Will Azzi miss a free throw this season? | The Boneyard

Will Azzi miss a free throw this season?

Reaction Score
Azzi is 9 out of 9 from the line in the 2 games this season. Last season she made 31 of 34 so her career free throw percentage is 93% (40 of 43). Chances are she will miss a few this season but she needs to continue to be aggressive and get to the line a lot more than last year because it’s almost certain points and can make the difference in a close game. The NCAA Women’s career free throw record is 92% ( minimum 250). I wouldn’t bet against Azzi holding that record when she ends her UConn career.

Reaction Score
Azzi is 9 out of 9 from the line in the 2 games this season. Last season she made 31 of 34 so her career free throw percentage is 93% (40 of 43). Chances are she will miss a few this season but she needs to continue to be aggressive and get to the line a lot more than last year because it’s almost certain points and can make the difference in a close game. The NCAA Women’s career free throw record is 92% ( minimum 250). I wouldn’t bet against Azzi holding that record when she ends her UConn career.
So true. I'd like to see her get a lot more FTs, for the easy points, of course, but also because it means she's working the midrange game a lot more. Is 200 attempts this season asking too much?

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
The more relevant question is “Can our other players take lessons from Azzi to make more of their free throws?”

I mean the rest of the team save Lou are pathetic and it could cost us….

Reaction Score
The more relevant question is “Can our other players take lessons from Azzi to make more of their free throws?”

I mean the rest of the team save Lou are pathetic and it could cost us….
I've been watching the shooting form of our team for the last few years, and only Paige and Azzi seem to have regular, sustainable shots. Aaliyah and Aubrey come the closest. I haven't seen enough of Lou's FTs to judge her yet. All the rest hold their hands or arms off the center line, or have an odd jerk in the motion. But watch Azzi especially: her shooting hand is always directly behind the ball, and she shoots on the center line above her eyes. You can see it in the rotation of the ball Azzi shoots, too, always a gentle backwards rolling motion. Most of them, the ball is spinning at an angle, or hardly spins at all. Dorka's ball spins almost sideways sometimes.

Reaction Score
Calling KML & Elena Delle Donne. As little motion as possible on those free throws.

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
Back in the day: If still with us, Olde Coach would be having a field day offering his
free throw research and wisdom. I guarantee that he would be contacting Geno with offers to come to Storrs
for some teaching moments. Uhhh...he might....might...excuse Azzie and Paige.

Reaction Score
Maybe not.....her stroke is so perfect....also her shooting motion is ideal. Only if she hurst her hands will she miss

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
What I find really impressive about Azzi's free throws (and other shots as well) is that they rarely even graze the rim. Even shots off the backboard fall through without rattling around a little. It is almost always nothing but net.

Another nickname Azzi Phhht. ;)

Reaction Score
Yes, even if she only had the same number of minimal attempts as last year, but even more so when she plays more games, more minutes per game, will drive more to the basket, and get more FT attempts per minute than last year. If the question was, will she miss in the first 10 games with two in the book, it would be an interesting proposition.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
I guess the more natural questions to ask are

1) Record for most consecutive made FT's from UConn player?
2) Record for most consecutive made FT's in general?

Reaction Score
I think she'll miss about 6-8 foul shots this season and that's only because she's going to log so many minutes that she'll get a bit arm weary....... is the only player that I can think of who you can tell is having an off-shooting day when the ball touches the rim before it goes in......

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
Calling KML & Elena Delle Donne. As little motion as possible on those free throws.
Maggie Lucas of Penn State was another great free-throw shooter. Her senior year, I heard her say that her New Years resolution was to miss no free throws the rest of the season. I think she missed one or two. Seven total for the season, shooting over six a game. I think she was around 95% for the season and 91 or 92 for her career, both marks better than EDD or KML (or Sue Bird for that matter).

Does anyone know who holds the NCAA records for season and career?

Reaction Score
I'm betting you're the one that lets pitchers know they haven't allowed any hits in the late innings.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I'm betting you're the one that lets pitchers know they haven't allowed any hits in the late innings.
Exactly!

sun

Reaction Score
Reaction Score
These record holders are listed in the 2019–20 Division I Women's Basketball Records.
Free Throw Percentage
Season
96.5%—Kitija Laksa, South Fla., 2018 (111 of 115)
Career (Min. 250 made)
92.5%—Presley Hudson, Central Mich., 2016-19, (406 of 439)
Laksa's record fell last year:

Season 97.3%—Haley Cavinder, Fresno St., 2022 (109 of 112)

(2023 record book is online now)

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
The consecutive FTs made records are:

26 in a game, 70 in a season, and 75 in a career.

Reaction Score

So true. I'd like to see her get a lot more FTs, for the easy points, of course, but also because it means she's working the midrange game a lot more. Is 200 attempts this season asking too much?

For a guard, getting to the line usually involves taking hits on drives. I agree that her ft's are virtual pts on the board, and so are her mid-range shots. I saw a SM blurb somewhere that had her among the leaders in 2pt fg, something over 80%, the one guard among a bunch of posts. And 50% on 3's are equal to 75%.

Reaction Score
I remember reading about some
scientist/mathematician/person:oops: who claimed that no one could maintain an average above 93% (he had a minimum number of attempts he used for his study but I don’t remember what it was) His contention was that even if someone were to have/develop the pure repetitive stroke needed to shoot that kind of percentage, there were simply too many instances over the course of a/several season/s where the shooter would be physically unable to maintain the purity of motion necessary for that level of success. Injuries, emotional highs and lows, altercations, biorhythms, exhaustion, even crowd noise, he said, create too many obstacles for any human to shoot above this/his declared top level. As I said, I believe 93% was that number though I’m not positive.
I have no idea if any of that is true but, watching Azzi’s shooting form, if anyone can do it, it may be her! All I know is, if one of our players is fouled at the end of a close game, I want it to be Azzi!

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
When Wes Bialosuknia (my vintage) was on the then required freshman team, he was an insane 99/101. On varsity I think his longest streak was something like 36 in a row. I believe he was around 90% for his career.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom