Wins needed to make 2021 NCAA tourney | Page 7 | The Boneyard

Wins needed to make 2021 NCAA tourney

Reaction Score
Kendall Rogers this morning

008.jpg

Reaction Score
The only thing I like better then winning the first 3 games of a series is winning the 4th game ( I know it's a bad joke, but glad I can use it). My wife and I went to the Hockey Arena groundbreaking ceremony, and then to Elliot Ballpark for game yesterday. What a great day for UConn sports, and Elliot is a gorgeous facility. By winning yesterday and our RPI at 23, I think we secured an At Large bid . But if we go 0 -2 in BE tourney, I would be incredibly anxious on selection day.

Some Random thoughts.

(1) after starting 4 - 10 (vs very tough competition) we ended season with a 26 -6 run (.813 winning %)

(2) during first 16 games, we were 3 - 9 in 1 or 2 run games. Imagine our RPI if we had even only won 2 of those 9 games.

(3) Besides us, no Big East team has a chance of an At Large Bid. Highest RPI is Villanova at 88. Also BE teams SOS are horrible. Creighton 250, Xavier 99 and Seton Hall 139

(4) 10 games were cancelled. If we played at the .813 winning %, that would have meant 8 more wins. Our record would have been 38 - 18 heading into BE tourney. No question we would have been in.

(5) NCAA seeding thoughts after BE Tourney results
Win 0 games - definitely a 4, possible 3
Win 1 games - definitely a 3, out side shot at a 2
Win 2 games - out side shot at a 3, very good chance a 2
Win BEast - a definite 2

(6) As many of you probably noticed, I don't post much besides in this thread. But I do follow everyone's posts before, during and after games. I GREATLY appreciate everyone who posts. I don't want to mention specific posters, because I know I will miss someone important. Even though we may have not ever met, I feel I know many of you. The UConn Baseball Board is a very special and tight community.

(7) Last thing. It took ALL season, but our chart below of "Post Season Criteria" is that beautiful color of GREEN

Go Huskies !!!

Intermediate Goals
6 - 2 / 7 - 1 ( last 8)
3 - 2 / 0 - 0 (BE tourney)

current record........... season goal
8 - 11 / .421 ........ 9 - 10 / .473% - Out of Conference
9 - 1 / .900 ......... 8 - 2 / .800 - New England
13 - 4 / .765 ......... 12- 5 / .706 - Big East regular season

0 - 0 / .000 ......... 3 - 2 / .600 - Big East tourney

Post season Criteria
(1) 30 - 16 / .652 ...... 32 - 20 / .615
(2) 23 ....... < 50 RPI
(3) 1st - Top 2 Big East
(4) SOS - 61

uconnbaseball

Hey there
Reaction Score
If we win the Big East, could we be a 2 seed somewhere? I’d rather be a 3 seed in a non powerhouse regional instead of being Arkansas’ 2 seed.

Ole miss would be perfect, I could drive to that and they are crazy inconsistent.

Reaction Score
If we win the Big East, could we be a 2 seed somewhere? I’d rather be a 3 seed in a non powerhouse regional instead of being Arkansas’ 2 seed.

Ole miss would be perfect, I could drive to that and they are crazy inconsistent.
I tend to agree... I think I’d rather be an under the radar 3 seed.

Reaction Score
Kendall Rogers this morning

View attachment 67573

I'd get a little nervous about getting an at large bid if UConn lost its first two games in the Big East Tourney, but it is possible that the Huskies late season run and big rise in the RPI is enough to counteract such an occurrence. I'd just as soon not find out.

Still, UConn has had a great run in the AAC and old Big East baseball tournaments in consistently getting to the Saturday, or semifinal rounds of those tournaments. Of course, those tournaments were played with 8 teams in the tournaments, while this is a 4 team tournament.

Well, I just looked it up. The last time UConn baseball did not make the semifinal round in a post season double elimination conference tournament was 2008 in the old Big East. All those tournaments had 8 teams in them. That is some run for UConn.

Last edited:

huskypantz

All posts from this user are AI-generated
Reaction Score
Nice. Just win the BET and the rest will take care of itself. A #2 seed would be great, a #2 where we're not one of the last 3-4 spots would be even better.

On another note, where do you seed Fairfield? They have not beaten a top 50 team (not their fault). I feel like they'll get a 2 by default, tough to ignore that overall record.

Reaction Score
On another note, where do you seed Fairfield? They have not beaten a top 50 team (not their fault). I feel like they'll get a 2 by default, tough to ignore that overall record.

Last few projections above by both Baseball America & D1Baseball have Fairfield as a #3 seed

Next projection out Tuesday/Wednesday if they stick to pattern.

Reaction Score
Imagine if they (Stags) lose out their conference tournament… what in the world happens to them? Would the committee leave them out? I’d hope not. I don’t care who you’re playing, 35-3 in a sport like baseball is legit.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
1621867160569.png

Take a look at the W/L vs top 50 RPI. Should Penders schedule so aggressively next season? It didn't hurt us, as it turns out, but it was one heck of hole to start out in. Then again, especially in Texas, we were close to getting a great start and sitting toward the top of polls all season. We have to make up for some RPI killer in the Big East at the start of year, but is their a middle ground? Or maybe we need those games to measure ourselves?

Reaction Score
View attachment 67582

Take a look at the W/L vs top 50 RPI. Should Penders schedule so aggressively next season? It didn't hurt us as it turns out but it was one heck of hole to start out in. Then again, especially in Texas we were close to getting a great start and sitting toward the top of polls all season and we know we have to make up for some RPI killer in the Big East.
He will schedule just as aggressively next year as he has done in previous years. It’s his M.O. and now being in the Big East a neccessary evil for RPI.

Reaction Score
He will schedule just as aggressively next year as he has done in previous years. It’s his M.O. and now being in the Big East a neccessary evil for RPI.

In recent broadcasts Chris Jones was talking a bit about a tentative schedule for next season. He emphasized tentative. If I recall correctly, there are three Florida trips next season (none against Florida, Florida State, or Miami), with the opening weekend scheduled against South Florida. I think FIU was also on the list. Jones also mentioned a spring break trip to California and mentioned some teams. I don't think any Pac 12 teams were on that list. UC San Diego, Paul Gozzo's school, is one of the western teams on the schedule. Still, there are any number of southern or western schools that are not P5 that could provide a tough test.

One other thing to remember is that the lineup will probably be losing quite a bit of punch, with guys like the Winkel's, Kyler Fedko, and perhaps others all moving on to the pro's or wherever. Plus, there are a few guys who are likely to be gone from the pitching staff as well, so it could be considered something of a rebuilding or reloading year. Still, I would not expect an easy early schedule by any means.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
This for sure. We need the RPI boost even if we lose. Also, this year we lost so many close games that even just 2 or 3 flipped to a W would have been huge.

Reaction Score
Imagine if they (Stags) lose out their conference tournament… what in the world happens to them? Would the committee leave them out? I’d hope not. I don’t care who you’re playing, 35-3 in a sport like baseball is legit.

I doubt Fairfield is worried about not getting an at large bid. They shouldn’t be.

Reaction Score
I prefer the team to play w/ their backs to the wall urgency but FWIW:

-> First off there are some teams that are very secure in their status. These would project as No. 1 and No. 2 seeds.

ArkansasStanfordSouth CarolinaOklahoma State
VanderbiltEast CarolinaLouisiana TechOregon State
TexasTCUSouthern MissArizona State
ArizonaOregonNebraskaUCLA
TennesseeOle MissNC StateMichigan
Notre DameFloridaGeorgia TechUC Irvine
Mississippi StateGonzagaFlorida StateOld Dominion
Texas TechCharlotteMiamiConnecticut

Reaction Score
D1Baseball still has UConn headed west but to a different region

1. Gonzaga (15 National seed)
2. Oregon State
3. North Carolina
4. Connecticut*

Other teams of note: Texas Tech (9) National seed. USM - 2 seed, Virginia - 3 seed and Bryant - 4 seed.

Think I’d rather be a 3 seed somewhere else... ;)

1. Vanderbilt (2 National seed)
2. Connecticut*
3. Maryland
4. Southeast Missouri State*

Other teams of note: Texas Tech (8) National seed. USM - 2 seed, Virginia - 3 seed and Bryant - 4 seed.

(Fairfield a 3 seed in Gainesville bracket)

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score

2. Connecticut*
3. Maryland

Other teams of note: Texas Tech (8) National seed. USM - 2 seed, Virginia - 3 seed and Bryant - 4 seed.

Yeah, seems like Fairfield has a better draw than we do in that scenario. But they have Maryland ranked ahead of us and a 3 seed in our region, so it's ridiculously brutal. But Baseball America has us as a 4 seed so...

Reaction Score

2. Connecticut*
3. Maryland

I wonder how Justin Willis would feel about a return visit to Nashville.

Reaction Score
Yeah, seems like Fairfield has a better draw than we do in that scenario. But they have Maryland ranked ahead of us and a 3 seed in our region, so it's ridiculously brutal. But Baseball America has us as a 4 seed so...
D1 is high on UConn...

-> Brian: What does UConn need to do to get to the two seed line?

Aaron Fitt: I’d have UConn on that 2-seed line right now, and if they win a couple games in the conference tournament then I think they waltz in as a 2. Don’t even have to win the Big East tourney, in my mind. <-

It will be interesting to see where this week’s Baseball American projection has UConn (usually out Tues./Wed. If they hold to form).

Reaction Score
D1 is high on UConn...

-> Brian: What does UConn need to do to get to the two seed line?

Aaron Fitt: I’d have UConn on that 2-seed line right now, and if they win a couple games in the conference tournament then I think they waltz in as a 2. Don’t even have to win the Big East tourney, in my mind. <-

It will be interesting to see where this week’s Baseball American projection has UConn (usually out Tues./Wed. If they hold to form).

Penders has gotten the program to the point where they get the benefit of the doubt, at least from a number of college baseball media members.

that, in and of itself, is one of his more impressive accomplishments.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom