Why No Alarm??? | The Boneyard

Why No Alarm???

Reaction Score
I dunno, but in light of Rule 1, this new agreement seems awfully likely to kill UConn FB as we know it. Yet no one is alarmed?? Paying athletes with the institutions own funds in addition to NIL? Given that the UConn AD is one of the most heavily subsidized in the country that perennially runs a deficit, are we not talking about a HUGE increase in subsidy to stay in the game? Intuitively it just seems like a death knell, and perhaps designed to be so. Comments?

Reaction Score
I'd assume this will ultimately lead into a consolidation of the P2/4 into a new subdivision (if not a full on new division), with the G5 (most of whom are in similar shape to UConn) splitting off officially into its own championship; I wouldn't be shocked if ultimately the G5 subdivision merges with most (or at least the biggest) of current FCS. If the school is providing NIL directly, the collectives ultimately can still be the fundraising arm that funnels the money into the school for distribution.

There are also more stringent rules in proving the deal is legit NIL, rather than cash for playing.. so that will be interesting to see what those regulations are.

Reaction Score
Speaking for myself, I simply don't care anymore. I can watch the best players in the world play on Sundays. Why do I want to see a lesser version of professional football on Saturday? To say nothing of the fact that as currently constituted, the college programs with access to the most funding will attract and retain the best talent - probably about 20 programs. No appeal to me.

Reaction Score
I dunno, but in light of Rule 1, this new agreement seems awfully likely to kill UConn FB as we know it. Yet no one is alarmed?? Paying athletes with the institutions own funds in addition to NIL? Given that the UConn AD is one of the most heavily subsidized in the country that perennially runs a deficit, are we not talking about a HUGE increase in subsidy to stay in the game? Intuitively it just seems like a death knell, and perhaps designed to be so. Comments?

What can we do about it except complain repeatedly here on Boneyard? We are exhausted.

It is what it is, and honestly, at this point, I would be willing to bet that there are a fair number of people here who would rather the split happen and "be left behind" because at least it will look and feel like college football again and the annoying dragged-out drama would be over. Count me as one of them. We already have the NFL.

Reaction Score
I'd assume this will ultimately lead into a consolidation of the P2/4 into a new subdivision (if not a full on new division), with the G5 (most of whom are in similar shape to UConn) splitting off officially into its own championship; I wouldn't be shocked if ultimately the G5 subdivision merges with most (or at least the biggest) of current FCS. If the school is providing NIL directly, the collectives ultimately can still be the fundraising arm that funnels the money into the school for distribution.

There are also more stringent rules in proving the deal is legit NIL, rather than cash for playing.. so that will be interesting to see what those regulations are.
Based on what you describe, i think UConn is ahead of the game in this regard. The Bleeding Blue for Good, has the kids do a lot of volunteer stuff.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
What can we do about it except complain repeatedly here on Boneyard? We are exhausted.

It is what it is, and honestly, at this point, I would be willing to bet that there are a fair number of people here who would rather the split happen and "be left behind" because at least it will look and feel like college football again and the annoying dragged-out drama would be over. Count me as one of them. We already have the NFL.
Exactly. I’ve felt for a while that the whole pretense of scholar athlete should be dropped and just let schools that want to, just sponsor a team and sign players to a contract. If the players want to go to college at the school they are playing for, apply. Between expansion, consolidation, NIL and unrestricted free agency, it’s a pretty shabby excuse for college sports. If people like it or just feel that’s just how it is, fine. The schools not invited to the main show are just the temporary stop for kids who think they have shown enough to transfer up. Different strokes for different folks.

Reaction Score
Conference Realignment has been fascinatingly crazy(and depressing if u r a UConn fan). My favorite part of the FB dept of the boneyard is reading the analysis by the real Football folks here. Guys that have played and coached, breaking down and analyzing the coulda shoulda wouldas of the games, like the awesome armchair QB's that they are. Their passion for the sport and for UConn is awesome. A great regional conference, with a more or less even playing field would be entertaining and refreshing. Chasing the SEC, Big 12 and the ACC has lost its luster as pointed out by the previous posters.

What of Basketball is the only question.

Reaction Score

I would not want UConn to be left behind. UConn should be with the major players. I hope that UConn has been lobbying Big 12 schools since the last rejection to get in.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Exhaustion.... that is all.

Until that new BE media extension is announced, I remain foolishly optimistic that something good will happen for UConn beforehand.

Anywho, got a great 2024 season almost upon us. Let's play that out and go from there.

Reaction Score
I would not want UConn to be left behind. UConn should be with the major players. I hope that UConn has been lobbying Big 12 schools since the last rejection to get in.
The month of June is almost upon us. All seems to be quiet.

Reaction Score
Revenue sharing is going to have a sizable impact on many schools, including schools in the P2 and it will certainly impact the ACC and Big 12 schools as well as the G5. I've included a tweet on spending by school and you can make your own conclusions about who can afford to pay athletes. For example, if Syracuse is spending ~$27 million per year on football, and they are making $30 million from the ACC media contract, how much are they going to pay players? The ACC media contract is ~$30 million per year and 20% of $30 million is $6 million. Can UConn afford to pay $6 million per year to players to keep up with the ACC? I would think so and I think UConn will match the pay from the P2 to basketball players as well.

CBS Sports had an article about this issue and it said that all colleges have administrative bloat in the athletic department that could be cut to help pay players. They cited Ohio St's AD which has 139 AD employees with salaries >$100k per year. Think executive, associate, assistant, deputy, senior... administrators. UConn's AD is very bloated and it looks like you shouldn't need as many compliance people going forward.

https://twitter.com/TJAltimore/status/1791470949746848202?ref_src=twsrc^tfw|twcamp^tweetembed|twterm^1791470949746848202|twgr^|twcon^s1_&ref_url=

Reaction Score

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
this new agreement seems awfully likely to kill UConn FB as we know it. Yet no one is alarmed?
The writing's been on the wall for a while for people to be alarmed. Who knows there may be some miracle that allows us to dodge the bullet, but it seems unlikely.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Please don't take this the wrong way Tuthill but I'm not sure crying, complaining or any other demonstrative reaction (which I'm guessing is what you are looking for) would accomplish much.

I imagine quietly paying attention and then responding once the school does something pertaining to this is the best way to handle it at the moment.

DCT

Reaction Score
Our first child was born Sep 1980. We were at Memorial Stadium 2 weeks later with the baby to watch a Yankee Conference football game. Div 2 football was great we enjoyed it very much and went to many games. I don't live in CT anymore but if they did go FCS and I lived there we would go to many games. Competive games are the best.

Reaction Score
Please don't take this the wrong way Tuthill but I'm not sure crying, complaining or any other demonstrative reaction (which I'm guessing is what you are looking for) would accomplish much.

I imagine quietly paying attention and then responding once the school does something pertaining to this is the best way to handle it at the moment.
Wasn't looking for anything in particular. Just some intelligent discussion. Thanks for your input.

Reaction Score
Our first child was born Sep 1980. We were at Memorial Stadium 2 weeks later with the baby to watch a Yankee Conference football game. Div 2 football was great we enjoyed it very much and went to many games. I don't live in CT anymore but if they did go FCS and I lived there we would go to many games. Competive games are the best.
College football is still college football on a crisp fall day. On campus in a smaller stadium, it’s perhaps even better. UConn athletics has proven that it will have a decent fan base regardless of division. Does big-time football bring in the bandwagon people wearing every color but blue and white about 30 minutes late from their tailgate festivities during a primetime game? Sure. But I'd rather discuss and watch UConn football, which I don't think is going away, with other passionate UConn football brethren.

Also, UConn has husky vision and would still air games. The announcers would promise to be just as bad as CBSSPORTS and we would still have plenty to bicker at each other about on here.

Reaction Score
College football is still college football on a crisp fall day. On campus in a smaller stadium, it’s perhaps even better. UConn athletics has proven that it will have a decent fan base regardless of division. Does big-time football bring in the bandwagon people wearing every color but blue and white about 30 minutes late from their tailgate festivities during a primetime game? Sure. But I'd rather discuss and watch UConn football, which I don't think is going away, with other passionate UConn football brethren.

Also, UConn has husky vision and would still air games. The announcers would promise to be just as bad as CBSSPORTS and we would still have plenty to bicker at each other about on here.
Please don’t get me wrong, atmosphere and winning was great when Rentschler was packed but there is more to the game.

I’ve been going to games since back at Memorial Stadium. My fondest memories are playing catch with my father in the grass parking lot where Gampel is now and the lady who brought me a Sugar Daddy to every home game. These were not dependent on the division or teams played and wouldn’t trade them for anything.

Looking forward to 24 season.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
UConn athletics has proven that it will have a decent fan base regardless of division.
Has it though? After a decade of suck, football fans have gotten a little thin. I absolutely believe it could come back if we went on a run, but I'm not sure that happens if we get relegated to the minors.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
macklin

Top Bottom