OT: - Wire Chief/Alex Trebek memorial quiz | The Boneyard

OT: Wire Chief/Alex Trebek memorial quiz

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
Well, we don't have any games for a few weeks, so what the hey. I wasn't able to come up with categories and clues that lead to questions.

As always, no research and no politics.

1) Penne pasta was invented in 1865. Why do we know that?

2) Name a carnivore that’s actually herbivorous.

3) Stevie Wonder and Ray Manzarek both played the keyboard bass, but their instruments were very different in every way except they both had keyboards. Stevie played the ____ bass and Ray the ______ or ______-______ bass.

4) What was the generally accepted difference between beer and ale in the days of yore (say 200 years ago)?

5) In 2015 all of North America was estimated to release less greenhouse gases than a single wildfire where?

6) In Robert Heinlein’s “The Man Who Sold the Moon,” how did Delos Harriman in effect buy the moon?

7) J. S. Bach had been out of favor for close to a century before which romantic composer “discovered” him?

8) My daughter is participating in NaNoWriMo, this month, (November) pronounced nano rhyme-o. What the hell is that?

9) Fluorescent and LED light bulbs have kelvin ratings. A cool bulb might be rated at 5500 K and a warm bulb at 3500 K. What does the K refer to, and why does the cool bulb have a hotter temperature rating?

10) What does the souchong mean in lapsang souchong tea?

11) This person is a two-time Rock ‘n’ Roll Hall of Fame inductee as a founding member of Santana and Journey.

12) During the Moody Blues’ formative years, Ray Thomas was the flute player as well as one of the singer-singwriters. What was his principal instrument earlier on in the Moodies?

13) This is the only know venomous primate.

14) Nighthawks is the most famous painting by this American, who split his time between New York City and Cape Cod.

15) The lead character in Daphne du Maurier’s novel Rebecca is unusual for what reason?

16) This Rembrandt painting, The Militia of District II under the command of Captain Frans Banning Cocq, is better known by what shortened title?

17) In the traditional carol “The King” or “Please to see the King”, who or what is the King?

18) In a 1987 movie, what character says, “It's just that masks are terribly comfortable -- I think everyone will be wearing them in the future”? Genius.

19) The Spanish surname minero would be translated into English as the surname of what UConn great?

20) My house (in suburban Maryland) was hit by two sever storms about two years apart: a tornado and this type, loosely described as a tornado without rotation (wind in a straight line).

Reaction Score
Well, we don't have any games for a few weeks, so what the hey. I wasn't able to come up with categories and clues that lead to questions.

As always, no research and no politics.

1) Penne pasta was invented in 1865. Why do we know that?

2) Name a carnivore that’s actually herbivorous.

3) Stevie Wonder and Ray Manzarek both played the keyboard bass, but their instruments were very different in every way except they both had keyboards. Stevie played the ____ bass and Ray the ______ or ______-______ bass.

4) What was the generally accepted difference between beer and ale in the days of yore (say 200 years ago)?

5) In 2015 all of North America was estimated to release less greenhouse gases than a single wildfire where?

6) In Robert Heinlein’s “The Man Who Sold the Moon,” how did Delos Harriman in effect buy the moon?

7) J. S. Bach had been out of favor for close to a century before which romantic composer “discovered” him?

8) My daughter is participating in NaNoWriMo, this month, (November) pronounced nano rhyme-o. What the hell is that?

9) Fluorescent and LED light bulbs have kelvin ratings. A cool bulb might be rated at 5500 K and a warm bulb at 3500 K. What does the K refer to, and why does the cool bulb have a hotter temperature rating?

10) What does the souchong mean in lapsang souchong tea?

11) This person is a two-time Rock ‘n’ Roll Hall of Fame inductee as a founding member of Santana and Journey.

12) During the Moody Blues’ formative years, Ray Thomas was the flute player as well as one of the singer-singwriters. What was his principal instrument earlier on in the Moodies?

13) This is the only know venomous primate.

14) Nighthawks is the most famous painting by this American, who split his time between New York City and Cape Cod.

15) The lead character in Daphne du Maurier’s novel Rebecca is unusual for what reason?

16) This Rembrandt painting, The Militia of District II under the command of Captain Frans Banning Cocq, is better known by what shortened title?

17) In the traditional carol “The King” or “Please to see the King”, who or what is the King?

18) In a 1987 movie, what character says, “It's just that masks are terribly comfortable -- I think everyone will be wearing them in the future”? Genius.

19) The Spanish surname minero would be translated into English as the surname of what UConn great?

20) My house (in suburban Maryland) was hit by two sever storms about two years apart: a tornado and this type, loosely described as a tornado without rotation (wind in a straight line).
7. Felix Mendelsohn
11. Greg Rolle
12. Harmonica
15. Because she never appears in the novel or movie, having died before the action takes place

Reaction Score
Wow - I know that painting too. Saw it my first time to Amsterdam. I need to pay more attention to the names of the paintings I guess...

My knowledge of the artist is basically that one painting. When I read the actual title I figured it had to the one with soldiers.

Reaction Score
My knowledge of the artist is basically that one painting. When I read the actual title I figured it had to the one with soldiers.
Haha - my knowledge of the Rijksmuseum is basically that one painting. Don’t think I’m alone. First time to Amsterdam I had a 1-1/2 day weekend to see everything I could see. Big line at the museum, and it was ALL for that one painting.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
5 - The Amazon?
7 - Mendelson. The one answer I'm sure of (except the spelling). Really like Bach music.
20 - Dechero?

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
9 K = Kelvin Temperature Scale.

All objects at a given temperature have an associated "color" defined by the peak of the Planck Black Body Radiation Expression.

Example, the Sun at 5800K is yellow. As we get cooler, the planck radiation peak shifts towards longer wavelengths moving to the red side of the color "rainbow" while hotter objects shift to the blue side.

Since the color blue for illumination is psychologically associated with "cooler" and the color red for illumination conjures up "hot", I guess that is how the topsey turvey identification comes about

Reaction Score
9) the k rating is the color of the light that is emitted. cool colors like blue are higher temperatures than warm colors like red. It has something to do with the colors that are emitted when you heat a metal.
10) sou chung means small sort
13) Slow Loris
14) Edward Hopper
18) Westley
20) Scud Cloud

pinotbear

Silly Ol' Bear
Reaction Score
2. I don't think it's the answer you're looking for, but a lot of animals we think are carnivores are actually omnivores - our local coyotes out her, for instance, eat a lot of juniper berries this time of year. The example I was thinking of, however, is the grizzly bear. We think of the grizz as carnivorous, but, over the course of the year, up to 90% of its' diet is plant matter.

Reaction Score
2. Gisele Bündchen
13. Joy Behar, but she aint the only one.
20. micro burst?

Reaction Score
6. He bought the “air rights” from every country the moon passes over in its path around earth.

Reaction Score
Always amazed by how many classical music buffs contribute to the Boneyard. Mendelssohn is indeed the answer to number seven; he is also arguably the father of the modern Symphony orchestra through his Directorship of the Gewandhaus in Leipzig.

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
2) Human beings at least this is the claim of some misguided folks. We are omnivores unlike the carnivorous Venus Flytrap

5) California (if correct, what irony)

8) National novel writing month

9) The higher the kelvin rating the whiter the light

14) Edward Hopper

16) The Nightwatch

18) Westley in Priness Bride

20) Derecho

Reaction Score
Always amazed by how many classical music buffs contribute to the Boneyard. Mendelssohn is indeed the answer to number seven; he is also arguably the father of the modern Symphony orchestra through his Directorship of the Gewandhaus in Leipzig.
Mendelsohn also gave us a number of "bests" --- best music inspired by a play (his "Incidental Music for a Midsummer Night's Dream); best symphony whose nickname is a country (his "Italian" Symphony); and best violin Concerto of all-time.

Reaction Score
Mendelsohn also gave us a number of "bests" --- best music inspired by a play (his "Incidental Music for a Midsummer Night's Dream); best symphony whose nickname is a country (his "Italian" Symphony); and best violin Concerto of all-time.
The first two would get a lot of support; the third is hopelessly subjective! Fans of the Beethoven, Brahms, Tchaikovsky, Bruch and Sibelius would vigorously dispute your thesis! Personally, I find the “Romeo and Juliet” works of Berlioz, Tchaikowsky, Prokofiev and Bernstein serious competition.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Haha - my knowledge of the Rijksmuseum is basically that one painting. Don’t think I’m alone. First time to Amsterdam I had a 1-1/2 day weekend to see everything I could see. Big line at the museum, and it was ALL for that one painting.
The Rijksmuseum is great, but all of the most famous works are in the Hall of Honor. If you are pressed for time, go for that one large room only.

1606792568767.png

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom