Wild Dreams: The BE Could Kill the ACC | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Wild Dreams: The BE Could Kill the ACC

Redding Husky

UConn & SMU alum
Reaction Score
This was copied from above. I'm just adding the US News rankings. Memphis is an outlier (maybe Rice at #17 would be a better choice). Many of the private schools took a huge hit last year with the new ratings criteria. The leftover ACC schools would hate this (except SMU), but if they're left out by the Big 10, SEC, and Big 12, where else are they going to go?

EAST

Syracuse - 67
Boston College - 39
UConn - 58
Duke - 7
Wake Forest - 47
Georgia Tech - 33
USF - 89

WEST

Tulane - 73
SMU - 89
Memphis - 269
Cal - 15
Stanford - 3
Oregon State - 142
Washington State - 178

Reaction Score
the only real hope for the schools that remain is they can make a big enough stand in basketball that the power 2/3 cannot create their own basketball championship without a credibility crisis.

Reaction Score
I some ways I agree with you (Duke not wanting B12) but USC, UCLA, Ore and Wash to Big10 and Cal, SMU and Stanford to ACC might say otherwise.
Yeah, stranger things have happened for sure!

Reaction Score
I some ways I agree with you (Duke not wanting B12) but USC, UCLA, Ore and Wash to Big10 and Cal, SMU and Stanford to ACC might say otherwise.
Big, some would say huge, difference between going to the Big 10 and going to the Big 12. Cal and Stanford feared being left behind entirely and ending up In the MWC. That is way different than being in the ACC. USC wanted out of the PAC for a decade. Always felt they were held back by being out of the limelight. UCLA was their “travel partner”. My guess is everyone will ultimately regret Washington and Oregon, but none more than Washington and Oregon.

Redding Husky

UConn & SMU alum
Reaction Score
This was copied from above. I replaced Memphis with SDSU. SDSU has more going for it than Memphis and it would also please the other West Coast schools. The leftover ACC schools would hate this (except for SMU), but if they're left out by the Big 10, SEC, and Big 12, where else are those schools going to go? Pitt and Louisville would most likely go to the Big 12. UVA may end up here, although I wouldn't count on that. The Big 10 may take Duke. The numbers represent the US News ranking.

EAST
-----
Syracuse - 67
Boston College - 39
UConn - 58
Duke - 7
Wake Forest - 47
Georgia Tech - 33
USF - 89

WEST
------
Tulane - 73
SMU - 89
Cal - 15
Stanford - 3
SDSU - 105
Oregon State - 142
Washington State - 178

Hondo 77

The voice of reason
Reaction Score
There is no way in hell the basketball memerbs of the BE would once again be part of a hybrid conference as they found out the first time through. it would be just a matter of time before they (basketball only members) would take a backseat to the schools that also played football.
I agree, but it would be justice.

Reaction Score
This was copied from above. I replaced Memphis with SDSU. SDSU has more going for it than Memphis and it would also please the other West Coast schools. The leftover ACC schools would hate this (except for SMU), but if they're left out by the Big 10, SEC, and Big 12, where else are those schools going to go? Pitt and Louisville would most likely go to the Big 12. UVA may end up here, although I wouldn't count on that. The Big 10 may take Duke. The numbers represent the US News ranking.

EAST
-----
Syracuse - 67
Boston College - 39
UConn - 58
Duke - 7
Wake Forest - 47
Georgia Tech - 33
USF - 89

WEST
------
Tulane - 73
SMU - 89
Cal - 15
Stanford - 3
SDSU - 105
Oregon State - 142
Washington State - 178
If Oregon State and Wash State go elsewhere, Army and Navy could do football only or football with a couple other sports.

dayooper

It's what I do. I drink and I know things.
Reaction Score
Big, some would say huge, difference between going to the Big 10 and going to the Big 12. Cal and Stanford feared being left behind entirely and ending up In the MWC. That is way different than being in the ACC. USC wanted out of the PAC for a decade. Always felt they were held back by being out of the limelight. UCLA was their “travel partner”. My guess is everyone will ultimately regret Washington and Oregon, but none more than Washington and Oregon.
Oh course there is a big difference. Even with USC wanting out, who would have thought they would go to the Big10. Washington and Oregon will be fine. Being part of the money starting in 2030 and a place at the table means more that just about everything. They kept their biggest rivals (each other) and are still rubbing elbows with elite academic schools that, besides geography, might have more in common with (large public flagship universities). At least Washington does.

Reaction Score
EAST

Syracuse
Boston College
UConn
Duke
Wake Forest
Georgia Tech
USF

WEST

Tulane
SMU
Memphis
Cal
Stanford
Oregon State
Washington State
What do you think the media deal for that would be? $10m? Maybe?

Reaction Score
Oh course there is a big difference. Even with USC wanting out, who would have thought they would go to the Big10. Washington and Oregon will be fine. Being part of the money starting in 2030 and a place at the table means more that just about everything. They kept their biggest rivals (each other) and are still rubbing elbows with elite academic schools that, besides geography, might have more in common with (large public flagship universities). At least Washington does.
Well, kind of everybody. USC wanted out and it was something of an open secret that they were interested in the Big 10. The rumor had been around before. Texas and USC was talked about at one time. Just had to figure out the how part. I think the Big would have preferred not to take Washington and especially Oregon, but convinced itself they were more valuable than they will ultimately be.

Reaction Score
I think the Big would have preferred not to take Washington and especially Oregon, but convinced itself they were more valuable than they will ultimately be.

Flugaur said immediately after USC and UCLA were added that the B1G would go West again before they went East. I don't think the B1G had to talk themselves into taking Washington and Oregon. They were always in the plan. I think what changed was the timeline. The B1G didn't want to destroy the PAC-12, so they were going to take USC and UCLA now - get the new contract (which they did) and then wait until the end of the new contract before expanding again. What changed is the 4 corners - or at least 2 of them - flirting with the Big 12. Then Colorado joined the Big 12 and the PAC-12 was in collapse-mode. The B1G decided to make the move at about the same time the other 3 corner schools went to the Big 12. That all went down in the same day, but Colorado left at least a week earlier.

I think the B1G wanted the PAC-12 to make a couple additions and stabilize now - then take Washington and Oregon at the end of the new contract, in which the PAC-12 could have added a couple more and stabilized. The Big 12 made that not possible. Having said that, I do realize the B1G adding USC and UCLA is ultimately what killed the PAC-12. But if the B1G said no to them, I'm sure the SEC would have said yes, and then the B1G would have been behind further behind the SEC.

Reaction Score
On a different thread I had posted that the Big East and remaining ACC schools should unite. They become the The Big ACC. That was before Stanford, California and SMU moved east. Personally I believe that was a mistake on their part and should ask the State schools of Washington and Oregon to take them back when they regroup the PAC Conference. SMU belong in the AAC or Big 12 or whatever they will be called after the next round of expansion.

The Big ACC would function as a basketball football conference. Clemson, Florida State, North Carolina and Virginia are off to new places. Because oh state government Virginia Tech and North Carolina State would have to be part and league swapping. Notre Dame can take a walk.

I’ll play along. So that leaves the following scenario.

Basketball

1) Butler
2) DePaul
3) Creighton
4) Georgetown
5) Marquette
6) Providence
7) Saint Johns
8) Seton Hall
9) Villanova
10) Xavier

Football

1) Boston College
2) Connecticut
3) Duke
4) Georgia Tech
5) Louisville
6) Miami
7) Pittsburgh
8) Syracuse
9) South Florida
10) Wake Forest

That’s 20 schools. And it would continue to be a basketball power house while playing football. If you want to go to 30 teams that would not be hard at all.

In basketball you add: Dayton, Saint Louis, Whicita State, Virginia Commonwealth and any other school from the Atlantic 10.

For football you steal larger market schools like: Memphis, Tulane, South Florida and see if any two of the following schools would want to return: Cincinnati, Central Florida, Temple and West Virginia. If not, then grab Buffalo and Liberty.

That 30 for 30.

KryHavok

Oh yes, UConn IS a BB blueblood!
Reaction Score
On a different thread I had posted that the Big East and remaining ACC schools should unite. They become the The Big ACC. That was before Stanford, California and SMU moved east. Personally I believe that was a mistake on their part and should ask the State schools of Washington and Oregon to take them back when they regroup the PAC Conference. SMU belong in the AAC or Big 12 or whatever they will be called after the next round of expansion.

The Big ACC would function as a basketball football conference. Clemson, Florida State, North Carolina and Virginia are off to new places. Because oh state government Virginia Tech and North Carolina State would have to be part and league swapping. Notre Dame can take a walk.

I’ll play along. So that leaves the following scenario.

Basketball

1) Butler
2) DePaul
3) Creighton
4) Georgetown
5) Marquette
6) Providence
7) Saint Johns
8) Seton Hall
9) Villanova
10) Xavier

Football

1) Boston College
2) Connecticut
3) Duke
4) Georgia Tech
5) Louisville
6) Miami
7) Pittsburgh
8) Syracuse
9) South Florida
10) Wake Forest

That’s 20 schools. And it would continue to be a basketball power house while playing football. If you want to go to 30 teams that would not be hard at all.

In basketball you add: Dayton, Saint Louis, Whicita State, Virginia Commonwealth and any other school from the Atlantic 10.

For football you steal larger market schools like: Memphis, Tulane, South Florida and see if any two of the following schools would want to return: Cincinnati, Central Florida, Temple and West Virginia. If not, then grab Buffalo and Liberty.

That 30 for 30.
It's not terrible (except BC ^_-), but the notion that Miami would willingly go back into a situation that reeks of the old Big East is not in keeping with their aspirations. We saw how that played out the last time. I loved the old Big East, had some solid and enjoyable football and awesomely great hoops. But this is folly to think we can ever go back to that.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Flugaur said immediately after USC and UCLA were added that the B1G would go West again before they went East. I don't think the B1G had to talk themselves into taking Washington and Oregon. They were always in the plan. I think what changed was the timeline. The B1G didn't want to destroy the PAC-12, so they were going to take USC and UCLA now - get the new contract (which they did) and then wait until the end of the new contract before expanding again. What changed is the 4 corners - or at least 2 of them - flirting with the Big 12. Then Colorado joined the Big 12 and the PAC-12 was in collapse-mode. The B1G decided to make the move at about the same time the other 3 corner schools went to the Big 12. That all went down in the same day, but Colorado left at least a week earlier.

I think the B1G wanted the PAC-12 to make a couple additions and stabilize now - then take Washington and Oregon at the end of the new contract, in which the PAC-12 could have added a couple more and stabilized. The Big 12 made that not possible. Having said that, I do realize the B1G adding USC and UCLA is ultimately what killed the PAC-12. But if the B1G said no to them, I'm sure the SEC would have said yes, and then the B1G would have been behind further behind the SEC.
I don't know what I don't know what they the Big Ten intended or didn't intend, but it was there taking of Oregon and Washington that caused the Pac 12 to collapse. Have they held off the PAC 12 stays together and we are in the big 12.

Reaction Score
I don't know what I don't know what they the Big Ten intended or didn't intend, but it was there taking of Oregon and Washington that caused the Pac 12 to collapse. Have they held off the PAC 12 stays together and we are in the big 12.
i'm not convinced that the Big 12 wouldnt have shivved us anyways... I mean look how desperate SMU got. Good lord, look at that alternative, they don't sign off on us and then "nah you don't have to pay us" SMU rushes in.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Miami football has finished within one game of .500 in league play in 16 of its 20 years in the ACC, which is right where its administration wants to be. Miami’s Administration hated its renegade football program in the 90’s and the pressure it had to succeed in the Big East’s unequal revenue split.

I have said before that I think it is likely that the prestige private schools like Northwestern and Vanderbilt will form their own conference as the NIL and portal turn college sports into just another minor league. I think Miami would be very interested in joining that league.

Reaction Score
Miami football has finished within one game of .500 in league play in 16 of its 20 years in the ACC, which is right where its administration wants to be. Miami’s Administration hated its renegade football program in the 90’s and the pressure it had to succeed in the Big East’s unequal revenue split.

I have said before that I think it is likely that the prestige private schools like Northwestern and Vanderbilt will form their own conference as the NIL and portal turn college sports into just another minor league. I think Miami would be very interested in joining that league.
You are exactly right on Miami. They are perfectly happy being a mid-tier program. Though I have heard they are sniffing around the Big 10. But not selling power. Selling academics and access to the SEC market. They get unless your name is Notre Dame, a private school isn’t competing at a high level. I don’t see your prestige league but maybe. I think that would take a total P2 breakaway.

Reaction Score
USC?
We will see. I have my doubts. They haven’t exactly been burning it up over the last decade. Last year they had a Heisman trophy QB and an supposed offensive wizard as a head coach and finished 7-5. Haven’t sniffed a National Championship in 20 years. And it is going to get tougher, not easier having to compete with the Big 10 powers.

Reaction Score
You are exactly right on Miami. They are perfectly happy being a mid-tier program. Though I have heard they are sniffing around the Big 10. But not selling power. Selling academics and access to the SEC market. They get unless your name is Notre Dame, a private school isn’t competing at a high level. I don’t see your prestige league but maybe. I think that would take a total P2 breakaway.
Miami may be in a good position to have really good football teams coming up. Their 2024 class is ranked number 5 and the 2023 # 8. They now have a pretty good QB. Defensive backs are the weakness. But…maybe the Canes can throw NIL money like beads at Mardi Gras.

Reaction Score
Miami may be in a good position to have really good football teams coming up. Their 2024 class is ranked number 5 and the 2023 # 8. They now have a pretty good QB. Defensive backs are the weakness. But…maybe the Canes can throw NIL money like beads at Mardi Gras.
Congratulations on being the first person to post that this is the year that Miami returns to the top. There will be many more. Then Miami will start with a bang then lose a bunch and everyone will will write how NEXT year Miami will be the year Miami turns it around.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom