Why didn't UConn recruit Xavier's Desmond Claude? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Why didn't UConn recruit Xavier's Desmond Claude?

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
Don't look now folks but Claude is kicking ass in Creighton. He has 18 points in the first half and he is working the pick and roll masterfully and getting downhill with ease.

This game on Sunday is not going to be easy.

Reaction Score
I hope we’re recruiting Claude now. I love him.

Sanogo was a below the rim beast coming in. The only question was if the lack of hops would hurt him. Most thought he’d be a college beast and a euro pro.

Reaction Score
Sanago was not a project, he was a top 40 recruit and reclassified is my recollection. Was a stud from the beginning
But the guy Rutgers got was was more highly rated, and IIRC we went after him first.

Reaction Score
This game on Sunday is not going to be easy.
Yes it will be difficult. Hopefully Clingan works himself into game shape with the week off because Xavier will force the pace of the game.Xavier has won 3 in a row and the last time they lost was when they played UConn at the Cintas Center.

caw

Reaction Score
But the guy Rutgers got was was more highly rated, and IIRC we went after him first.
I want to say we were on both but Sanogo was still not reclassified when Cliff committed. I could be wrong

Reaction Score

formerlurker

www.stjude.org
Reaction Score
Yes it will be difficult. Hopefully Clingan works himself into game shape with the week off because Xavier will force the pace of the game.Xavier has won 3 in a row and the last time they lost was when they played UConn at the Cintas Center.
3 in a row? Wow

Reaction Score
Sanogo was ranked 49th in the 2021 class and when he committed to UConn and reclassed to 2020 they dropped him.
Ah, thanks. Seems kind of strange they would drop him so much unless the 2020 class was so much better than the 2021 class. Maybe the age? But he was in the right class going in 2020 (he turned 18 on 2/12/20 just like most freshman who turn 18 before entering college).

Reaction Score
Don't look now folks but Claude is kicking ass in Creighton. He has 18 points in the first half and he is working the pick and roll masterfully and getting downhill with ease.

Close to a donut in the second half.

Reaction Score
Reaction Score
Close to a donut in the second half.
Yeah he only had 2 points in the 2nd half. Basically him and Scheierman, who was guarding him the whole game, performed in opposite halves. Scheierman only had 5 points in the first half and missed a bunch of shots will getting torched by Claude or getting lost on the pick and roll action. In the 2nd half he had 14 points, including the big 3 pointer that gave Creighton some breathing room under 2 minutes.

Reaction Score
Sanogo was ranked 49th in the 2021 class and when he committed to UConn and reclassed to 2020 they dropped him.
I believe he was higher in his own class during his junior year. He had a lot of write ups about being a top player in his own class before he reclassified. Unfortunately if you go to his 247 page it only shows his history in the 2020 class. Everyone I remember, including Hurley was thrilled when the commitment came through. Wasn’t that the climbing to the top of the mountain tweet?

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score

Missed every shot in the second half, like 0-10

We got our people

Honestly wouldn't change a thing

Reaction Score
I remember quite vividly some details of Sanogo/Cliff recruitment - as I was super concerned about finding a big after we seemed to put a lot of eggs in Kofi basket the year before and whiffed at the secondary guys. (Wahab, maybe Iglehorn?)

Cliff def committed before Sanogo was reclassified annd/or linked to us and I couldn’t believe a sh#tbag program like Buttgers could beat us now that we had a competent coach.

**BUT, we def had some Boneyard scouts (I feel like smart, reputable ones I’ve seen post before a la @husky429) talking about how they saw Sanogo absolutely shred Cliff in person (I feel like more than once) and that Sanogo was that stud big that was a bit undersized for the pros but was so skilled offensively and would dominate. college. Still had a bit of Ollie PTSD at all the 6’7 or 6’8 beefy guys from the Tulsas of the world that dominated those teams so felt quite a bit better about it.

Also, I Remember from the videos u could see how adept Sanogo was around the hoop with either hand and had that college-ready body.

Reaction Score
**BUT, we def had some Boneyard scouts (I feel like smart, reputable ones I’ve seen post before a la @husky429) talking about how they saw Sanogo absolutely shred Cliff in person (I feel like more than once) and that Sanogo was that stud big that was a bit undersized for the pros but was so skilled offensively and would dominate. college.

Yup Cliff was longer and more athletic but Sanogo actually put up #s in a tough hs league. Cliff didn't.

Both are great players, we didn't mis-scout anyone. Cliff has averaged a near double-double twice. Nothing toxturn your nose up at. Sanogo was just better.

Reaction Score
Missed every shot in the second half, like 0-10

We got our people

Honestly wouldn't change a thing
UConn is just fine for sure, but I wouldn't mind having Claude. With Hurley and his staff they would maximize his potential. Miller and his staff at Xavier are doing a good job with Claude.

Reaction Score
Sanogo was ranked in the 50s
Thanks. But my point still stands. The prevailing thought here was we missed and settled. When he got here and even in his first year expectations for him were not high.

Reaction Score
Thanks. But my point still stands. The prevailing thought here was we missed and settled. When he got here and even in his first year expectations for him were not high.
That's not how I remember it. The board was stoked we got Sanogo and people loved him as a freshman.

Reaction Score
That's not how I remember it. The board was stoked we got Sanogo and people loved him as a freshman.
Yes. People like him and he proved himself as a freshmen but the expectations were he would be a solid guy for 4 years and not the beast he became. But i remember clearly people being bummed we missed on O and were happy we got Sanogo but the level of excitement was far less. It was not some huge get that people thought would change the program. Anyone claiming that is lying. I remember.

Reaction Score
Yes. People like him and he proved himself as a freshmen but the expectations were he would be a solid guy for 4 years and not the beast he became. But i remember clearly people being bummed we missed on O and were happy we got Sanogo but the level of excitement was far less. It was not some huge get that people thought would change the program. Anyone claiming that is lying. I remember.
No, they weren't actually. In fact you said this when he committed

IMG_6364.jpeg

Reaction Score
I believe he was higher in his own class during his junior year. He had a lot of write ups about being a top player in his own class before he reclassified. Unfortunately if you go to his 247 page it only shows his history in the 2020 class. Everyone I remember, including Hurley was thrilled when the commitment came through. Wasn’t that the climbing to the top of the mountain tweet?
He was top 40 in espn junior ranking. Similar situation to shabazz who was 60 ish in junior rankings.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom