Will Michigan make a play for Hurley? | The Boneyard

Will Michigan make a play for Hurley?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Do you think Michigan will swoop in a try and hire Hurley? Let’s face it, they have the money $$$ to make an offer that would be hard to refuse and UConn would not be able to match. After what Hurley has done for UConn Basketball I certainly could not be mad at him if he took the cash. Unfortunately, that’s life outside The power conferences. Teams from the power conferences can swoop in and take your best players and coaches in an instant. If I’m Michigan why wouldn’t you kick the tires.

Reaction Score
Considering what he's getting paid here, what he's built here, and his family's desire to stay here - I would guess Michigan would have to pay $10+mil/year for 6+ years to get him to even consider it. If I were him, would I turn down $75mil guaranteed if that's what Michigan came in with? Probably no. But will Michigan offer that? Probably no.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Already claimed this joke on Friday.

Screenshot_20240317_113801.jpg

Reaction Score
He makes a lot of money, enough so that if he stays here and we reasonably keep up his family’s financial security is taken care of if it isn’t already. I don’t even like this as a topic at this point in the season or any point for that matter. It’s like asking 10 years ago what it would take to lure coach K out of Duke. Preposterous.

Reaction Score
I mean, other than Duke, Kentucky, UNC, maybe UCLA or Indiana, why would he? But all those coaches are safe, I think even Cronin for another year. I'm more worried the nba could come calling, would he turn down the Nets or Pistons?

Reaction Score
Is Michigan a bucket list/once in a lifetime destination? I don’t think so. Really only an opening at Duke comes to mind as a threat. Could be a situation along the lines of DeBoer for Alabama. Maybe the Celtics or Knicks if he wants to try for the NBA.

Reaction Score
Best UCLA could do was Cronin and fire Indiana Woodson - he’d never go to either. Kentucky is a nightmare from a fan perspective. UNC will stick with Davis. He’s not soft enough for Duke

Reaction Score
I just don’t know if his intensity and coaching style would work in the nba over an 82 game season with grown ass men.

I mean, the guy is insane and his drive will probably make it happen, but I think he’s got to keep going in college before he moves to that next challenge.

Also have a hard time seeing him go to another program. What’s the upside (we’ll accept for tons of cash I guess) to going to Duke or UK? If he wins he’s just doing what everyone expected. If he loses he’s a massive failure.

ColchVEGAS

Still buckin like five, deuce, four, trey.
Reaction Score
They might come calling, but it will be for nothing. I do not think Hurley is leaving UConn for any other NCAA program.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
Michigan may make the offer. But why would Hurley take it? Money, prestige, P5 program? I seriously doubt it.

Hurley's an East coast guy. He has built in 5 short years one of the premier if not the premier progra in college basketball. And money isn't everything!!!

He's staying at UConn.

Reaction Score
I don’t see him ever leaving UConn for any other big college coaching job. Not gonna happen.
This again? Paging @NJHoops. Supposedly he said it a long time ago. Before he was at UConn. Kind of like 25 year old me saying I wanted to be the CEO of a Fortune 500 company one day.

Reaction Score
Do you think Michigan will swoop in a try and hire Hurley? Let’s face it, they have the money $$$ to make an offer that would be hard to refuse and UConn would not be able to match. After what Hurley has done for UConn Basketball I certainly could not be mad at him if he took the cash. Unfortunately, that’s life outside The power conferences. Teams from the power conferences can swoop in and take your best players and coaches in an instant. If I’m Michigan why wouldn’t you kick the tires.
Where does this myth about power conferences being able to do whatever they want in hoops come from? First, am I imagining that we have an all conference player who just bailed on a Big Ten school to come here? Second, yes, the Michigan AD's budget dwarfs ours, but it still is a budget. Could they afford paying Hurley $10M a year? Yes, they could, but only by diverting $8M a year from what they could otherwise use in their football budget. To date, there is no evidence to think either Michigan or other P5 schools are willing to do this, which is why, to date, Big East basketball budgets are competitive with those of the P5.

Does that mean some school won't back up the truck and offer Hurley boatloads more money? No, that could happen. But the myth that, TODAY, P5 schools have basketball budgets dwarfing ours is just that -- a myth. (And again, maybe in five years that will prove to be the case, but our budget has been uncompetitive with Michigan's forever and it has not caused Michigan to spend multiples of what we do for hoops. )

Reaction Score
He would never leave for another college.
Agreed. He’s got everything here already. Everyone assumes he would leave for more money. I just don’t believe that. We’re always telling ourselves we are a blue blood. Then why would you leave for another blue blood especially when we are the most successful program in the last 25 years? Northeast guy with northeast family on both sides, a Big East that is resurging into relevance due in part to our return. He can build the next legacy here. Duke, Kansas, NC and Kentucky really aren’t dominate as they once were and UCLA is irrelevant. Check where they will be seeded today.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom