Why are we playing weeknight XL Center games while school is in session? | The Boneyard

Why are we playing weeknight XL Center games while school is in session?

CV1

Reaction Score
Mind boggling dumb move to schedule this game at the XL Center. It was like a neutral court tonight.
I agree. I was there and was embarrassed. Except for a few times during the 2nd half when the crowd was really juiced, it was the usual XL crowd sitting in their seats and barely cheering. A buddy of mine said Bill Raftery even made a dig at the crowd saying oh I finally I hear a home crowd in the 2nd half. People were rushing for the exits when we were down 2 with a minute to go

Reaction Score
The home schedule this year stinks in general. Wish there were more weekend games and not these random time midweek but alas.
I was also shocked when the schedule came out to see how few weekend home games we had once conference play started.

Reaction Score
What is the crowd supposed to do when we play a frustrating game like that? When we went on little runs and had momentum, the crowd was into it. When we stunk, they weren’t. Unfortunately we stunk a lot tonight, so that was reflected by the crowd.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
I agree. I was there and was embarrassed. Except for a few times during the 2nd half when the crowd was really juiced, it was the usual XL crowd sitting in their seats and barely cheering. A buddy of mine said Bill Raftery even made a dig at the crowd saying oh I finally I hear a home crowd in the 2nd half. People were rushing for the exits when we were down 2 with a minute to go
Uh I was there too and there was literally nothing to cheer about for 35 minutes of game time.

Reaction Score
2 mins before tip off row after row in the lower section were empty. Entire game upper levels behind both baskets were completely empty.

UConn has a marketing problem.

CV1

Reaction Score
Uh I was there too and there was literally nothing to cheer about for 35 minutes of game time.
I should clarify and agree that there was nothing to cheer about in the 1st half. Further confirmed by the stats that we were getting outrebounded by 10. Considering we are one of the top rebounding teams in the country, I’d agree can’t cheer on that effort. The boys grinded it out in the 2nd half and it would have been great to get the home crowd behind them on defense. The game was hanging in the balance and the crowd was so quiet.

Reaction Score
Not sure if this post is saying that's why we lost? Lol. This was still a home game in Connecticut and we lost because of our poor play. This was a bad loss

UconnU

If he blocks 100, he blocks 100
Reaction Score
This is a real problem for the program. We need to sell tickets. If we can’t sell tickets for our 17th ranked team on a 5 game win streak than we won’t ever be able to sell tickets.

Reaction Score
This is a real problem for the program. We need to sell tickets. If we can’t sell tickets for our 17th ranked team on a 5 game win streak than we won’t ever be able to sell tickets.
Are you new to UConn basketball?

Reaction Score
Really unfortunate so far we've played 2 Big East gampel games at 8:30 against 2 of the bottom feeders of the conference while the students were on break, then play a good Big East team right after the students get back in Hartford. We don't have much control over the times I don't think but we do have control over that.

Reaction Score
What is the crowd supposed to do when we play a frustrating game like that? When we went on little runs and had momentum, the crowd was into it. When we stunk, they weren’t. Unfortunately we stunk a lot tonight, so that was reflected by the crowd.
On tv, the place looked half empty in the first half. The place sounded like a monastery in the first half.

Second half has improved sound and attendance, at least from the tv perspective.

Yes, Rafftery made the comment about "finally feels like a home game" in the second half.

Reaction Score
I think people struggle to get to the 6:30 games on time.
That shouldn't be as big a problem.in Hartford. Lol they had trouble getting to 7pm starts for years. As far as leaving early that's another UConn trend. I always advocated making lower seat season tickets holders be moved to the upper section for the rest of the season if they left early, esp in a winnable game and their tickets be given to fans who stayed to the end.
I remember games that were close, went to OT when half the crowd had already left - happened in XL and Gampel. No excuse.

Reaction Score
The home schedule this year stinks in general. Wish there were more weekend games and not these random time midweek but alas.
This is what happens when you play on National instead of regional tv. The games get scheduled to suit their needs, not the teams, but it effects everybody. Oh and $$$

Reaction Score
2 more Tuesday games at XL. I expect a similar environment to last night when we play Marquette next week, and a good crowd 2/22 vs Nova.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Mind boggling dumb move to schedule this game at the XL Center. It was like a neutral court tonight.

Because people work in Hartford and not in Storrs. Has always been this way. It's the weekend games they play in Gampel because people can make the drive.

Reaction Score
2 more Tuesday games at XL. I expect a similar environment to last night when we play Marquette next week, and a good crowd 2/22 vs Nova.
The bandwagon might be completely empty by the time 'Nova comes to town :(

Reaction Score
The place sounded like a monastery in the first half. Second half has improved sound and attendance, at least from the tv perspective. Yes, Rafftery made the comment about "finally feels like a home game" in the second half.
1H vs 2H: Imagine that, somewhat improved quality of UConn play mattered. /s

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom