WNBA 2024 May 2024 | Page 7 | The Boneyard

WNBA 2024 May 2024

Status
Not open for further replies.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Bonner passed Dupree for #5 on the all time scoring list. Assisted by the A Train of course.

Indiana rallied for a minute, but overall they look terrible. Clark is struggling, too many TOs., but it goes way beyond her. Boston has been ineffective. Katie Lou looks like a player who missed a whole season. She's been invisible. Kelsey Mitchell didn't start and hasn't done much, I think she's coming back from an injury.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Lib win 85-80. 25 for JJ, 20 for Laney, 15 pts/8 assists for Ionescu. Atkins led the Mystics w/ 20.

WBBTakeover

Please trade Kierstan Bell!
Reaction Score
A sample size of 1 or 2 is always great proof of anything. She played PG for LV before Gray arrived, and her TOs were never particularly high for any of those seasons.
When was that (i.e. when did she effectively run the point for LV)? Couldn't have been 2017 because that season led to the acquisition of A'ja Wilson. 2018? Pretty sure they had multiple starters (including Moriah Jefferson). 2019? She came off the bench, didn't she? 2020? Lindsay Allen and Danielle Robinson played PG for Vegas in the Wubble while KP was rehabbing her Achilles away from the team. 2021? Laimbeer acquired Chelsea the very next season and she, not KP has been the starter at point ever since.

The point (no pun intended) is that KP hasn't ever been asked to be a full-time PG--yet she struggles with her decision making and can struggle with TOs when she's playing the position. She'll need to be smarter and stronger with the ball until Chelsea is 100%.

Reaction Score
Why are the Connecticut SUN wearing black? (awful unis)

Another eclipse reference?

WBBTakeover

Reaction Score
I had to stop watching the Fever-Sun game because Indiana kept fouling and turning the ball over. I may watch the rest this weekend.

Hopefully, people aren't freaking out over Caitlin's production. She's playing against a team that has a strong defensive mentality and players who can actually deliver on that side of the ball. Dijonai Carrington is not someone a young guard would want to face in her first regular season WNBA game. Caitlin should fare much better going against the Liberty backcourt the next two games (assuming Betnijah Laney-Hamilton either spends more time on Kelsey Mitchell or on the bench in foul trouble). She is capable of cooking Vandersloot and Ionescu (most decent WNBA guards are, but still).

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
This is a rough opening game for Clark, a lot of the passes and plays she made at Iowa wont work in the pros, not to mention these WNBA players have very quick hands. In particular she looks rattled when opposing teams hedge and she got stuck in a couple of double team situations. Props to the Sun, they're defending extremely well and are just so big and physical. Carrington and Ty Harris have both brilliant for Connecticut.

Fever are a work in progress, I wouldn't be shocked if they're in the lottery for the Paige sweepstakes next year. Not much cohesive play offensively which has resulted in a ton of TOs, not enough involvement of Boston who struggled, and KLS doesn't appear to be in game shape yet either. Nalyssa Smith has All-WNBA potential, she's going to wreak havoc on the league with her skill set and athleticism at 6-4.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
When was that (i.e. when did she effectively run the point for LV)? Couldn't have been 2017 because that season led to the acquisition of A'ja Wilson. 2018? Pretty sure they had multiple starters (including Moriah Jefferson). 2019? She came off the bench, didn't she? 2020? Lindsay Allen and Danielle Robinson played PG for Vegas in the Wubble while KP was rehabbing her Achilles away from the team. 2021? Laimbeer acquired Chelsea the very next season and she, not KP has been the starter at point ever since.

The point (no pun intended) is that KP hasn't ever been asked to be a full-time PG--yet she struggles with her decision making and can struggle with TOs when she's playing the position. She'll need to be smarter and stronger with the ball until Chelsea is 100%.
Started at PG most of year 1 and 2. You can argue about how effective she was, but my point was her TOs were not high or out of the ordinary. You cannot argue that.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Yeah the headlines are gonna be all about how tough of a game Clark has had, but Boston has been awful.

WBBTakeover

Reaction Score
Started at PG most of year 1 and 2. You can argue about how effective she was, but my point was her TOs were not high or out of the ordinary. You cannot argue that.
I stand by what I said. She's going to have to keep her TOs in check and make smart decisions with the ball for Vegas to do well while Chelsea recovers. What she has done recently (i.e. in her last five actual games) is not promising, but we'll see what happens starting tonight.

Reaction Score
Yeah the headlines are gonna be all about how tough of a game Clark has had, but Boston has been awful.
Let's not forget, they're playing Connecticut for their first game of the season. That's not an easy match up considering the Sun was the 3rd ranked team for defence last season.

WBBTakeover

Reaction Score
Fever are a work in progress, I wouldn't be shocked if they're in the lottery for the Paige sweepstakes next year. Not much cohesive play offensively which has resulted in a ton of TOs, not enough involvement of Boston who struggled, and KLS doesn't appear to be in game shape yet either. Nalyssa Smith has All-WNBA potential, she's going to wreak havoc on the league with her skill set and athleticism at 6-4.
I'm not quite there yet, but it's apparent that they need one more piece. NaLyssa looks great and both Aliyah and Kelsey will be better in time, but there is a gaping hole at SF.

I'll try not to overreact, but this Sun team could face off against Vegas in the WNBA Finals for the second time in three seasons.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Let's not forget, they're playing Connecticut for their first game of the season. That's not an easy match up considering the Sun was the 3rd ranked team for defence last season.
Of course the Sun are always good defensively, but still a disappointing performance for last year's ROY. She should be able to battle better than this against Jones and Thomas. She has the size.

WBBTakeover

Reaction Score
Of course the Sun are always good defensively, but still a disappointing performance for last year's ROY. She should be able to battle better than this against Jones and Thomas. She has the size.
She's a second-year player playing with a rookie PG while facing one of the best post duos in the WNBA. She's doing about what you'd expect in the first game of the season.

bballnut90

Reaction Score
I'm not quite there yet, but it's apparent that they need one more piece. NaLyssa looks great and both Aliyah and Kelsey will be better in time, but there is a gaping hole at SF.

I'm not seeing KLS as the answer for it right now. I think they'll have an easier time finding someone in off season with Wheeler's contract expiring. They'll be able to throw a lot of money at big names in free agency with Smith/Boston/Clark all on rookie contracts.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
She's a second-year player playing with a rookie PG while facing one of the best post duos in the WNBA. She's doing about what you'd expect in the first game of the season.
Disagree. Jones missed last year and isn't back to full speed yet. And Boston has Smith along side her, she's not going up against those players by herself. She's already considered one of the best post players in the league. Fever needs more from her, this is a disappointing game.

Reaction Score
Easier said than done, considering who we're talking about. It's also game one of the season.

bballnut90

Reaction Score
Nah, this is just a bad game from Boston. She's a great player and will have better showings in the future but today isn't her day.

WBBTakeover

Reaction Score
Disagree. Jones missed last year and isn't back to full speed yet. And Boston has Smith along side her, she's not going up against those players by herself. She's already considered one of the best post players in the league. Fever needs more from her, this is a disappointing game.
Smith is the one that they're leaving open--for a reason. She hasn't exactly set the world on fire tonight, either. Also, NaLyssa does nothing defensively (so we see where she puts all of her effort/energy into).

As I said, she's been affected by having to live through Caitlin's struggles. This will be a low point for her, but she will adjust.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Smith is the one that they're leaving open--for a reason. She hasn't exactly set the world on fire tonight, either. Also, NaLyssa does nothing defensively (so we see where she puts all of her effort/energy into).

As I said, she's been affected by having to live through Caitlin's struggles. This will be a low point for her, but she will adjust.
Smith carried them in the first half, but has disappeared since.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
92-71 final, really got out of hand down the stretch.

bballnut90

Reaction Score
Another triple double for AT. It's weird how she didn't have many til last year, now she does it all the time.
13/10/13 and 3 steals. Phenomenal defensive too. Her current fiance (Dewanna Bonner) just passed her ex (Candice Dupree) for 5th all time in WNBA scoring history.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
macklin

Top Bottom