Will South Carolina be undefeated entering the NCAAs? (Merged thread) | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Will South Carolina be undefeated entering the NCAAs? (Merged thread)

Will South Carolina be undefeated entering the NCAAs?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
As a Gamecock fan it feels so weird to be referred to as a Goliath of any sport. Thank you Dawn Staley! May she regn forever!

Next year will be an interesting one for South Carolina. We'll definitely be a preseason top 10 team (probably top 5) with a chance to shoot up the rankings, but we'll be more vulnerable than you suggest. A healthy UConn will definitely be favored over South Carolina next season in the preseason polls.
Agree, though SC will likely still have the edge in size/athleticism. Plus a lot depends on which (if any) seniors use their covid year. Any/all of Cooke, Boston, Amihere, Beal and Cardoso could bolt for the pros or return for another year (or 2 for Cardoso). Dawn likely hits the portal hard if most of those players go pro.

UCONN next year looks super loaded with all of their injured players back. Stanford should be top tier too again.

Reaction Score
Gamecocks have become the new perennial powerhouse. I’m a BU fan first, not hiding that fact, but can they be stopped? A once in a lifetime player leaves, and SC soon reloads with equal talent. Can Kim M and LSU cause SC trouble? If not who? AM is down, Tenn down, and SEC appears to be strongly tilted forever toward SC. How can Dawn be stopped from stealing all the WBB highlight spots? This BU fan is concerned. We have injuries and a new coach (who will eventually be a winner), so I’m looking for some help to end SC reign. UConn is injury prone like BU. Any ideas on who mIshtar step up? Stanford will not get the job done.

???

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
Right now SC is the top of the line in the sport. I do think they can be beaten if they have off nights. Stanford and a healthy UConn could give them a run for their money.

As good as SC is, I don't think the separation is as pronounced as it was for 2013 to 2016 UConn. I'm not sure that will ever be seen again.
We won't. Not the way talent is spreading around.

I don't mind SC being a perennial powerhouse in the sport, but it is unrealistic in the current state of WCBB to expect the kind of domination that we saw from UConn 2013-2016. WCBB is only getting better across the board.

-Mulkey is in the SEC
-UConn is still UConn as long as Geno is there
-Stanford is still Stanford as long as Tara is there
-Notre Dame is trending up
-The NC schools are trending up
-The Big Ten plays an exciting brand of ball that will only get better with USC/UCLA
-Texas/Vic Scheafer will thrive in the SEC

The state of WCBB will not allow for a single behemoth, but that's fine with me as long as SC stays in the discussion among the elites.

Reaction Score
Agree, though SC will likely still have the edge in size/athleticism. Plus a lot depends on which (if any) seniors use their covid year. Any/all of Cooke, Boston, Amihere, Beal and Cardoso could bolt for the pros or return for another year (or 2 for Cardoso). Dawn likely hits the portal hard if most of those players go pro.

UCONN next year looks super loaded with all of their injured players back. Stanford should be top tier too again.
I expect Cook and Boston to leave for the pros after this, their senior year. Both are making very good NIL money so I guess one or both could stay though i have little expectation of that.

Amihere and Cardosa are question marks due to the student visa/ US NIL issues. They might need the money. Maybe not though if their pay is made in their home countries.

Beal? I expect her to stay if Cardosa or Amihere go. Sure, she's a guard, but she probably needs a year out from the shadow of bigger names. How much will the WNBA value her defensive skills?

If Boston and Cardosa go, we'll be thin in the paint. Feagin can be and excellent scorer and Watkins can handle a lot of defense. However, they are more in the mould of forwards rather than posts. If a quality post player is in the portal this year, I could see Dawn pursuing her.

Reaction Score
I expect Cook and Boston to leave for the pros after this, their senior year. Both are making very good NIL money so I guess one or both could stay though i have little expectation of that.

Amihere and Cardosa are question marks due to the student visa/ US NIL issues. They might need the money. Maybe not though if their pay is made in their home countries.

Beal? I expect her to stay if Cardosa or Amihere go. Sure, she's a guard, but she probably needs a year out from the shadow of bigger names. How much will the WNBA value her defensive skills?

If Boston and Cardosa go, we'll be thin in the paint. Feagin can be and excellent scorer and Watkins can handle a lot of defense. However, they are more in the mould of forwards rather than posts. If a quality post player is in the portal this year, I could see Dawn pursuing her.
Agree. An elite post to replace Boston and Cardoso is the missing piece to future success. We really need to grab someone from the portal and/or recruit an elite post (i.e., Blanca Thomas, etc.) this next off-season.

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
Gamecocks have become the new perennial powerhouse. I’m a BU fan first, not hiding that fact, but can they be stopped? A once in a lifetime player leaves, and SC soon reloads with equal talent. Can Kim M and LSU cause SC trouble? If not who? AM is down, Tenn down, and SEC appears to be strongly tilted forever toward SC. How can Dawn be stopped from stealing all the WBB highlight spots? This BU fan is concerned. We have injuries and a new coach (who will eventually be a winner), so I’m looking for some help to end SC reign. UConn is injury prone like BU. Any ideas on who mIshtar step up? Stanford will not get the job done.
Since SoCar has become a perennial powerhouse, how many NCAA Tournaments have they entered undefeated? How many consecutive FFs have they been to?
Asking for a friend.

Reaction Score
Since SoCar has become a perennial powerhouse, how many NCAA Tournaments have they entered undefeated? How many consecutive FFs have they been to?
Asking for a friend.
Ask for a different ( non-rhetorical) grind.

Reaction Score
As a Gamecock fan it feels so weird to be referred to as a Goliath of any sport. Thank you Dawn Staley! May she regn forever!

Next year will be an interesting one for South Carolina. We'll definitely be a preseason top 10 team (probably top 5) with a chance to shoot up the rankings, but we'll be more vulnerable than you suggest. A healthy UConn will definitely be favored over South Carolina next season in the preseason polls.
A healthy Fudd/Bueckers backcourt alongside this renewed version of Edwards (which I am loving - she’ll be an All-American this year barring an unfortunate injury) has the potential to be one of the best college basketball teams seen in the last ten years IMO.

That said, I agree with other posters that the days of total dominance a la 2015-2016 are likely behind us. South Carolina and Stanford will remain contenders for the foreseeable future and number of other programs are on the rise.

Regardless of which of the big three you root for, they’ll all likely be in position for the title at years’ end and that’s really all you can ask.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
A healthy Fudd/Bueckers backcourt alongside this renewed version of Edwards (which I am loving - she’ll be an All-American this year barring an unfortunate injury) has the potential to be one of the best college basketball teams seen in the last ten years IMO.

That said, I agree with other posters that the days of total dominance a la 2015-2016 are likely behind us. South Carolina and Stanford will remain contenders for the foreseeable future and number of other programs are on the rise.

Regardless of which of the big three you root for, they’ll all likely be in position for the title at years’ end and that’s really all you can ask.

What if you root for none of the big 3?

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Then pull for powder blue if you must

Do I say what i wanna say and get banned.. Or should l hold back and remain on this board.

20221128_203701.jpg

Reaction Score
SDSU showing how to defend South Carolina. Pack in the paint and dare South Carolina guards to shoot. And then send all 5 of your defenders to the defensive boards.

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
SDSU showing how to defend South Carolina. Pack in the paint and dare South Carolina guards to shoot. And then send all 5 of your defenders to the defensive boards.
The problem is that they can't score on us.

Reaction Score
Honestly, that’s how everybody defends us. Or they will send somebody to cover Zia and sag 4.

Reaction Score
Did I understand correctly that someone above thought Henderson was a once in a lifetime talent? Interesting

Reaction Score

I’m rooting for Cooke but not sure she can stick in the W at this point in her career. She’s yet to shoot above 40% for a season and shooting percentages seldom improve from college to the pros. Then again, no guarantee another year in college would do it. With Cooke I think the issue is more recklessness and shot selection than it is ability.

She does have good athleticism, so she might prove me wrong.

Reaction Score
I don't see Boston staying. No idea about Cook, Beal, or Amihere. Cardoso is just a Junior and would likely want to start a year to get some more reps in preparation for the W. She's raw but you can't teach 6'7.

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
Did I understand correctly that someone above thought Henderson was a once in a lifetime talent? Interesting
I see your attempt to derail this thread and I’m going to ask politely that you not….

Reaction Score
I don't see Boston staying. No idea about Cook, Beal, or Amihere. Cardoso is just a Junior and would likely want to start a year to get some more reps in preparation for the W. She's raw but you can't teach 6'7.
I don't see why she would stay. She'll be the #1 pick this year whereas in the 2024 draft she wouldn't.

Reaction Score
I see your attempt to derail this thread and I’m going to ask politely that you not….
Not a derail at all, but a direct response to a comment on SCar's potential to go undefeated. The implication there seemed to be that the loss of Henderson was unparalleled, and indicative of a rich and deep team. Now, I'd agree that the team is rich and deep, and has as good a chance as any to go undefeated, and they might also be awesome next year too. But the loss of Henny doesn't really speak to this in the way that comment suggested.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I don't see why she would stay. She'll be the #1 pick this year whereas in the 2024 draft she wouldn't.
If Boston came out in 2024 she would still be the #1 Pick. No sensible GM is going to pass up a generational big of which they are fewer and far in-between than any generational guard. Extraordinary Height and skill always surpasses regular height and skill. This rule holds true in the NBA and the WNBA. I some hate to hear it, but it is and always will be true.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom