OT: - Who is your Tourney Kryptonite? | The Boneyard

OT: Who is your Tourney Kryptonite?

Reaction Score
With the tourney on the horizon, and with a good deal of confidence that we are a lock for entry, my thoughts turn to the other teams and how they have fared. Uconn has always been very, very successful in the tourney and is always a good bracket bet. But there are those teams that always show their face and just never seem to pan out. They are enticing for one reason or other and you always seem to gravitate towards advancing them in your bracket but it always ends in early disappointment. The 3 teams that I always seem to ride to at least the elite 8 are Marquette (as well as most big east teams to be honest) OK. State and Utah State (always my 12-5) and they always disappoint. What teams do you always love, year after year, only to be busted in the end??

Reaction Score
Recently I'm going Michigan State. I picked them to win it all in both 2016 and 2018 and both times they flamed out way too early.

Year over year I'm going Kansas. How many times have they been the #1 overall seed under Self and only one championship to show for it (where they were bailed out by Memphis bricking FTs down the stretch).

Reaction Score
Kansas for me as well.

Also, I fall in love with those 26-2 small conference teams like Santa Clara or Florida-Gulf Coast and I've never seen a single minute of any game and can't name a player on their roster.

Reaction Score
Kansas for me as well.

Also, I fall in love with those 26-2 small conference teams like Santa Clara or Florida-Gulf Coast and I've never seen a single minute of any game and can't name a player on their roster.
Hilarious. Me too. And I act like I've scouted them all year when my friends ask for my help in brackets. I'm not proud of it

QDOG5

I dont have a drug problem I have a police problem
Reaction Score
I stay away from low scoring teams for the most part. When I'm bidding on teams in a NCAA tourney Calcutta margin of victory is one of my favorite statistics. In a Calcutta you get paid a percentage share of the pot every time one of your teams win. Teams that win by a large margin during the regular season tend not to get upset in the early rounds. UConn in 04', Kansas in '08, NCar in '09 all led the nation in MOV in the years they won the title. Whereas a team like Virginia have a greater chance of an upset because they are a low scoring team. Caveat, the MOV has not been as good in predicting the Champion recently but still works well getting through the first weekend.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Taking Syracuse to lose in the first round. Pluck, grit and an over reliance on the 2-3 zone carries that crappy team to wins in the post season that they don’t deserve.

Fortunately I, in all likelihood, won’t get sucked into it this year.

Reaction Score
Taking Syracuse to lose in the first round. Pluck, grit and an overalliance on the 2-3 zone carries that crappy team to wins in the post season.

Fortunately I, in all likelihood, won’t get sucked into it this year.
Tough to get sucked into it when they won't make the tourney.

***Disclaimer: If Syracuse makes the tourney I will take full responsibility for their success

Reaction Score
Vanderbilt.

10-15 years ago they were routinely a #4 or 5 seed and got upset in the first round 3 times.

1644518043056.png

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Tough to get sucked into it when they won't make the tourney.
exactly. Still those slippery little cockroaches seem to find a way, don’t they?

Reaction Score
Referees - More specifically, over-officious jerks who have the power to send Sanogo to the bench for long stretches because of foul trouble.

Reaction Score
Not mine personally but I’m sure “any Jamie Dixon coached Pitt team” would be the answer for many.
Could always tell which of my friends weren't fans of Big East teams as soon as they'd pick those Pitt teams to make deeps runs.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
My kryptonite is the seeds. I often look at the field and see a lot of parity (this year especially) and then the seeds come out and I start considering the seeds when I shouldn't. I really need to block them out.

Reaction Score
Upper classman, size, depth, teams with at least two quality scorers, quality season wins, a solid head coach. I used to track all of that, now I just mainly watch and just fill out a bracket based only on emotion.

It's March madness and trends don't matter as much as heart. If Uconn doesn't advance, then I want the craziest things to happen.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rawdawg35

Top Bottom