Will Jackson Commits To UConn!!!!!! | Page 10 | The Boneyard

Will Jackson Commits To UConn!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
I agree we've always had a lot of great kids but it did slide. Nate Miles, Wren, Kellogg but also the drug busts, laptop thefts, non-class attending crew that were toward the end of JC's tenure.
Unlike Caron, who gained a father figure in Calhoun, JC tried to become enabler in chief for Miles. If you want to see the difference compare how the Coaches handled the situations when their player had a domestic violence situation with a co-ed, Calhoun defended Miles, Ollie withdrew Wolf"s scholarship.
That is different and it is not racial.
I love and thank JC almost as much as anyone. But if you don't see the difference between JC through most of his tenure and JC at the end of his career, you're not looking.

caw

Reaction Score
I agree we've always had a lot of great kids but it did slide. Nate Miles, Wren, Kellogg but also the drug busts, laptop thefts, non-class attending crew that were toward the end of JC's tenure.
Unlike Caron, who gained a father figure in Calhoun, JC tried to become enabler in chief for Miles. If you want to see the difference compare how the Coaches handled the situations when their player had a domestic violence situation with a co-ed, Calhoun defended Miles, Ollie withdrew Wolf"s scholarship.
I love and thank JC almost as much as anyone. But if you don't see the difference between JC through most of his tenure and JC at the end of his career, you're not looking.

Miles (and this has been stated in every account I've read) broke the restraining order by calling the girl. Also have read the reatraining order had zero to do with violence. Assuming Wolf laid a hand on the girl, big difference.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
Miles should never have been recruited in the first place. Five schools in 4 years and a "checkered" past. Not to mention the incredible number of violations used to recruit him.
But he had, allegedly, assaulted the young women physically and sexually prior to restraining order violation. (Bigger Difference) Then he called her about as soon as he could coming out of the court being told not to have any contact. Courts are very explicit in explaining restraining orders and I'm pretty sure he was no more confused that was wrong than he thought it was OK to accept $ and surgery from Nichomson. (He know basically makes the girl out to be a nope).

http://ballinisahabit.blogspot.com/2008/10/nate-miles-expelled-from-uconn.html

"
Miles was a 20-year-old freshman when he finally gained his eligibility and enrolled at UConn for a summer session in June of 2008. On Sept. 22, a 19-year-old female student turned Miles into campus police, alleging that he physically and sexually assaulted her. She said that he ground his nails into her leg when she wouldn’t have sex with him, slapped her and became possessive of her. The campus police arrested Miles on Sept.25 and issued a restraining order.

Within 16 minutes of being served the order, Miles called the woman. He was charged with a felony for violating a restraining order and referred to counseling which could lead to the charges being dropped. The case is pending in Connecticut superior court.

Reaction Score

So, next time, let's not recruit a future laptop stealer even though he was raised middle-class Ivy-League educated parents.

Reaction Score
"I don't do any social media," Jackson stated bluntly. "I don't see any need for it really. I just stick to the basics I don't do Twitter or Instagram or any of that. Plus little kids look up to you and I wouldn't want to post anything stupid."
Awesome how all of us bloggers just "liked" Jackson's disdain of social media.

Reaction Score
Jim Calhoun saw Caron in Nate Miles and he extended a hand to help this very good player try to make it in life. Was it a 2 way street, sure it was but if you remember the story about Nate Miles and the way he grew up wandering around with his sister, i think that is part of why JC took a chance on him and that's what was always great about Coach. Sorry, it turned out to be a mistake but JC really thought he could help turn around another kids life originally……..then all the other crap blew it up.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
So, next time, let's not recruit a future laptop stealer even though he was raised middle-class Ivy-League educated parents.

What's the point? Laptop theft = assault? If we could see the future would we use it against upper middle class kids as well as poor kids? (All for it!) Problem was he defended both when they got in trouble, one because he had a troubled pass, he other because he was from a "good family".

Reaction Score
What's the point? Laptop theft = assault? If we could see the future would we use it against upper middle class kids as well as poor kids? (All for it!) Problem was he defended both when they got in trouble, one because he had a troubled pass, he other because he was from a "good family".

He recruited them why wouldn't he defend them? Kids make mistakes everywhere you just hear about it more at UConn.

AJ Price didn't turn out fine?

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
Jim Calhoun saw Caron in Nate Miles and he extended a hand to help this very good player try to make it in life. Was it a 2 way street, sure it was but if you remember the story about Nate Miles and the way he grew up wandering around with his sister, i think that is part of why JC took a chance on him and that's what was always great about Coach. Sorry, it turned out to be a mistake but JC really thought he could help turn around another kids life originally……..then all the other crap blew it up.

That and he saw great basketball players in both. Let's not kid ourselves. None of these excuses apply if the kid was marginal or a walk on. I think JC saw great basketball skills before he saw a redemption project. Sorry,I think our amazing, historical, HOF, basketball coach began cutting corners with recruitment and character to get a third title before his health caught up with him. This does not negate all he has done for us. And I believe JC always did try to help his kids. Bu I think the facts are there with grades, recruitment, arrests, the team quitting on him,etc. that he lost it.

Reaction Score

That's not what happened.

They were both defended (if that's what you call a suspension) because in the previous couple of years, there were 52 other students caught stealing laptops. They received semester suspensions, and that's why the faculty committee suspended the two players.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score

I still don't know what you mean by this. Price did work out fine. I don't know why you brought him up

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
Let's agree to disagree. There are ton of folks here who think Calhoun did nothing wrong. I'm not one of them. Don't think he was innocent with Nate and I don't buy the "everyone does it" theory. I don't think it was a coincidence that graduation rates, legal problems, a recruiting violation,and a poor attitude on the team all happened around the same time.

Reaction Score
That and he saw great basketball players in both. Let's not kid ourselves. None of these excuses apply if the kid was marginal or a walk on. I think JC saw great basketball skills before he saw a redemption project. Sorry,I think our amazing, historical, HOF, basketball coach began cutting corners with recruitment and character to get a third title before his health caught up with him. This does not negate all he has done for us. And I believe JC always did try to help his kids. Bu I think the facts are there with grades, recruitment, arrests, the team quitting on him,etc. that he lost it.

So he began "cutting corners" when the Miles issues arose but not when Caron came in? I call BS………in case you missed i mentioned "Was it a 2 way street, sure it was" so I get that part……but it was still JC trying to help a kid out and thinking he was part magician giving him a chance…….the cutting corners is BS

Reaction Score
That's not what happened.

They were both defended (if that's what you call a suspension) because in the previous couple of years, there were 52 other students caught stealing laptops. They received semester suspensions, and that's why the faculty committee suspended the two players.

When Jerime Anderson got arrested for stealing laptops at UCLA a year or so ago he missed a grand total of 2 games, and one of them was an exhibition. More importantly, the entire story was a blip on ESPN's radar. The Price / Williams fiasco was treated like Watergate by comparison, which still annoys the ____ out of me.

Reaction Score
I still don't know what you mean by this. Price did work out fine. I don't know why you brought him up

Wait because he worked out fine everything is fine but if some other kid screwed up it's not okay? C'mon Gavid be consistent

caw

Reaction Score
Miles should never have been recruited in the first place. Five schools in 4 years and a "checkered" past. Not to mention the incredible number of violations used to recruit him.
But he had, allegedly, assaulted the young women physically and s e xually prior to restraining order violation. (Bigger Difference) Then he called her about as soon as he could coming out of the court being told not to have any contact. Courts are very explicit in explaining restraining orders and I'm pretty sure he was no more confused that was wrong than he thought it was OK to accept $ and surgery from Nichomson. (He know basically makes the girl out to be a nope).

"
Miles was a 20-year-old freshman when he finally gained his eligibility and enrolled at UConn for a summer session in June of 2008. On Sept. 22, a 19-year-old female student turned Miles into campus police, alleging that he physically and s e xually assaulted her. She said that he ground his nails into her leg when she wouldn’t have s e x with him, slapped her and became possessive of her. The campus police arrested Miles on Sept.25 and issued a restraining order.

Within 16 minutes of being served the order, Miles called the woman. He was charged with a felony for violating a restraining order and referred to counseling which could lead to the charges being dropped. The case is pending in Connecticut superior court.

Come on you can find a better source than that:

Miles was expelled not for violation a restraining order. He was expelled for violating a restraining order AND for the abuse allegations levied against him by the female student. Now, as it turns out, there was no proof of abuse and there will be no serious charges related to those allegations.

So Miles, essentially, was expelled from UConn for placing that call 16 minutes after the restraining order was issued and for disorderly conduct.

http://blogs.courant.com/uconn_mens_basketball/2009/01/nate-miles-turns-self-in-to-uc.html

Now it does turn out it was an allegation, I didn't remember and can admit that, but the larger point the allegation had no proof/it was unsubstantiated whereas the Wolf allegation wasn't.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
Kids make mistakes. Kids deserve a second chance. I had no problem with Calhoun doing that. Caron came in and was a solid citizen. I appreciated it. But chances aren't unlimited

Mau, you said it was BS that I said Calhoun began to"cut corners around recruiting and character". That's not BS. That is pretty much proven fact. Miles was illegally recruited, was accused of assault and sexual assault (no word from Calhoun) then violated the restraining order and JC was fighting for him to stay. Meanwhile academic and other legal problems were mounting among his players.
If you think that's OK, fine. I think it is not and that the JC of the 1980s or 1990s would not have been in that situation.
Obviously we disagree. Fine. But I don't BS and after 35 years of working with adolescents and young adults, I'll put my values and consistency on kids behavior up against anyone's.
Gavid

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
But he had, allegedly, assaulted the young women physically and s e xually prior to restraining order violation. (Bigger Difference) Then he called her about as soon as he could coming out of the court being told not to have any contact. Courts are very explicit in explaining restraining orders and I'm pretty sure he was no more confused that was wrong than he thought it was OK to accept $ and surgery from Nichomson. (He know basically makes the girl out to be a nope).

"
Miles was a 20-year-old freshman when he finally gained his eligibility and enrolled at UConn for a summer session in June of 2008. On Sept. 22, a 19-year-old female student turned Miles into campus police, alleging that he physically and s e xually assaulted her. She said that he ground his nails into her leg when she wouldn’t have s e x with him, slapped her and became possessive of her. The campus police arrested Miles on Sept.25 and issued a restraining order.

So many inaccuracies in this and your other posts they aren't worth responding to (although I guess I just did.)

formerlurker

www.stjude.org
Reaction Score
So many inaccuracies in this and your other posts they aren't worth responding to (although I guess I just did.)

Deep breaths, CL82.

Always give your enemy a chance to punch their own face before you do it for them.

Why are you debating with a sack like GDavid when this is his business card to the world?

"Embarrassing. I spelled my name wrong (typo) then had I brain fart and listed H.S. graduation instead of UCONN.
So Gavid 72 is now David 76."

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Now it does turn out it was an allegation, I didn't remember and can admit that, but the larger point the allegation [against Nate Miles] had no proof/it was unsubstantiated whereas the Wolf allegation wasn't.
Feel like I gotta jump in here and defend the truth, which will look much like defending David/Gavid.

Um, not sure what you think the "large" point is, but the "allegation" against Nate Miles was a felony contempt of court, and there was about zero doubt that he did it. Not sure the exact reason Nate was sh-tcanned, but the pending felony charge probably had something to do with it.

Regarding JC, he'll always be the Moses of UConn basketball, but don't kid yourself - he was playing faster and looser toward the end, and it was time. Nate Miles wasn't the second coming of Caron. He was the incarnation of JC's desire to win another NC. Regardless of what other argument you make, remember that JC was holding the reins when 1) We got banned for APR violations, and 2) He got banned for recruiting violations. So Gavid's point is not unfounded, and only a revisionist historian would argue that the recruitment of Nate Miles wasn't an ill conceived, poor decision at the least and stupid at best.

formerlurker

www.stjude.org
Reaction Score
Feel like I gotta jump in here and defend the truth, which will look much like defending David/Gavid.

Um, not sure what you think the "large" point is, but the "allegation" against Nate Miles was a felony contempt of court, and there was about zero doubt that he did it. Not sure the exact reason Nate was sh-tcanned, but the pending felony charge probably had something to do with it.

Regarding JC, he'll always be the Moses of UConn basketball, but don't kid yourself - he was playing faster and looser toward the end, and it was time. Nate Miles wasn't the second coming of Caron. He was the incarnation of JC's desire to win another NC. Regardless of what other argument you make, remember that JC was holding the reins when 1) We got banned for APR violations, and 2) He got banned for recruiting violations. So Gavid's point is not unfounded, and only a revisionist historian would argue that the recruitment of Nate Miles wasn't an ill conceived, poor decision at the least and stupid at best.

I'm not sure what's more comical...

You feeling like you "gotta jump in" or that you believe you can "defend the truth"

What's the truth?

I'm too drunk to guess but know sure as sh-it that you have no clue either.

formerlurker

www.stjude.org
Reaction Score
Wtf does any of this have to do with Will Jackson committing?

Lord knows, I'm pretty sure JC is too busy to even care...

Duderonomy.jpg

Reaction Score

I hope you realize the APR is a ridiculous thing and the reason we didn't get around this ridiculous rule lies at the feet of Jeff Hathaway and not Calhoun. We basically didn't have a compliance staff because Hathaway had no clue what he was doing, it's a miracle we won a title in 2011 despite having Hathaway.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
macklin

Top Bottom