Who is playing best basketball in Final Four? | The Boneyard

Who is playing best basketball in Final Four?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I'll go with Maryland - big, aggressive, deep, can shoot.

Reaction Score
If you mean going into the FF, it ain't us babe; no, no, no, it ain't us babe.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Who has done the most with what they have? Maryland. I think they were probably more of a 3 seed than a 4 seed, but their results during the season were solid, but unspectacular. They are probably also playing the most complete 40 minutes that their team is capable of. However, Geno is right - UCONN has the best starting 5 in the nation and even 20-25 minutes of UCONN's best basketball is enough to beat most anyone else who puts in 40 minutes of their best basketball.

I'm hoping that the week of preparation gives everyone the proper perspective and confidence to go out and play their very best in hopefully the next 2 games...

Reaction Score
If you mean going into the FF, it ain't us babe; no, no, no, it ain't us babe.

SON: yup, that IS what I meant...thank you for clarifying that. May and can I push you for your take on which of the other three teams played the best going into FF?

Reaction Score
Who has done the most with what they have? Maryland. I think they were probably more of a 3 seed than a 4 seed, but their results during the season were solid, but unspectacular. They are probably also playing the most complete 40 minutes that their team is capable of. However, Geno is right - UCONN has the best starting 5 in the nation and even 20-25 minutes of UCONN's best basketball is enough to beat most anyone else who puts in 40 minutes of their best basketball.

I'm hoping that the week of preparation gives everyone the proper perspective and confidence to go out and play their very best in hopefully the next 2 games...

ERIC: good thoughts. ANd, obviously, you mean "UCONN" when you say "everyone" in your last sentence. Less obviously, but probably, we should assume your answer to "which team" is the same as your hope, namely UCONN?

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
ERIC: good thoughts. ANd, obviously, you mean "UCONN" when you say "everyone" in your last sentence. Less obviously, but probably, we should assume your answer to "which team" is the same as your hope, namely UCONN?
Yep. I think it's pretty clear Moriah and KML have played outstanding basketball every minute out there. Stef and Kiah have also been very very good. Stewie and Bria have been MIA in the first half of each of the last 2 games. Both got more untracked in the 2nd half, but they are the ones i'm mostly referring to in my "proper perspective" comment.

As I said in the Stanford-UCONN analysis thread, Saniya played 17 minutes and Brianna 8 minutes the first time the teams met way back in November. I do believe they are capable of contributing in the final 4, but I'm not sure they believe it...

Reaction Score
I'll go with Maryland - big, aggressive, deep, can shoot.

Even without Achonwa Notre Dame will beat Maryland by double digits. Loyd and McBride will both carry ND into the final.

Reaction Score
In order from best to worst, in my opinion:

ND
Maryland
Stanford
UConn

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
It is an interesting question - not who will win games but who is playing the best basketball of their year and/or playing to or beyond their talent level.
Before the injury ND I think looked to be playing their best basketball - Natalie was cooking. Now ... we will see. They are definitely capable of winning two games with their talent, but ... how they will play is anyones guess.
Both Stanford and Maryland I think played their best most complete games of the year in the regionals. They may lose the arms race talent wise, but they are playing really really well for the talent they have.
Uconn as we all said faced the easiest regional, and the way the first two rounds came out, we all agreed it got easier. They won the regional games comfortably, but no one feels they were playing their A game in either contest. So of the four teams standing I would say they played the worst based on their talent and did it against weaker opposition.
I still think they are the team to beat and should come out of next weekend with the NC. But they will need to play better or have their opponents not bring their A+ games.

Reaction Score
Compared to their own standards:
Maryland
ND
Stanford
UConn

On an absolute level:
ND
UConn
Maryland
Stanford

Those are in terms of how they played last weekend, not necessarily in terms of how things will go on Sunday. Of course, Achonwa being out changes the equation entirely.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
Let me say UConn plays as a team within a team concept. They play as a unit and not as individual players or a team depending on one or two stars to carry them. UConn plays as a unit and the individual pieces work together for the good of the team. Thats why they win with their top players out, and why they can depend on each other and not one player. This is what puts UConn at a different level then everybody else.

It will be interesting to see how ND does without Achonwa. Will they still be able to operate within their team concept. Everything runs through the post for ND much like UCOnn and now it may have to be different. I cant see two players carrying ND to a NC. Uconn went through that 5 game span against 5 top teams without KML and Tuck. Lets see if ND can do it without Achonwa.

As far as playing the best. MD is playing great but their dependence on Thomas could hurt them. Stanford is playing great too but UConn has shown they can control Chiney. Barring alot of foul calls and injuries UConn has to be a 15+ pt favorite in both games.

Reaction Score
Who cares? The SI cover has been replaced. Breanna is no longer jinxed.

Reaction Score
It really doesn't matter who played great or poorly to date. Four teams have played good enough to get to the Final 4. The question is, which coach can get their team in the right mental frame of mind to finish strong. I think past history shows, and most here know the answer to that question.

Reaction Score
Yep. I think it's pretty clear Moriah and KML have played outstanding basketball every minute out there. Stef and Kiah have also been very very good. Stewie and Bria have been MIA in the first half of each of the last 2 games. Both got more untracked in the 2nd half, but they are the ones i'm mostly referring to in my "proper perspective" comment.

As I said in the Stanford-UCONN analysis thread, Saniya played 17 minutes and Brianna 8 minutes the first time the teams met way back in November. I do believe they are capable of contributing in the final 4, but I'm not sure they believe it...

ERIC: spot on from start to finish as I see it.

Reaction Score
Even without Achonwa Notre Dame will beat Maryland by double digits. Loyd and McBride will both carry ND into the final.

SAWX: for once, I'll be rooting for ND in this game (though I am a fan of their football most years) and hoping that you are correct. Really haven't looked over the MD season as a whole. Sounds like you are not blown away by it. I was just impressed with what I saw the other night from them; they concern me - but do not have good feelings about the team or their coach.

Reaction Score
In order from best to worst, in my opinion:

ND
Maryland
Stanford
UConn

HOOP: concise and sounds about right...thanks for your thoughts

SAWX: for once, I'll be rooting for ND in this game (though I am a fan of their football most years) and hoping that you are correct. Really haven't looked over the MD season as a whole. Sounds like you are not blown away by it. I was just impressed with what I saw the other night from them; they concern me - but do not have good feelings about the team or their coach.

It is an interesting question - not who will win games but who is playing the best basketball of their year and/or playing to or beyond their talent level.
Before the injury ND I think looked to be playing their best basketball - Natalie was cooking. Now ... we will see. They are definitely capable of winning two games with their talent, but ... how they will play is anyones guess.
Both Stanford and Maryland I think played their best most complete games of the year in the regionals. They may lose the arms race talent wise, but they are playing really really well for the talent they have.
Uconn as we all said faced the easiest regional, and the way the first two rounds came out, we all agreed it got easier. They won the regional games comfortably, but no one feels they were playing their A game in either contest. So of the four teams standing I would say they played the worst based on their talent and did it against weaker opposition.
I still think they are the team to beat and should come out of next weekend with the NC. But they will need to play better or have their opponents not bring their A+ games.

UC: again seems spot on to me, but do have one question. In your opening are you saying the you think ND would have won without that injury? Of just could have?

Reaction Score
Compared to their own standards:
Maryland
ND
Stanford
UConn

On an absolute level:
ND
UConn
Maryland
Stanford

Those are in terms of how they played last weekend, not necessarily in terms of how things will go on Sunday. Of course, Achonwa being out changes the equation entirely.

TENS: interesting distinction. Nifty. Provocative (and perhaps you know how much I love that kind of post)

Reaction Score
Let me say UConn plays as a team within a team concept. They play as a unit and not as individual players or a team depending on one or two stars to carry them. UConn plays as a unit and the individual pieces work together for the good of the team. Thats why they win with their top players out, and why they can depend on each other and not one player. This is what puts UConn at a different level then everybody else.

It will be interesting to see how ND does without Achonwa. Will they still be able to operate within their team concept. Everything runs through the post for ND much like UCOnn and now it may have to be different. I cant see two players carrying ND to a NC. Uconn went through that 5 game span against 5 top teams without KML and Tuck. Lets see if ND can do it without Achonwa.

As far as playing the best. MD is playing great but their dependence on Thomas could hurt them. Stanford is playing great too but UConn has shown they can control Chiney. Barring alot of foul calls and injuries UConn has to be a 15+ pt favorite in both games.

ToNY: beautiful as usual. Wow....fifteen plus.....even if I take off five for exhuberance, I am still feeling better...thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom