OT: - Wirechief memorial quiz Fall 2022 | The Boneyard

OT: Wirechief memorial quiz Fall 2022

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
Here's a quiz to tide us over till news starts coming from practices.

1) The title of the Eno song “King’s Lead Hat” is an anagram of the name of what group he was producing at the time?

2) Where does a Trinbagonian hail from?

3) The rosewoods get their name from what characteristic of the wood?

4) There are regions of Spain and Ukraine-Poland both called what?

5) When sea turtles are infected with botulism, what is it called?

6) The James Webb Space Telescope images in the infrared. Why? (There are two correct answers that I know of, quite possibly more.)

7) The novel generally accepted as the first ever written was written by a woman around 1000 years ago in what country?

8) The word basset in basset hound and basset horn means the same thing. What?

Two questions about the spice asafoetida.

9) It’s used to impart the flavor of what vegetable?

10) Why is India by far the world’s largest consumer of the stuff?

11) The term “head banger” meaning a heavy-metal fan is believed to have originally been used by/about fans of what band?

12) Where is Nova Albion?

13) What guitarist/vocalist has been inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame twice, once as a founding member of Wings, once as a founding member of the Moody Blues?

14) How did shoegaze music get its name?

15) Homebrewers sometimes use an iodine test. What does it test for?

16) In many old songs (especially Depression-era) there’s an expression “riding the blinds” used. What’s that?

17) What is the favorite color of about 80% of adults?

18) Calls from famous friends are often arranged for draftees on WNBA draft night. Who called Veronica Burton on draft night this year?

19) When the broadcasters talk about “furniture” at the Tour de France, what are they talking about?

20) What was the last letter added to the English alphabet?

Sifaka

O sol nascerá amanhã.
Reaction Score
King’s Lead Hat. Talking Heads
2. Trinidad and Tobago
3. Color
4. Galicia/Galiza
5.C. butyricum
6. Less distortion that visible light
7. Chariton of Aphrodesius. (The claim is disputed.)
8. low
9. leeks or skunk cabbage
10. It grows there
11. The banged up dunderheads
12. North American Pacific Coast
13. ?
14. The performers wore patent leather sandals.
15. Iodized salt in the hops
16. between freight cars on a gratis trip
17. blue, because I have a monopoly on green
18. Harry Parretta
19. bicycle seats-sniff at your peril!
29. zed

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score

2) Trinidad and Tobago
3) The rosewoods have a strong persistent floral fragrance reminiscent of roses
4) Galicia – Mrs. SVC's brother tracked their family roots to Galicia.
5) Salmonella
6) With infrared the James Webb telescope can see stars through the dust clouds. Also infrared allows looking “further back in time” to some of the earliest stars.
8) Longish?
10) Because they are best at cooking with spices?
11) Led Zeppelin
13) Denny Laine
15) starch conversion
17) Blue
20) Zed

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
For #5 I'm looking for the name of the disease, not the toxin. As they used to say on Whad'ya Know, "Ambiguous, misleading, or poorly worded questions are par for the course."

## 7 and 11 are evidently less clear than I'd thought. Still soliciting more responses for those as well as 9.

Still looking for correct answers for 10, 14, 18, and 20.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
dang. first the op puts up a mind bending quiz, then that maine black bear poster answers it before we get a chance to even sniff the paper. doubledang.

good thing it's an open computer deal, cuz i got nuthin.
search: 'peoples favorite color.'
hey, ya gotta start somewhere...

who is veronica burton? who is harry perratta? looks like i'll be getting jiggy with my old pal 'search' again. people should ask more questions aboot cartoons. that's my sweet spot.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
For #5 I'm looking for the name of the disease, not the toxin. As they used to say on Whad'ya Know, "Ambiguous, misleading, or poorly worded questions are par for the course."

## 7 and 11 are evidently less clear than I'd thought. Still soliciting more responses for those as well as 9.

Still looking for correct answers for 10, 14, 18, and 20.
Tobago/Trinidad--- My daughter was with the State Dept there (and a dozen less lovable places). Interviewing thousands of "Migrants". It is a long and time, emotional, process with not many being allowed to enter. She speaks 8 languages including some Middle easterns and Russian. A tiny bit American (kidding).

Reaction Score
10) Does it have to do with India having the highest rate of vegetarians? I think around 40%

18) TB12

20) J

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
dang. first the op puts up a mind bending quiz, then that maine black bear poster answers it before we get a chance to even sniff the paper. doubledang.

who is veronica burton? who is harry perratta? looks like i'll be getting jiggy with my old pal 'search' again. people should ask more questions aboot cartoons. that's my sweet spot.

Yeah, I posted a quiz and had mostly correct answers from someone in no time.

It isn't open computer, however. Wirechief always specified no research. I miss the late Wirechief's quizzes, I usually knew 1 or 2 and sometimes even 3. Big typically stumps me - although some of it rings a bell once answers are provided.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
Yeah, I posted a quiz and had mostly correct answers from someone in no time.

It isn't open computer, however. Wirechief always specified no research. I miss the late Wirechief's quizzes, I usually knew 1 or 2 and sometimes even 3. Big typically stumps me - although some of it rings a bell once answers are provided.

Yes, I forgot to specify "no politics and no research."

Posting a set if answers is encouraged even if you're not first. Chief usually posted the quiz early in the morning, and I don't log on from work, so there had usually been many sets of answers posted before I even saw it. I would just post my answers without looking at anyone else's.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
Thanks to all who have posted answers; y'all have not disappointed. We've gotten correct or partially correct answers for all questions except for #5.

1) Sifaka correctly identified Talking Heads as an anagram of King's Lead Hat.

2) SVC and TCC rang in along with the lemur to tell us that a Trinbagonian hails from Trinidad and Tobago

3) Some rosewoods are reddish, but most are very dark brown to black. SVC is correct that they got their name from the scent they give off when being worked.

4) There are Galicias in Spain and central/eastern Europe.

5) "Floppy flipper disease" in sea turtles is caused by a botulinum infection.

6) SVC has both answers I was looking for -- seeing through dust and further back in time

7) My Nipponophile daughter found a Japanese novel called Tales of Genji by Murasaki Shikibu, written around 1000 AD, that's often referred to as the first novel. It is in the Wikipedia entry on novels. However, Sifaka pointed to a work written in the early Common Era that's cited as one of the earliest novels on ITS Wiki page. So I bow to his knowledge of the classics.

8) Sifaka knows that the root for bassett is the same as that for bass -- low

9 and 10) Sifaka and Jibariqua are on the right track. Asafoetida is a substitute for onions (leeks, too, I guess I've never cooked with skunk cabbage LOL), which are the basis for a lot of Indian cooking. It's actually a small fraction of India that consumes asafoetida -- higher-up Jains, who can't eat root vegetables for fear that living things have been harmed in their harvest.

11) This is the other one that I'd not fully appreciated. SVC's answer of Led Zeppelin is a possibly correct answer. I'd heard years ago that it was Motorhead, which made sense since head is in their name. I'd had no idea that it's actually an ancient thing, part of the Sufi tradition. Other bands claim it too, although I'm not sure about Queen.

12) Sifaka has it again.

13) Another country heard from, SoCalCanine has it along with SVC.

14) Oops! Nobody had that one. Shoegaze, or dreampop, involves a lot of changing guitar settings, so the guitarists are always looking down at the foot pedals, so they look like they're gazing at their shoes.

15) SVC knows that iodine turns purple in the presence of starch.

16) Sifaka talks about hopping freight trains. I first heard of riding the blinds in "Walking Blues" by Robert Johnson.

17) Pretty much everyone went with blue, which is correct.

18) Jiba has identified Tom Brady (I assume that's who TB12 is?) as calling Ms. Burton on draft night. Evidently her father is a Boston-area sports writer who knows Brady.

19) Hoopsdiva joins the party in identifying furniture like cobbles and roundabouts

20) Jib rings in with J (more than coincidence?), which used to be sort-of part of g

Once again, a great job by all! I hope to have another quiz some time. I can't crank them out as Chief did. I still miss him.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom