WNBA Draft (merged) | Page 9 | The Boneyard

WNBA Draft (merged)

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Both can ball. Imagine ur Jacy Sheldon and u have Ashley Owusu going at u. Dallas has talent for sure. IDK who their 12 will b
C-McCowan/Brown/Soares
F-Howard/Cannon
F-Sabally/Siegrist
G-Ogunbowale/Sheldon/Lopez-Senechal/Leite
G-Dangerfield/Burton/Owusu

At least 2 of those players are getting cut. Probably Owusu (who I still think has star potential if she gets a shot) and I have no idea who the last cut would be. It's a roster of All Stars and recent top 5 picks trying to last in an extremely competitive league.

Reaction Score
C-McCowan/Brown/Soares
F-Howard/Cannon
F-Sabally/Siegrist
G-Ogunbowale/Sheldon/Lopez-Senechal/Leite
G-Dangerfield/Burton/Owusu

At least 2 of those players are getting cut. Probably Owusu (who I still think has star potential if she gets a shot) and I have no idea who the last cut would be. It's a roster of All Stars and recent top 5 picks trying to last in an extremely competitive league.
This was helpful. Id imagine Leite may be stashed. I'm not sold on Soares. I liked her in college but it was such a small sample size. For the national team she was on the perimeter a lot.

I could see Burton or Cannon being let go as well.

Reaction Score
Certainly a stable organization, without question.
I watched Myisha Hines-Allen grow up in my hometown of Montclair and not only is she one tough cookie, she's a friendly, enthusiastic young woman who -- I'm sure -- will reach out to Aaliyah.
Montclair,NJ! Home of the "twin comets"!

Reaction Score

Attachments

• IMG_2739.jpeg
    IMG_2739.jpeg
    339.7 KB · Views: 80
  • IMG_2740.jpeg
    IMG_2740.jpeg
    302.9 KB · Views: 97

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
This was helpful. Id imagine Leite may be stashed. I'm not sold on Soares. I liked her in college but it was such a small sample size. For the national team she was on the perimeter a lot.

I could see Burton or Cannon being let go as well.
1st rounders usually don't get cut in training camp but it does happen occasionally. I'm also not super high on Soares based on her time at Iowa State, like you said, it was a small sample size. Cannon I think sticks since she was signed in the off season and this is a young roster who could use some veteran leadership. Burton I could see getting let go. I hope Owusu makes it, she was projected as a potential lottery pick 3 years ago and quietly had a really nice year at Penn State.

Reaction Score
1st rounders usually don't get cut in training camp but it does happen occasionally. I'm also not super high on Soares based on her time at Iowa State, like you said, it was a small sample size. Cannon I think sticks since she was signed in the off season and this is a young roster who could use some veteran leadership. Burton I could see getting let go. I hope Owusu makes it, she was projected as a potential lottery pick 3 years ago and quietly had a really nice year at Penn State.
I agree about Owusu. It was wild cuz I was just waiting for her to play and she finally got time during conference play. I believe her first game was January 14th and ended up playing 20 games total. If they didn't sustain all the injuries they did, that plan woulda worked out perfect and she may have led them to their first NCAA tournament in awhile. It gives me hope for Charlise Leger Walker who got hurt on 1/29.

TheFarmFan

Stanford Fan, Huskies Admirer
Reaction Score
Nika in Green!!

I think Seattle is a great fit for Nika. Nneka and Jewell will be great mentors and she can spell for either Jewell or SDS to distribute to either of the other - there really wasn't an obviously backup PG on their roster right now. This was a savvy pick by Seattle and they're lucky other teams (cough cough Liberty cough cough) let Nika languish until they got their first pick. I'm stoked.

Reaction Score
I did, nwhoopfan. Kate will never be a star, but she's gonna outwork everybody, and the Aces apparently agree. She was my favorite player on Iowa, as much as Caitlin was so great.
I just couldn't help myself to check the likes in this thread since Nika was drafted, several pages. You had a couple likes for Kate and even a post about her. Nadda for Nika, but hey no WOW's either. Funny that a lot of folks might say "will never be a star, but she's gonna outwork everybody" about our workhorse Nika. Not attacking you just honestly surprised you couldn't give Nika just one like as she moves on to the next level.

Reaction Score

I don't care what anyone says, Nika is going to have a long WNBA career. It could be with one team or multiple teams. The bottom line, you want a player like Nika on your team. Rec ball. Church league. Just balling on the playground. You want Nika! You gotta have Nika. I am so happy for her and Aaliyah on the draft tonight (yesterday).

Reaction Score

Congrats to these two young women, who consistently made the BY residents proud while they were student athletes. Now, they’ve taken the next step in their adult lives, and we’re even more proud of them. Go forth and do your thing, and remind the world of who you are. We, your fans, will continue to cheer you on in the W. Go Huskies! Go UConn!

Bald Husky

four score
Reaction Score
#24 Elizabeth Ktiley to Las Vegas

That's pretty shrewd. Won't be available to play due to injury, but down the road she's probably a lot better than the last player in the 2nd Round.
I wanted the Sun to pick her, not really needing her this year but next year there are a few free agents.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
I think Seattle is a great fit for Nika. Nneka and Jewell will be great mentors and she can spell for either Jewell or SDS to distribute to either of the other - there really wasn't an obviously backup PG on their roster right now. This was a savvy pick by Seattle and they're lucky other teams (cough cough Liberty cough cough) let Nika languish until they got their first pick. I'm stoked.
Morning-after thoughts: Kudos to Nika and her impending move to the Left Coast.

One other person who is known as being a mentor -- well, mother hen -- is Sami Whitcomb, who is a mainstay at Seattle at this point.

BTW, I've always been a fan of Nika, but Seattle isn't totally devoid of young international talent at point guard: Jade Melbourne completed her first year for Seattle and is probably younger than Nika! I'm not looking at them as competitors, though, but as a pair of very good young backcourters who can mix it up for the vets.

As per the coughing jags re: the Liberty. I watched Ole Miss twice in the NCAA's: first against Marquette, then (obviously) against the Fighting Irish. For the world I couldn't remember her, so I went back to the stats:
  • 1-8 against Marquette for 4 pts total against Marquette
  • 2-11 against Notre Dame for 6 pts.

This might be a case of overthinking/wish fulfillment (she's tall and athletic and Ole Miss plays swarming defense). Yes, she's a tad taller, but not a shooter or ball distributor. I expected Nika or Celeste Taylor in that spot. Interestingly, those two were chosen right next to each other a bit later.

bbsamjj

Rutgers Rooter
Reaction Score
I am not

One other person who is known as being a mentor -- well, mother hen -- is Sami Whitcomb, who is a mainstay at Seattle at this point.

BTW, I've always been a fan of Nika, but Seattle isn't totally devoid of young international talent at point guard: Jade Melbourne completed her first year for Seattle and is probably younger than Nika! I'm not looking at them as competitors, though, but as a pair of very good young backcourters who can mix it up for the vets.

As per the coughing jags re: the Liberty. I watched Ole Miss twice in the NCAA's: first against Marquette, then (obviously) against the Fighting Irish. For the world I couldn't remember her, so I went back to the stats:

This might be a case of overthinking/wish fulfillment (she's tall and athletic and Ole Miss plays swarming defense). Yes, she's a tad taller, but not a shooter or ball distributor. I expected Nika or Celeste Taylor in that spot. Interestingly, those two were chosen right next to each other a bit later.
I am not that familiar with Davis, and she definitely did not have a great NCAA tournament. But I did see part of Ole Miss's SEC semifinal game against LSU, and she was REALLY good: 21pts (8-15), 5 rebounds, 4 steals. The Liberty are deep and talented enough she won't be asked to make immediate impact.

Reaction Score
Not to be that guy as draft day is always fun, but it's always tough to see many of these players get cut a few weeks later. Teams social medias take advantage of the hype and the popularity of the women's tournament and then those same teams cut ur favorite college star. It's the nature of the sport. I do think Nika has a good shot at making the roster but it's not a slam dunk.

Reaction Score

Interesting you made this comment regarding Nika's draft position. I'm out of town and bumped into a gentleman wearing a NC State Shirt. We were chatting and he asked where Nika was drafted and was also surprised she didn't go in the first round.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Robrio89

Top Bottom