Wild Dreams: The BE Could Kill the ACC | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Wild Dreams: The BE Could Kill the ACC

Reaction Score
Miami always wins the off season...

But I do think they will win 8 this year...

Reaction Score
They are still a couple of years away from building an experienced roster...maybe 10 wins in 2026.

Reaction Score
Congratulations on being the first person to post that this is the year that Miami returns to the top. There will be many more. Then Miami will start with a bang then lose a bunch and everyone will will write how NEXT year Miami will be the year Miami turns it around.
Are you confusing Miami with Notre Dame?:)

Reaction Score
This was copied from above. I'm just adding the US News rankings. Memphis is an outlier (maybe Rice at #17 would be a better choice). Many of the private schools took a huge hit last year with the new ratings criteria. The leftover ACC schools would hate this (except SMU), but if they're left out by the Big 10, SEC, and Big 12, where else are they going to go?

EAST

Syracuse - 67
Boston College - 39
UConn - 58
Duke - 7
Wake Forest - 47
Georgia Tech - 33
USF - 89

WEST

Tulane - 73
SMU - 89
Memphis - 269
Cal - 15
Stanford - 3
Oregon State - 142
Washington State - 178
Dumping Louisville would be an upgrade for the reconstituted ACC. But not sure why anyone thinks they are going anywhere.

Reaction Score
The ACC needs to survive if UConn is going to find a home in a decent football conference. Numbers wise.

Tulane, Rice, Vandy, Northwestern to the ACC after all the State U's bail. The ACC will become the Ivy of the "South" with its private U's. At some point Vandy and Northwestern may decide it no longer makes sense to be in a semi-pro conference because they won't be able to compete and they may want to protect their reputations.

Reaction Score
So Northwestern's highest priority is playing semi-pro football, and most likely not competing very well once the heavyweights really start throwing their weight around. Or maybe Northwestern is most concerned about remaining a peer of Yale, MIT, Harvard, Princeton. I get that a $16 Billion endowment just doesn't go as far these days so they have to chase the fraction of a percentage point in athletic revenue, but long term, I think Northwestern may have different ideas. Athletic revenue is barely a rounding error. Granted we don't see it that way.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Never happens. They won’t walk away from the cash flow and the alumni would not allow it.

People who post stuff like this don’t know many Northwestern alumni. For the most part, Northwestern and Vanderbilt alumni could not give a crap about being in a league with Michigan, Ohio State, Alabama and Georgia. The vast majority of them would rather play universities they consider peers.

And as others have pointed out, the endowments at those schools make the small profit they make from basketball and to a lesser extent football, basically irrelevant.

What those schools do care about is the perception of becoming just another athletic department with a university attached. The elite schools need to convince families to pay $100,000/year to attend, and a football game against Mississippi State does not help that pitch at all.

Reaction Score
I believe the presumption is that those teams would be snatched up by the BIG12.
I think Cuse has a chance to get the Big 12. They would give them a foothold in NY

dayooper

It's what I do. I drink and I know things.
Reaction Score
I think Cuse has a chance to get the Big 12. They would give them a foothold in NY
Which NY? Would they give a foothold in NYC?

Reaction Score
They have a lot of alumni in NYC.
It's an interesting and relevant question. For my money, Uconn is the better option. Uconn is a slightly larger school, slightly better academics, closer to NYC and better athletic department.

Syracuse claims to have more NYC-based alumni (something like 50k to 20k to Uconn), but I haven't seen any objective numbers and, honestly, those are both peanuts to the total population of NYC. What matters more is brand and fans.

Reaction Score
It's an interesting and relevant question. For my money, Uconn is the better option. Uconn is a slightly larger school, slightly better academics, closer to NYC and better athletic department.

Syracuse claims to have more NYC-based alumni (something like 50k to 20k to Uconn), but I haven't seen any objective numbers and, honestly, those are both peanuts to the total population of NYC. What matters more is brand and fans.
I live in NYC. UConn alum. More Cuse swag seen here. They have a brand and they have the fans and they have decent football. As disgusting as that all is, I believe if it comes to a point where they need a lifeline they will get it. If Big 12 added Ville and Pitt, they would add Cuse as well, and get the support of Cuse dominated ESPN.

Reaction Score
SU has many alumni in NYC because a large chunk of them moved back home and live with their parents, not that I would blame them. I'd be curious to know how many new yorkers are choosing SUNY Stony Brook over SU now. Stony Brook is better by almost all measures and you don't have to drive 4 hours to get there.

Reaction Score
I live in NYC. UConn alum. More Cuse swag seen here. They have a brand and they have the fans and they have decent football. As disgusting as that all is, I believe if it comes to a point where they need a lifeline they will get it. If Big 12 added Ville and Pitt, they would add Cuse as well, and get the support of Cuse dominated ESPN.
They had some really bad football teams not too long ago. They could use a rivalry with UConn.

Reaction Score
They had some really bad football teams not too long ago. They could use a rivalry with UConn.
I remember UConn thrashing them in the Dome one time, but they have been marginally better of late.

Reaction Score
Syracuse has a large alumni base in and around NYC, but it doesn't carry the NYC market by any means. Syracuse is not even close to NYC. UConn is much closer. The B1G actually has 3 schools that are geographically closer to NYC than Syracuse is.................Rutgers, Maryland, and Penn State.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Robrio89

Top Bottom