Why does DHam get way more leash Than JA/others? | The Boneyard

Why does DHam get way more leash Than JA/others?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
He is a great talent but gets blown by all the time, has more sloppy turnovers than any Husky I ever remember, yet he rarely sees the bench for all this lack of effort/boneheaded turnovers.

I was at the UCF game and it seemed like the only positive plays they had all night were blow bys of DHam and his turnovers jump starting their offense. In contrast, when Shonn Miller had a turnover, he was hot like fire and went and got the ball back or showed fire and then proceeded to get the next five rebounds.

I remember the Jimmy Johnson axiom about treating stars different but to me DHam, while probably most talented guy but nowhere in stratosphere of UConn greats and not that appreciably more talented (and certainly not better at this juncture) than Shonn.

This has bothered me all year, DHam could be great and we all want him to be but is so mentally defeated all the time. Is it KO has to walk on eggshells around him?

Agree with all the posts re Jalen, kid is an alpha dog, want more of him in there!

Reaction Score
Everyone except Adams seems to get way more leash. Gibbs and Purvis can be very frustrating at times, but the rookie, Adams, who has the least experience and is playing the toughest position gets the death penalty for his mistakes. Calhoun would have pulled him, delivered his message, then put him back in.

Adams is the only real PG we have on this team, it's just poor coaching, IMO, to penalize him so harshly for his mistakes.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
Everyone except Adams seems to get way more leash. Gibbs and Purvis can be very frustrating at times, but the rookie, Adams, who has the least experience and is playing the toughest position gets the death penalty for his mistakes. Calhoun would have pulled him, delivered his message, then put him back in.

Adams is the only real PG we have on this team, it's just poor coaching, IMO, to penalize him so harshly for his mistakes.
Agreed. Lesson learned. When purvis does his usual three minute spurt then disappears adams needs to come back in. Gibbs shouldnt run the offense unless adams and hamilton are out

Reaction Score

What were his mistakes?

Reaction Score
Gibbs shouldnt run the offense unless adams and hamilton are out
I agree with the 1st half of that sentence, but not the 2nd. The season is winding to a close now and Gibbs hasn't shown much ability beyond being a spot up shooter. I'd rather have Omar with the ball at the top of the key looking for a driving lane.

Reaction Score

Good point. Although I cannot believe some of the turnovers DHam has. Seems like Purvis does get pulled when he plays poorly pretty quickly. But def agree on Gibbs.

Had a thought. I recently started coaching youth basketball since I have kids and was a point guard many moons ago (albeit lousy one), I am definitely more focused on my point guard than anyone else since I was one and think it is the most important position. I wonder if KO does that in spades since he was a cerebral point and he's in his mind pushing Jalen to greatness. But who knows as seems like Rique would be the guy next year with Jalen as 2nd PG.

Reaction Score
He is a great talent but gets blown by all the time, has more sloppy turnovers than any Husky I ever remember, yet he rarely sees the bench for all this lack of effort/boneheaded turnovers.

I was at the UCF game and it seemed like the only positive plays they had all night were blow bys of DHam and his turnovers jump starting their offense. In contrast, when Shonn Miller had a turnover, he was hot like fire and went and got the ball back or showed fire and then proceeded to get the next five rebounds.

I remember the Jimmy Johnson axiom about treating stars different but to me DHam, while probably most talented guy but nowhere in stratosphere of UConn greats and not that appreciably more talented (and certainly not better at this juncture) than Shonn.

This has bothered me all year, DHam could be great and we all want him to be but is so mentally defeated all the time. Is it KO has to walk on eggshells around him?

Agree with all the posts re Jalen, kid is an alpha dog, want more of him in there!

Even when he's playing bad, he does things that other players on our team don't have the capability to do.

1. Rebound well
2. Pass with vision
3. be a wing(seriously, we only have him and calhoun between 6'4-6'9.

Reaction Score
4-12 and 1-5

This no longer an outlier statistically, this is his new norm. He needs to keep that 3 point shot in his pocket, until he finds his mid range stroke. No way he should be getting 12 shots a game shooting like this.

Reaction Score
JC would have chewed out DHam all the way to a UCLA transfer.
Not even Calhoun would've chewed him out that bad.. He's our man cog..

Bottom line: we can't be falling for the ole "OKIE DOKE" from Temple, which has happened 2TIMES this year now, being up late in the game only to faulter on the offensive end.

When we were up double digits with around 7 minutes left Shonn Miller SHOULD NOT be taking 3 point shots.. He** no! WTF are you doing? That was a wasted offensive possession.. This team has kicked our a**es 4 times in a row now(????) and instead of understanding this along with the fact that you have a substantial lead on the road, pace of the game, time remaining, you take t shots????

Also, that halfcourt stagnant offense that we run when the games are close SUCKS... we gotta figure out a way to AT LEAST get the ball inside to our bigs, close enough where they can at least try and draw foul and get to the line for some free-bees... Instead, what do we do? Run the clock down to almost 0, take a dumb-a** contested 15-20 foot shot, with NO rebounders... End result... Temple, a team that just doesn't turn the ball over (AND WE ALREADY KNOW THIS ABOUT THEM) converts on their end.

Sorry guys, just a little frustrated...

This team has a real shot at "Shocking the World" once again, but it has to get out of the way of itself right now... IF (big IF, right now) we can somehow STOP being FOOLISH on offense with a late lead, utilize our ball handling guards and interior players better in a half court set, when we get cold ( and we will get cold, every game it happens this year ) from the outside, we still got a shot at this..

Reaction Score

Jalen has a higher turnover rate than DHam and he cannot shoot the ball from anywhere outside 4 feet from the hoop. He may be your "alpha" dog but he is extremely limited right now.

DHam leads our team in rebounds, assists, steals, and the offense clearly runs more efficiently when he is on the floor.

It is not hard to see why he has the longest leash, and he should.

Reaction Score
i hope im wrong. but i think i am seeing Gibbs as a needed piece for his shooting but his bb IQ is low and i believe he is not running what he is being told to run. in short, i think he is a bad teamate to play with and i am starting to see why he transfered so many times. he seems hard headed.

Reaction Score
What was he penalized for last night? Oh, that's right, you have absolutely no idea but something happened between the end of the first half and the beginning of the second that led to his being benched.

I don't know why people keeping saying that Jalen was benched for some on-court mistake, when no signs point to that.

Reaction Score
Good question. I'm not certain, but surely they were less grievous and lest frequent than Purvis' and Gibbs'.
Don't you find it odd that you admit you have no idea what he did, yet know he was punished too severely, and know whatever he did was less bad than Purvis or Gibbs?

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
in short, i think he is a bad teamate to play with and i am starting to see why he transfered so many times. he seems hard headed.

Nice hot take, guy.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
When someone else on this team gets as many double doubles and rebounds and assists then that guy can have a longer leash.
JA hasn't done enough to deserve to be at DHam's level. Obviously JA isn't KEA - not yet
Its easy to bash DHam because he is the one guy on the team that isn't afraid to have the ball in his hand or fight for a rebound so he is involved ch in nearly every play. I'm sure he would love someone else to accept some visability.
DHam is not without faults but at least in my mind, he's the one who wants to play ball with conviction and energy.
Don't know if he plays at the next level nor do I really care, I just think about where the team would be without his rebounding and other efforts

Reaction Score
Don't you find it odd that you admit you have no idea what he did, yet know he was punished too severely, and know whatever he did was less bad than Purvis or Gibbs?

No I don't; knowledge has never been a prerequisite to posting on this forum.

BUConn10

Artist formerly known as BUHusky10
Reaction Score
NBA mentality. The Stars always have a different set of standards than the role players. The interesting thing here is that I don't necessarily disagree with that, it's just the rest of the team is poorly managed.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
It does seem DHam & Gibbs are always in at crunch time. While Gibbs has had some bad end games, he has also bailed us out a few times. I can't think of games that DHam has won for us in the last minutes.
But the answer to the OP's question is, Hamilton rebounds. And that is a weakness for our centers.

Reaction Score
But the answer to the OP's question is, Hamilton rebounds. And that is a weakness for our centers.
Exactly. We're 5th in the conference in rebounding margim, and this guy, as a 6' 7'' small forward, leads the conference in rebounding. Whenever he does something wrong on offense, there is a good chance we wouldn't have had the ball anyway if not for him.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
JC would have chewed out DHam all the way to a UCLA transfer.
thats what Ollie is scared of... got him way on the East Coast so he gotta be nice to him

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom