With Coach now tied with Coach K | The Boneyard

With Coach now tied with Coach K

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
The answer may be obvious, but I am wondering regardless.
What Assistant Coach in WBB has the most career victories? My assumption is that it is CD, hands down.
Am I right?

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
The answer may be obvious, but I am wondering regardless.
What Assistant Coach in WBB has the most career victories? My assumption is that it is CD, hands down.
Am I right?
Don't know, but at 12 national championships, either as a player or a coach, I think that she likely leads that category.

Reaction Score
Unless Stanford's coach had the same assistant for all of her Stanford wins and at the other schools (Ohio State, etc.) which would give her 7 more than CD, then it is CD all the way.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
The championship as a player was AIAW
True but that was a national championship at that time. Pretty sure it was in 82 and the NCAA women's basketball started about the same time. I believe the first NCAA woman's championship in any sport was field hockey and that was won by Connecticut in 1981.

Last edited:

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
The way I've heard it, if you are an assistant the only way you get a win is when your head coach isn't in attendance and you are actually coaching the game. If that's true there is no reason to assume it's CD.

Reaction Score
I didn't bother to do the math, but Mickie DeMoss was at Tennessee from 1985-2003 and 2010-2012. Kate Paye has been at Stanford since 2007 (and the The Harry K. and Ida S. Berland Associate Head Women's Basketball Coach since 2016). They both have to be hundreds behind Chris Dailey, and I don't think anyone else is even in the conversation.

Centerstream

Reaction Score
The way I've heard it, if you are an assistant the only way you get a win is when your head coach isn't in attendance and you are actually coaching the game. If that's true there is no reason to assume it's CD.
In the scenario you described, it is my understanding that the Head Coach is still given the win. Didn't that happen in the tournament a couple seasons ago?
So I guess my question should be "which Assistant Coach has been coaching for the most team(s) wins?"
But I am also guessing that most people understand the meaning of my OP. Or at least hope so. (No offense to you @RockyMTblue2 , I am just trying to clarify my original question.)

Reaction Score
In the scenario you described, it is my understanding that the Head Coach is still given the win. Didn't that happen in the tournament a couple seasons ago?
So I guess my question should be "which Assistant Coach has been coaching for the most team(s) wins?"
But I am also guessing that most people understand the meaning of my OP. Or at least hope so. (No offense to you @RockyMTblue2 , I am just trying to clarify my original question.)
Question: Has CD alwats had the title "Associate Head Coach" at UConn?

...not that that changes the point of the OP...

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
No offense taken. Once a pettyfogging lawyer, always a pettyfogging lawyer.

Reaction Score
Kim Mulkey spent many years as AssociateHC in Louisiana Tech if I remember correctly and that doesn't count

Reaction Score
I would be shocked if CD wasn't at the top of this list. The vast majority of assistant coaches that are very good ultimately become head coaches. Head coaches generally pick their assistants, and turnover is pretty high there so assistants usually have to work for multiple head coaches, not just at one school except for very rare situations like Uconn where they both start together at a very young age.

Reaction Score
I would be shocked if CD wasn't at the top of this list. The vast majority of assistant coaches that are very good ultimately become head coaches. Head coaches generally pick their assistants, and turnover is pretty high there so assistants usually have to work for multiple head coaches, not just at one school except for very rare situations like Uconn where they both start together at a very young age.
Was the original question "how many wins did she attend sitting on the bench with Geno"? OR "wins sitting on the bench when Geno was missing"?

Centerstream

Reaction Score
Was the original question "how many wins did she attend sitting on the bench with Geno"? OR "wins sitting on the bench when Geno was missing"?
And to clarify, it doesn't matter if her official title is assistant coach or associate HC. And further clarification is that when Geno was missing, he still got credit for the wins. This would be 17 games/wins.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
And to clarify, it doesn't matter if her official title is assistant coach or associate HC. And further clarification is that when Geno was missing, he still got credit for the wins. This would be 17 games/wins.
When does she get credit for the 17 wins?

Reaction Score
Question, was CD there in person for more wins than Geno? Geno missed 17 games, I don't think CD missed that many. Plus, throw in her Rutgers wins which probably surpass Geno's pre-UConn wins and the gap grows even larger. Could she be involved in the most college wins ever?

For all you lawyers out there, "in person" means present in any capacity (player or any type of coach), and I count AIAW wins as wins.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom