OT: - Wire Chief memorial quiz #4 | The Boneyard

OT: Wire Chief memorial quiz #4

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
All I could muster was 15 questions. Have at it!

1) Who is the only person to write a #1 hit sung by another and also one sung by him/herself?

2) My niece spent a summer “milking horseshoe crabs.” What is milking horseshoe crabs and why is it important?

KOTM – what does it mean in the context of:
3) the Tour de France?
4) USENET? (remember that?)

5) A historic flight took place on El Al Airlines on 8/31/20. What was historic about it?

6) (Boneyard moniker question) Sifaka are mostly-arboreal lemurs. How do they ambulate on the ground?

7) What Patriots fullback was a two-time NCAA wrestling champion at Syracuse?

8) In a classic Far Side cartoon, someone arriving in heaven was given a harp. What was the person arriving in hell given?

9) In the theme of the Big Bang Theory there’s a line “The autotrophs began to drool.” What are autotrophs and what is the significance of their “drooling”?

10) Why doesn’t a kilogram of aluminum have the same thermal mass as a kilogram of iron?

11) Bill Danoff and Taffy Nivert are probably most famous for writing Take Me Home Country Roads with John Denver. Bill and Taffy were members of what DC-area band that had a #1 hit in 1976?

12) Jambalaya literally means what in Louisiana creole?

13) Fort Valley in Virginia is a valley-within-a-valley. Explain.

14) What late actress played James Bond’s wife?

15) Johnny Maestro sang for the Brooklyn Bridge in the late 60’s, but what group did he sing with in the late 50’s-early 60’s?

Reaction Score
1. Lionel Ritchie
5. A flight between Bahrain and Israel, a first.
10. Aluminum dissipates heat, iron absorbs it.
15. The Crest

Reaction Score
All I could muster was 15 questions. Have at it!

1) Prince unless I misunderstood the question. Can it only be one #1 song? He wrote ”Nothing Compares to You” that Sinéad O’Connor sang.

2) they take the blood to test vaccines and medicines

5) first direct flight to UAE that was allowed in Saudi airspace

14) Dianna Rigg

Reaction Score
1. Dolly Parton 5.A flight to UAE..a first..12. It literally means mixed-up. 8. Beer 6. Uber.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
1. Lionel Ritchie
5. A flight between Bahrain and Israel, a first.
10. Aluminum dissipates heat, iron absorbs it.
15. The Crest

10. All materials absorb heat at some level. But different materials have different efficiencies of absorbing heat and having their temperature change. This is quantified by the "Specific Heat coefficient" which is roughly = amount of energy needed to raise a unit mass of the material by a unit of temperature

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
Well, I stand corrected on #1. I'd thought there was only one person who'd done it (may have been true 30 years ago), but after looking it up anew based on the answers here, there are a few.

Rocket009

Santa Cruz. CA
Reaction Score
1) Sia?

3) King of the Mountains
4) Kook of the Month shortened form of cuckoo indicating someone who was particularly annoying/nuts who posted vigorously to forums.

5) The airlines first flight to Saudi Arabia

6) Upright on two legs and a little sideways

8) An accordion

14) The late great Diana Riggings

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
You stumped me, but

1 - I know it never went to Number 1, but Neil Diamond wrote "I'm a Believer" which was a hit for the Monkees, later he recorded and had a hit as well.

14 - All I can guess is it is located in the Shenandoah Valley.

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
1. Barry Gibb had three songs that he wrote for other people, plus had more than 20 he composed for the Bee Gees.

5. First flight from Israel to an Arab County, UAE.

8. An accordion

12. Mixed up or Jumbled, depending on who you talk to in Louisiana.

13. Fort Valley VA, is within the Northern part of the Massanutten Mountain range in the Shenandoah Valley.

14. The late Diana Riggs

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
Great job, y'all.

We still need 7 and 11.

7: He played in the 1960's and holds the AFL record for rushing yards in a season

11: Their #1 hit was in 1976 and it was their only top-40 hit.

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
I know that #11 is the Starland Vocal Band and the song is Afternoon Delight. They were married for awhile back then. I am guessing that Jim Nance was the fullback but I do not know if he

was a wrestling champ.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
DING DING DING. That was quick, Bama!

Summary:

1) Y'all know more than your quizmaster pro tem. The one I was going for was Alan O'Day, who wrote Angie Baby for Helen Reddy and had a #1 himself with Undercover Angel. I have his first album, ripped from a record, which I love, but isn't even available on Youtube.

2) Jubariqua is mostly right. Horseshoe crabs have blue copper-based blood that goes into the test kits to distinguish between gram-positive and -negative bacteria.

Rocket is solo in his correct answers for 3 and 4.

5) VAUC, Jib, blue, MSG have the flight from Israel to the UAE.

6) SVC and Rocket have the Sifaka hopping in the goofiest possible way.

7) Bama rings in late but successfully!

8) Bama, SVC, and MSG know their obnoxious instruments. I would have accepted banjo, although it would be totally wrong. (I'm just kidding about not liking the instruments, it's kind of a joke among some folk musicians.)

9) SVC is solo on this one.

10) eebmg nailed this one.

11) Bama again

12) Blue and MSG. I've also heard it interpreted as "pig and rice" by a Cajun.

13) Knight and MSG have it. The Shenandoah River has two branches several miles apart, and this makes a wide valley. Fort Valley is between the two branches. I just spent a few days there in a VRBO rental; it's a really cool place.

14) Jib, Rocket, and MSG correctly identified our recent loss. RIP Diana Rigg.

15) VAUC identified the 16 Candles group.

Great job, all!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom