Why do Minnesota and Oregon produce so many great players? | The Boneyard

Why do Minnesota and Oregon produce so many great players?

Reaction Score
Reminded of this from the conversation about South Carolina HS basketball in the Joyce Edwards thread, but Minnesota's elite talent is incredible while Oregon consistently has multiple top 30 HS teams. Neither state is a hotbed of talent in any other high-profile national sport. (No, hockey doesn't count :p)

Can someone more familiar with those states try to help me understand how they do it?

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
I don't know about Minnesota, but I think Oregon is cyclical. They have certainly had some top level talent at times, but I don't think it's an every year kind of situation.

Reaction Score
As a Minnesotan, I always thought that other states produced better players, especially in the South. I never thought that we (Minnesota) stood out more, except for hockey. For basketball, we would travel to Chicago and Detroit back in the day, to test our skills. Chicago and Detroit had some ballers. Same with Indiana and Ohio. Maybe it is our Midwest vibes :)

With me coaching high school basketball, now in my 24th year, developing feeder systems has been the thing for the last 10 years. Most high schools in the Minnesota work with their local middle and elementary schools and we are pretty cool with local AAU teams. Heck most of us coaches work with AAU teams over the summer, North Tartan here. But I don't think that we do anything different than other states.

Reaction Score
Reminded of this from the conversation about South Carolina HS basketball in the Joyce Edwards thread, but Minnesota's elite talent is incredible while Oregon consistently has multiple top 30 HS teams. Neither state is a hotbed of talent in any other high-profile national sport. (No, hockey doesn't count :p)

Can someone more familiar with those states try to help me understand how they do it?

Why doesn't hockey count????? If that was said north of the border, you may be brought up on charges for treason! ;)

Reaction Score
I'm a South Carolinian. I already said it north of the border! :D

As a Canadian, I need you to define your version of "north of the border". You're missing out on some great multi-sport athletes when you take hockey out of the picture, especially if you want some toughness :)

Reaction Score
As a Canadian, I need you to define your version of "north of the border". You're missing out on some great multi-sport athletes when you take hockey out of the picture, especially if you want some toughness :)
Even made a map! ;)

Edited - I'm so mad I didn't think of A'ja lives here! and then think of another name for NYC

Attachments

• moon.jpg
    moon.jpg
    50.3 KB · Views: 101
Last edited:
Reaction Score
Even made a map! ;)

Edited - I'm so mad I didn't think of A'ja lives here! and then think of another name for NYC

This explains EVERYTHING! . You know maps like this doesn't help debunk the myth Canadians have about Americans and North American geography ;)

Reaction Score
Minnesota really is a hotbed for WBB it seems, at least for his population. A lot of that is driven by Hopkins. Insane program.

Bueckers, Maya Nnaji (Arizona), Amaya Battle (Minnesota), Taylor Woodson (Michigan), Nunu Agara (Stanford), Liv McGill (Florida commit), Ava Cupito (elite 2027 prospect), handful of other D1 players in the last decade or so. All from one public HS.

There's certainly a ton of talent there still with Aaliyah Crump, Olivia Olsen, McGill, Maddyn Greenway, etc.

Mara Braun was bigtime and stayed home. Jenna Johnson and Gianna Kneepkens have had great careers at Utah.

A lot of talent in the surrounding states as well for not being as populated. Iowa, Wisconsin... good HS hoops in those states.

Reaction Score
Minnesota really is a hotbed for WBB it seems, at least for his population. A lot of that is driven by Hopkins. Insane program.

Bueckers, Maya Nnaji (Arizona), Amaya Battle (Minnesota), Taylor Woodson (Michigan), Nunu Agara (Stanford), Liv McGill (Florida commit), Ava Cupito (elite 2027 prospect), handful of other D1 players in the last decade or so. All from one public HS.

There's certainly a ton of talent there still with Aaliyah Crump, Olivia Olsen, McGill, Maddyn Greenway, etc.

Mara Braun was bigtime and stayed home. Jenna Johnson and Gianna Kneepkens have had great careers at Utah.

A lot of talent in the surrounding states as well for not being as populated. Iowa, Wisconsin... good HS hoops in those states.
Well, we Gamecocks love our freshman Minnesota guard, Tessa Johnson, who is an excellent shooting guard and a solid part of our 9player rotation. She’s a player getting real minutes - not just mop up duty. She was recruited as a shooter but is starting to show some solid defensive skills

Reaction Score
This explains EVERYTHING! . You know maps like this doesn't help debunk the myth Canadians have about Americans and North American geography ;)
Oh, I know all about Canada! Read a very informative article when I was a kid and took it to heart.

Reaction Score
Oh, I know all about Canada! Read a very informative article when I was a kid and took it to heart.

Gotta love The Onion.

Reaction Score
Well, we Gamecocks love our freshman Minnesota guard, Tessa Johnson, who is an excellent shooting guard and a solid part of our 9player rotation. She’s a player getting real minutes - not just mop up duty. She was recruited as a shooter but is starting to show some solid defensive skills

Yes, completely forgot about her, but another great player from MN

Reaction Score
Oregon gets great players in every sport because of their relationship with NIKE. I never post on the Woman's board but you guys should know this.

Reaction Score
The weather is cold so more indoor exercise, special basketball.
Not only cold but the cold season is so long. It can be cold from Labor day to Memorial Day. I lived there for 5 years and said...I once took a nap in June and missed summer.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Oregon gets great players in every sport because of their relationship with NIKE. I never post on the Woman's board but you guys should know this.
Not talking about college recruiting, but high school talent that comes out of the two states.

Reaction Score
From the State of Oregon:

Stanford: Katy Steding, Jillian Harmon, Lindsey Yamasaki, Trisha Stevens, Kailee Johnson, Tara Harrington

Tennessee: Mercedes Russell, Jaime Nared, Evina Westbrook, Jordan Reynolds

Louisville: Shoni Schimmel

Oregon: Brianne Meharry, Liz Brenner

Colorado: Aronnette Vonleh

Oregon State: Katie McWilliams, Donovyn Hunter (current Freshman PAC-12 Player of the week)

Reaction Score

Think you're missing the point of the thread. It's about athletes hailing from the state, not the programs they chose to play for.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
This thread is making me think about Washington. While more heavily populated than Oregon, still not a real big population. I would think you could come up with a similar list. I was thinking the same for OR, but WA has definitely been cyclical with the amount of talent it produces.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom