a season high for Gabby but I'm pretty sure during the game they said she'd scored 26 previously for her career high.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Ahem. As a Seattle resident, I have to point out that both Vandersloot and Plum will be unrestricted free agents (per an ESPN article). Both have ties to the Seattle area. To me, those are the first 2 players the Storm should be looking at to bring in to run the team post-Bird.

Back to the topic, this was a season high for Gabby but I'm pretty sure during the game they said she'd scored 26 previously for her career high.
I'd like to see Sloot or Kelsey with the Storm, but they need to keep Stewie to be an elite team. Based on what I saw over the weekend, Seattle's next PG just might be Gabby Williams.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
I'd like to see Sloot or Kelsey with the Storm, but they need to keep Stewie to be an elite team. Based on what I saw over the weekend, Seattle's next PG just might be Gabby Williams.
The Stewie part is a given. I don't know if she'll wait to see how they build the roster for next season, or if her mind is already made up to leave. I don't have a good feeling about that, but that's not really based on anything, so I hope I'm wrong.

Reaction Score

Plum would be ok, but if you are build ing to win multiple championships you need to bring in a young point guard. Not someone in their mid 30's.
The problem with Vandersloot and Plum is contracts would be to high.
Stewie and Jewell are max Gabby at 140,000, Russell already at 160,000.
You need to get Ezi an extension, before she becomes a restricted free agent.
You also need money for a bench. You can't expect Plum not to get max, same with Vandersloot.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Plum would be ok, but if you are build ing to win multiple championships you need to bring in a young point guard. Not someone in their mid 30's.
The problem with Vandersloot and Plum is contracts would be to high.
Stewie and Jewell are max Gabby at 140,000, Russell already at 160,000.
You need to get Ezi an extension, before she becomes a restricted free agent.
You also need money for a bench. You can't expect Plum not to get max, same with Vandersloot.

Yeah, cap space is a problem. But you can't expect to bring in a Championship caliber PG for bargain basement price.

Jefferson has been fairly injury prone, so she's a big risk in my opinion. She's missed major chunks of 3 of the previous 4 seasons. Don't really see how committing to her as the next PG to lead the franchise is a solid idea.

Anyway, back to the cap. Bird and January are both done after this year. That's gotta clear some space.

Wow, just looked it up, Bird has really been sacrificing $ for the team. She's only at $72,00--hard to believe. January is $140,000. Prince is $115,000--let's just get rid of that contract as well.

Carnac

Reaction Score
Congrats to Mo and Gabby. Both were more aggressive than usual. I’d like to see them put up these numbers more often. I think Gabby is a candidate for All-Défensive team.
If the proverbial “leash” is removed and Gabby is allowed to play (within the scope of team play of course), She could do some very good things. Get Gabulous involved in the offense.

Carnac

Reaction Score
Yeah, cap space is a problem. But you can't expect to bring in a Championship caliber PG for bargain basement price.

Jefferson has been fairly injury prone, so she's a big risk in my opinion. She's missed major chunks of 3 of the previous 4 seasons. Don't really see how committing to her as the next PG to lead the franchise is a solid idea.

Anyway, back to the cap. Bird and January are both done after this year. That's gotta clear some space.

Wow, just looked it up, Bird has really been sacrificing $ for the team. She's only at $72,00--hard to believe. January is $140,000. Prince is $115,000--let's just get rid of that contract as well.
I simply love Moriah. She’s one of my all time favorites, but I agree with your assessment of her recent injuries. The best “ability”, is availability. You can’t help your team win games dressed in street clothes. :eek:

Reaction Score
With Ezi coming on Seattle doesn't need a point guard who shoots a lot, Gray would be a good fit. Plum is a scorer, and Seattle already has Stewie, Loyd, and now Ezi who is only 22.
That's why if Moriah can stay healthy, she is a better fit offensively, and defensively.
They also have Melbourne coming over from Australia next year, she can play the point. She stayed in Australia this year, and she is on the National team, she is 19.
Seattle did the same thing with Ezi, drafted her and waited a year for her to sign her WNBA contract.

Reaction Score
I’d love to see Moriah stay with Lynx and play with Pheesa.
She needs to go to a winning team, Moriah has been on rebuilding teams all 6 years in the league.
She needs to go to a team with a chance to win, and with Sylvia retiring Minnesota is a few years away from being a championship contender.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom