Wine thread | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Wine thread

Reaction Score
I get wine shipments from First Leaf....and a couple other services.

We like Portuguese Tinto's. Spanish Tempronilla's, some Granache....almost anything from Italy...Super Tuscans, Montepulciano, good Sangiovese...and, on a splurge...a Barolo..

We like Cabs from Napa and Zins from Dry Creek Valley....don't like Washington State wines...just me. Nor much from France.

White wines...my personal taste is crisp, mineral finish....oaky buttery Chardonay's need not apply even if they are 99 points.

But heck...I will drink anti freeze if that is all that is available and everyone is drinking...

After drinking Pagan Pink Ripple and Mad Dog when young, I can make no claim to having a palate.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
I should have added “dining out is overrated” in the lessons from Covid thread. I always thought it was but I’m beyond convinced now.
Could not disagree more. I recognize that on the BY i'm very much the minority, joined perhaps only by 8893, but I love few things more than putting myself in the hands of an inventive chef who can offer me entirely new food experiences and do things with ingredients that I cannot, nor could I even imagine. I will gladly pay for that. Unfortunately my experience last night was far from that, but it won't stop me from seeking it out.

Where we may have failed last night was being committed to that specific bottle, which eliminated a couple of seafood entree options that might've been better. As that was our last "big" bottle, it was also probably the last time we order food to fit the wine as opposed to the opposite.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Could not disagree more. I recognize that on the BY i'm very much the minority, joined perhaps only by 8893, but I love few things more than putting myself in the hands of an inventive chef who can offer me entirely new food experiences and do things with ingredients that I cannot, nor could I even imagine. I will gladly pay for that. Unfortunately my experience last night was far from that, but it won't stop me from seeking it out.

Where we may have failed last night was being committed to that specific bottle, which eliminated a couple of seafood entree options that might've been better. As that was our last "big" bottle, it was also probably the last time we order food to fit the wine as opposed to the opposite.

Fully understand some are foodies and some are not. I had a great, inventive and creative sandwich at a brewery today. But ultimately I have pretty simple tastes it seems. For me it seems that at nicer restaurants 8 of 10 menu items have something I hate in them. The curse of a picky eater I suppose.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Fully understand some are foodies and some are not. I had a great, inventive and creative sandwich at a brewery today. But ultimately I have pretty simple tastes it seems. For me it seems that at nicer restaurants 8 of 10 menu items have something I hate in them. The curse of a picky eater I suppose.
And you're the majority of Americans. To me, there's art in superlative cooking. Training and ingredient knowledge that the average person just doesn't have. And there's no need for it to be "fussy" or "pretentious". The easiest examples are that things like "pot au feu" or "cassoulet" are considered hoity-toity snobbish dishes over here, whereas in France it's peasant/comfort food. It's all context.

I will note though that while it's a small list compared to most, there are more things I don't like than I care to admit to. One of those was brussels sprouts, which I learned to hate as a kid as my mother made it only one way. But I ordered some out of respect for a top local chef who's also a friend, and he got me actually liking the damned things and experimenting with different ways to cook them. I'm actually now growing them in my garden. I still can't stand raisins in anything, the smell of cooked caulflower, and I will pick peas out of whatever I'm eating (except samosas) because of horrific childhood memories of Swanson's TV dinners, but I'd be willing to allow a skilled and inventive cook to make something with those that might just get me to change my mind about them.

I mention this as there's always an outside chance that some cook will find a way to make you actually like something you don't. If I were ever to sit down and eat with Marcus Samuelsson, I imagine he could convince me to like Aqavit, which makes me gag at a distance.

boba

Somewhere around Barstow
Reaction Score
Ah, I think you're looking for the whine thread.
Way Off Topic: Whenever someone writes something using that emotional appeal known as the whine, my go-to response is: are you planning on serving cheese too?

Back on topic: Casta Diva, Cosecha Miel. Everyone knows the dinner and aperitif wines but the dessert wines are where it's at; plus it's bonus drinking time where you can still have cognac in reserve.
Gutierrez de la Vega, winemaker in Spain, it's a moscatel (muscatel) but not like the American knock-offs. I once had a '70 Rieussec that was sublime to say the least. Cosecha Miel rivals the great Sauternes of France. I buy it from Weimax.com.

Reaction Score
And you're the majority of Americans. To me, there's art in superlative cooking. Training and ingredient knowledge that the average person just doesn't have. And there's no need for it to be "fussy" or "pretentious". The easiest examples are that things like "pot au feu" or "cassoulet" are considered hoity-toity snobbish dishes over here, whereas in France it's peasant/comfort food. It's all context.

I will note though that while it's a small list compared to most, there are more things I don't like than I care to admit to. One of those was brussels sprouts, which I learned to hate as a kid as my mother made it only one way. But I ordered some out of respect for a top local chef who's also a friend, and he got me actually liking the damned things and experimenting with different ways to cook them. I'm actually now growing them in my garden. I still can't stand raisins in anything, the smell of cooked caulflower, and I will pick peas out of whatever I'm eating (except samosas) because of horrific childhood memories of Swanson's TV dinners, but I'd be willing to allow a skilled and inventive cook to make something with those that might just get me to change my mind about them.

I mention this as there's always an outside chance that some cook will find a way to make you actually like something you don't. If I were ever to sit down and eat with Marcus Samuelsson, I imagine he could convince me to like Aqavit, which makes me gag at a distance.
I'm with you on brussels sprouts..Not a huge fan. Was introduced to another presentation of them by my wife--who loves them. .Shredded brussels sprouts ala cabbage for cole slaw.. With some decent olive oil and a light saute.. Makes them seem like a different veggie.

Trader Joe's has them shredded and frozen if you into experimenting.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score

It‘s a fair point. My list is long, including everything you mentioned except raisins. The smell of Brussels sprouts makes me gag. Cauliflower even mashed with cheddar, is just gross. Peas I can tolerate if what they eat overwhelms them, like in a chicken pot pie. Lima beans are worse than peas. Beets, radishes, gross. Mushrooms, gross. Hate green bell peppers, hate mustard, hate pickles and relish. Don’t like cabbage or sauerkraut. That’s before I get to the things that actually make me ill, onions and garlic. A bit of raw onion will have me vomiting and with stomach cramps. I can be ok with tiny pieces very well cooked, almost rendered.

As a result, I haven’t been all that adventurous with food. If a chef makes something creative, something with ingredients I wouldn’t think to combine, and I like them all…that I will usually try. But I don’t know any chefs or know who is or isn’t good.

Reaction Score
After multiple recommendations over a few years from my sister, I finally shopped at Ancona’s in Wilton and was amazed by their 2 for $20 deals. Excellent family run store in business since the 30s, great blend of attention and/or space when you need it.

Even though it’s still summer, I’m itching to go back to regular red wine drinking. Today’s pick was an Alias Pinot noir 2019: excellent wine for the price point: flavorful but low tannins: juicy, some leather, minerals, caramel. Glad to have picked up two of these!

Reaction Score
Need a recommendation:

Wild first few weeks of school and I want to pick up a nice bottle tonight to pair with a mushroom risotto I'm making.

What's a good red wine to pair with?

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Need a recommendation:

Wild first few weeks of school and I want to pick up a nice bottle tonight to pair with a mushroom risotto I'm making.

Mushroom risotto goes with a wide range of wines, but when in doubt, stick with something in the general territory of the dish's origin, iow, something from northern Italy. Nebbiolo/Barolo/Barbaresco all work. Even Valpolicella. And if you like Amarones, go for it. But honestly, IMHO the dish goes with just about any sturdier wine you can think of, red or white.

I mentioned Emilio Bulfon Piculit-Neri here before. If you can find it, I think you'll find it really interesting as well as a solid companion for your dish.

And now I'm thinking about mushroom risotto.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Need a recommendation:

Mushroom risotto goes with a wide range of wines, but when in doubt, stick with something in the general territory of the dish's origin, iow, something from northern Italy. Nebbiolo/Barolo/Barbaresco all work. Even Valpolicella. And if you like Amarones, go for it. But honestly, IMHO the dish goes with just about any sturdier wine you can think of, red or white.

I mentioned Emilio Bulfon Piculit-Neri here before. If you can find it, I think you'll find it really interesting as well as a solid companion for your dish.

And now I'm thinking about mushroom risotto.
Agree with @storrsroars 's northern Italian recs, especially the Nebbiolos. I like Amarones but they are a bit too raisiny for me to love as a food wine; just as I often prefer Nebbiolo rossos to DOCGs like Barolos for most meals, I'd probably go with a Ripasso if I was looking for a Valpolicella.

If you can find a Zweigelt from Austria that would also pair very nicely; as would just about any red Rhone blend.

Reaction Score
Thanks @storrsroars and @8893, picked up a 2017 La Sacrestia Langhe Nebbiolo to pair with the mushroom risotto.

My wife and I much prefer drier wines and this Nebbiolo really hit the spot. Had a glass while prepping the meal: nice mineral, subtle fruit and earthy. Awesome pairing once the meal was ready: I like my risotto was a bit of peppery spice, so the wine matched nicely to that note along with the earthy mushroom and chopped spinach. Still a few sips left after the meal to go along some dark chocolate.

Overall, a very nice meal and loved the wine recommendation! I'll try that style of wine again for sure.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Thanks @storrsroars and @8893, picked up a 2017 La Sacrestia Langhe Nebbiolo to pair with the mushroom risotto.

My wife and I much prefer drier wines and this Nebbiolo really hit the spot. Had a glass while prepping the meal: nice mineral, subtle fruit and earthy. Awesome pairing once the meal was ready: I like my risotto was a bit of peppery spice, so the wine matched nicely to that note along with the earthy mushroom and chopped spinach. Still a few sips left after the meal to go along some dark chocolate.

Overall, a very nice meal and loved the wine recommendation! I'll try that style of wine again for sure.
Langhe Nebbiolo has become a bottle that I always keep in stock because I enjoy it so much and it pairs so well with so many meals. I stock up whenever Last Bottle has the Alessandro Rivetto Langhe Nebbiolo; I just got six of the 2019s the other day and I have two 2018s remaining. At $14 per bottle it totally over-delivers imo.

Reaction Score
Time for another quick recommendation Friday!

I have some leftover lemongrass paste that I will use as a base for a salmon marinade. Black sesame and scallions too, not sure what else.

Any red wine styles that pair nicely?

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score

I have some leftover lemongrass paste that I will use as a base for a salmon marinade. Black sesame and scallions too, not sure what else.

Tough to say w/o the "not sure what else" filled in. Honey? Ginger? Soy? Grilled? Sauteed? Baked?

If grilled and sweet, you might look for something that's fairly forward in the berry family, like a younger Pinot Noir with strawberry notes or a raspberry forward Grenache. Maybe even a Beaujolais. If not grilled, I'd probably go white. Personally, I'd probably go white regardless, but you seem to prefer reds. Good luck!

Reaction Score

IMO.. The flavoring/spices that you'll be using--Which flavor would you expect to dominate your dish? Matching your wine choice to that flavor often works well. Two grapes to check out for salmon.. Tempranillo-Spanish grape --Rioja is the most popular region. Medium-bodied despite its dark color. And although its not red -but "pink" -Rose of Pinot Noir is a nice match w/salmon. Willamette Valley Whole Cluster Rose of Pinot Noir is a bottle my wife and I enjoy with Scottish Salmon. And as @storrsroars has already mentioned.Pinot Noir can work with the right flavoring components.

Enjoy your dinner and wine.

Reaction Score
Thanks @Umami Zen and @storrsroars. One of the consolation prizes of Merritt gridlock traffic on Fridays is that I usually take a real nice backroads drive home from school that takes me through Scotts Corners, NY and there's a little liqour store right on the main strip.

Their manager referred me to a Spanish Monastrell called El Pinar de Villena. I've vaguely heard of this style of grape, but have no objective memories of drinking it and I definitely was a fan. Fruity, yet dry and the tannins paired nicely w/ the coriander I crusted on the salmon and the green pepper in the salad. When I grill salmon, I usually keep it a simple olive oil, salt and pepper, but I added beet powder for color and earthiness and coriander for some brightness.

Nice simple meal and paired well with the Monastrell! This Friday "cook something kinda special and pair with a certain bottle" will be a new end of the week tradition.

Reaction Score
Thanks @Umami Zen and @storrsroars. One of the consolation prizes of Merritt gridlock traffic on Fridays is that I usually take a real nice backroads drive home from school that takes me through Scotts Corners, NY and there's a little liqour store right on the main strip.

Their manager referred me to a Spanish Monastrell called El Pinar de Villena. I've vaguely heard of this style of grape, but have no objective memories of drinking it and I definitely was a fan. Fruity, yet dry and the tannins paired nicely w/ the coriander I crusted on the salmon and the green pepper in the salad. When I grill salmon, I usually keep it a simple olive oil, salt and pepper, but I added beet powder for color and earthiness and coriander for some brightness.

Nice simple meal and paired well with the Monastrell! This Friday "cook something kinda special and pair with a certain bottle" will be a new end of the week tradition.
Always helpful to have a someone at the store you're buying from that knows about wine/food matching.

A quick story that I think you might appreciate based on your dish last night. About 10 years ago at a food/wine pairing lecture at Beringer Winery in Napa as part of a business meeting I was attending. It's 10;30 AM..There are six glasses in front of each attendee--different varietals and food pairings. One of which is one of Beringer's high-end Cabs.The discussion/lecture is only about wine and food pairing.

We finally get to the Cab part of the tasting and one of the attendees raises his hand and expresses his frustration with combining his favorite food-grilled salmon --with his wine collection-largely made up of California Cabs. So the lecturer asks him if he's ever seasoned his grilled salmon with lemon--acidic- and then matched with one of his Cabs. The match is often off-the-charts.

Mention this to you as an interesting story(to me) in the value of the seasoning with wine vs red wine/red meat and white wine/white meat scenario. Was an eye-opener to me.

Reaction Score
Bargain alert:

My local liquor store had a $11 sale on 2019 Monte Degli Angeli Pinot Noir. While the store isn't a wine spot, I trust the owner's opinion and it was a hit last night.

Fresh dark fruit juiciness, earthy undertones and at 13% a nice warm finish. Light tannins, overall a very good wine at this price point...will head back to the store today to pick up a few more.

Reaction Score
I got a very nice gift from one of my students: Roederer Estate Brut. I'm not a big time bubbles drinker, but I often enjoy my experience. Anyone tried this before?

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
I got a very nice gift from one of my students: Roederer Estate Brut. I'm not a big time bubbles drinker, but I often enjoy my experience. Anyone tried this before?

The California one? I've had it many times. It's very good. Among the best sparkling wines the USA produces in my opinion. That's a nice gift for sure. A good one to enjoy over the holidays. Sparkling wine is just wine, too many people think it requires some unique occasion.

dvegas

Duck Fuke
Reaction Score
The California one? I've had it many times. It's very good. Among the best sparkling wines the USA produces in my opinion. That's a nice gift for sure. A good one to enjoy over the holidays. Sparkling wine is just wine, too many people think it requires some unique occasion.

I went shopping for Champagne (the real French stuff) yesterday, its my tradition to give to a couple of clients as a holiday gift, and to bring to Xmas Eve dinner. Besides prices being up around 20%, a lot of the good stuff is in short supply, or out of stock. Except nasty Veuve Cliquot, a.k.a., the Nike of Champagne (as called by an oenophile friend). Glad I realized this now, instead of next week when demand will skyrocket through New Years.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
I went shopping for Champagne (the real French stuff) yesterday, its my tradition to give to a couple of clients as a holiday gift, and to bring to Xmas Eve dinner. Besides prices being up around 20%, a lot of the good stuff is in short supply, or out of stock. Except nasty Veuve Cliquot, a.k.a., the Nike of Champagne (as called by an oenophile friend). Glad I realized this now, instead of next week when demand will skyrocket through New Years.

I am fortunate that there is a small shop in my town that doesn’t sell the high volume products in any category. No Budweiser. No Mondavi, Beringer or the big brand champagnes. No Jack Daniels. So she stocks a lot of small grower champagnes that are superb and had a recent sale.

Reaction Score
I am fortunate that there is a small shop in my town that doesn’t sell the high volume products in any category. No Budweiser. No Mondavi, Beringer or the big brand champagnes. No Jack Daniels. So she stocks a lot of small grower champagnes that are superb and had a recent sale.
That's awesome. I can concur. I'm lucky to live just a 1/2 mile from a local "macro" liquor store where the owner is super cool and directs me to his best deals, while still being quality. Also a great place to pick up stuff for parties. I'm also a ten-minute drive from a place that is similar to what you are describing.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Except nasty Veuve Cliquot, a.k.a., the Nike of Champagne (as called by an oenophile friend).
I like their Rose Champagne quite a bit. Not nasty at all. Billecart-Salmon Rose Champagne has been my go-to for years but I am not seeing it at the places I usually buy it and have been debating what I will do instead for the holidays.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom