Why The Selection Committee is a Joke | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Why The Selection Committee is a Joke

Reaction Score
Bubba just came on CBS Sports and said that the committee does not have a set standard of metrics to base their selections and rankings on.

Each committee member is allowed to choose their selections
for their own, completely biased reasons.

He can’t answer if # of Quad 1 wins vs. bad losses matters more. He said “I wish it was that simple and easy to do.”

Wow.
This is a good thing.

Reaction Score
If the extent fans take the selection process seriously is 100, then the Committee works at about a 14 level. They just don't care about screening resumes to the degree they claim. They work on the 4 #1's and about 10 bubble teams. The rest are thrown in to their slots early in the week.

If chalk held in these conference tournaments, then this bracket makes a lot more sense ( IAST as the second best team in the B12, Auburn 5th in the SEC, Illinois the 2nd/3rd in the B1G, FAU as the best AAC team and SDST as a random MW team.
this is exactly what I was saying around 6:15 when the selections were announced. The committee puts up this facade that it is objective and driven academically by data and it isn't. Like Tenspro has been saying, I think they had UConn at the #3 overall and set up their bracket that way and then when the results of late Friday and the weekend occurred they stayed with those brackets. Instead they should have been doing the hard work they were supposed to and rearranging the teams based on the conference tournament results.

Reaction Score
They showed a graphic that had the east bracket with the easiest competition based on what THEY ranked the teams. Do they think we are idiots, they put up something that they have control over and then say we did a fair job. Bite me

Reaction Score
The Committee's problem isn't that they don't watch the games, it's that they don't care to do a thorough job.

Anyone who's participated in anything like this knows that once something is "close enough," which they probably had on Friday, they weren't going to do the work unless absolutely forced to.
The committee problem is incompetence. The head guy is a lightweight and could barely put together a cohesive sentence. I can only imagine the other clowns on committee. Acc is dreadful and got 5. Do these guys watch any games. Sadly deserving kids suffer. Pac 10 is awful, wash st would be 10 in big east. Mountain west was totally based on creighton wins yet providence 2 creighton wins meaningless. The whole thing is an embarrassment. Go get 3 in final 4

Reaction Score
This is a good thing.
It would be a good thing if there was a set collection of metrics that were used. Not using the same base metrics for all teams is a farce. This isn’t recruiting where you shape a team to your own strategy, this is judging all teams by the same metrics, and understanding which metrics were used.

You shouldn’t be able to argue that OOC record matters for some teams more than others. You also shouldn’t reward the MWC and their SOS vs. the Big East.

Anytime the committee answers with “well we felt,” it just means they went against analytical evidence for observable bias.

And totally agree with the point above by @my2cents … the fact the committee viewed NCSt as a bracket buster but still pushed Virginia in over SHU or SJU proves the farce.

Hate it or love it, it’s just not consistent.

Reaction Score
Its a tough road for sure. But the chances are not small that 50% of the above mentioned teams will never cross our path. It's gonna be wild. This tourney is gonna have as little chalk as my wife's "I like their colors" bracket.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
C450329B-6530-45DD-969F-34873C58F8FC.jpeg

Reaction Score
Bubba just came on CBS Sports and said that the committee does not have a set standard of metrics to base their selections and rankings on.

Each committee member is allowed to choose their selections for their own, completely biased reasons.

He can’t answer if # of Quad 1 wins vs. bad losses matters more. He said “I wish it was that simple and easy to do.”

Wow.
If they don't have a criteria, they don't have to defend or explain anything and they can do what they want for whatever reason. They have been doing it for years. This guy just finally admitted it. The explanation, if you can call it that, for having Iowa St as #2 with us was incoherent and contradictory to something he said about another team 2 minutes earlier in regards to not making the tournament. We received zero benefit and a borderline punishment for being #1 overall. Even Creighton has to play 14 seed Akron in Pittsburgh. Not sure what kind of fanbase Akron has but that's a pretty close proximity.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Broiled dog spit like Michigan State, A&M and Virginia are in the field but not PC, who has more high quality wins than any bubble team, or St. John’s?

The NCAA/P2 is abusing their product, and they will destroy it eventually.

Reaction Score
Broiled dog spit like Michigan State, A&M and Virginia are in the field but not PC, who has more high quality wins than any bubble team, or St. John’s?

The NCAA/P2 is abusing their product, and they will destroy it eventually.

The message is clear: They are going to get their teams in the tourney whether there is an expansion to 96 or not.

Reaction Score
It would be a good thing if there was a set collection of metrics that were used. Not using the same base metrics for all teams is a farce. This isn’t recruiting where you shape a team to your own strategy, this is judging all teams by the same metrics, and understanding which metrics were used.

You shouldn’t be able to argue that OOC record matters for some teams more than others. You also shouldn’t reward the MWC and their SOS vs. the Big East.

Anytime the committee answers with “well we felt,” it just means they went against analytical evidence for observable bias.

And totally agree with the point above by @my2cents … the fact the committee viewed NCSt as a bracket buster but still pushed Virginia in over SHU or SJU proves the farce.

Hate it or love it, it’s just not consistent.
Avoiding groupthink is good. It leads to more interesting discussions and better outcomes overall. And they do have all the same base metrics on the team sheets the committee is given (NET/Quads, KenPom, BPI, SOR, KPI, road/neutral splits, strength of schedule splits, etc.), but people are allowed to believe and/or bring up other metrics not on the sheets (like WAB, T-Rank, EvanMiya, etc.)

Reaction Score

Each committee member is allowed to choose their selections for their own, completely biased reasons.

Wow.
That there are a million amateurs going this, and plenty that aren't "amateurs" makes this all the more ridiculous. You could form a committee with the Lunardi's, Pomeroy, etc. and come up with a 100% better bracket.

Reaction Score
The East bracket is also known as the Bracket of Conference Champions

Awesome baby

Truth be told, I don't care, but the committee members are still idiots. Oblivious to their mistakes and misdoings

We're good, bring it on baby
Yup. UConn will come out of the toughest region, by far. But that doesn't change the fact that they did a crap job.

Hunt for 7

Built Hurley Strong
Reaction Score
If they don't have a criteria, they don't have to defend or explain anything and they can do what they want for whatever reason. They have been doing it for years. This guy just finally admitted it. The explanation, if you can call it that, for having Iowa St as #2 with us was incoherent and contradictory to something he said about another team 2 minutes earlier in regards to not making the tournament. We received zero benefit and a borderline punishment for being #1 overall. Even Creighton has to play 14 seed Akron in Pittsburgh. Not sure what kind of fanbase Akron has but that's a pretty close proximity.
They put a clown yes man to go on national tv and explain a biased probably fixed process and it came off looking like complete BS. If I passed this guy in the street I would heckle him worse than the opposing fans have heckled Danny. This guy should know anyone who does not live in the P2 world or the Midwest absolutely despises him. They took the competitive balance out of March Madness. It’s only a couple years until people like Dr. PHD FOS…..is gone and they treat this like a business. Can’t wait for that too happen. You know it’s been so long since we were fighting for a high seed I kind of forgot how bad it is. Like when they put UCLA and us in the same bracket during Ray’s last year. The national championship was played when we played UCLA. This Midwest biased has hurt us over the years. We might have 7 chips if it wasn’t for this bias. On the flip side not one team ranked 2-4 in our bracket was happy too see that they were put into our bracket. I will be rooting as much for Pukedo to lose on the sled ride down the mountain as for us climbing the mountain. It’s funny all the people that roasted me when I suggested the selection committee had a mid west biased. Not one is coming at me today. I was hoping that would happen. Especially from my favorite antagonist @navery12. Wonder if he thinks it’s still all in my head. Yesterday brought me back to the nineties and all the bracket BS that happened to us. Of course the conference tournaments did not matter. The Big10 tournament always ends half hour before the selection show. How could they matter. Same as the other P2 conference the SEC. Football money hard at work to protect all the P2 conferences. It only bothers me because it is so obvious. After steaming about it most of last night this is where I landed. They knew we are so dominant the only way to make it competitive is put every team possible that has a style that might work against us in our bracket. And like many said that was finished by last Thursday. We get to select our sites so we get hosed for dominating. Let’s make Brooklyn and TD real home venues. Now it’s time for the fans to step up and buy every ticket. I am willing to contribute $10k to a collective that will buy as money tickets for UConn fans who cannot afford to go. I am spending double that to me in Brooklyn and Boston. Was not going to Boston but now I bought tickets for the second weekend. They are very good tickets and I paid for them just so I can find the ncaa committee group that they send to all venues so I can heckle them. This just opened up a lot of all wounds from when I lived in Chicago and had to argue with all those Midwest people who think they always that the moral high ground as the passive aggressive punks they are. Does anyone remember how bad it was in the it’s getting screwed on selection Sunday years.

Reaction Score
Avoiding groupthink is good. It leads to more interesting discussions and better outcomes overall. And they do have all the same base metrics on the team sheets the committee is given (NET/Quads, KenPom, BPI, SOR, KPI, road/neutral splits, strength of schedule splits, etc.), but people are allowed to believe and/or bring up other metrics not on the sheets (like WAB, T-Rank, EvanMiya, etc.)
Just because they have a sheet with those metrics doesn’t mean they understand them or know how to use them

Also, it’s fairly clear that they use the other very important metric during decision making: $$$$

Reaction Score
They put a clown yes man to go on national tv and explain a biased probably fixed process and it came off looking like complete BS. If I passed this guy in the street I would heckle him worse than the opposing fans have heckled Danny. This guy should know anyone who does not live in the P2 world or the Midwest absolutely despises him. They took the competitive balance out of March Madness. It’s only a couple years until people like Dr. PHD FOS…..is gone and they treat this like a business. Can’t wait for that too happen. You know it’s been so long since we were fighting for a high seed I kind of forgot how bad it is. Like when they put UCLA and us in the same bracket during Ray’s last year. The national championship was played when we played UCLA. This Midwest biased has hurt us over the years. We might have 7 chips if it wasn’t for this bias. On the flip side not one team ranked 2-4 in our bracket was happy too see that they were put into our bracket. I will be rooting as much for Pukedo to lose on the sled ride down the mountain as for us climbing the mountain. It’s funny all the people that roasted me when I suggested the selection committee had a mid west biased. Not one is coming at me today. I was hoping that would happen. Especially from my favorite antagonist @navery12. Wonder if he thinks it’s still all in my head. Yesterday brought me back to the nineties and all the bracket BS that happened to us. Of course the conference tournaments did not matter. The Big10 tournament always ends half hour before the selection show. How could they matter. Same as the other P2 conference the SEC. Football money hard at work to protect all the P2 conferences. It only bothers me because it is so obvious. After steaming about it most of last night this is where I landed. They knew we are so dominant the only way to make it competitive is put every team possible that has a style that might work against us in our bracket. And like many said that was finished by last Thursday. We get to select our sites so we get hosed for dominating. Let’s make Brooklyn and TD real home venues. Now it’s time for the fans to step up and buy every ticket. I am willing to contribute $10k to a collective that will buy as money tickets for UConn fans who cannot afford to go. I am spending double that to me in Brooklyn and Boston. Was not going to Boston but now I bought tickets for the second weekend. They are very good tickets and I paid for them just so I can find the ncaa committee group that they send to all venues so I can heckle them. This just opened up a lot of all wounds from when I lived in Chicago and had to argue with all those Midwest people who think they always that the moral high ground as the passive aggressive punks they are. Does anyone remember how bad it was in the it’s getting screwed on selection Sunday years.

Your posts are interesting and worth reading, but damn nearly impossible to read because you make a big run on wall of text.

Try adding some spaces/paragraph breaks and I bet you’ll generate more discussion…cheers!

Hunt for 7

Built Hurley Strong
Reaction Score
Your posts are interesting and worth reading, but damn nearly impossible to read because you make a big run on wall of text.

Try adding some spaces/paragraph breaks and I bet you’ll generate more discussion…cheers!
Thank you for the advise it was angry typing this morning. But I will certainly take the advice. Makes sense.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom