Who gets on those 10 player AA teams this year? | The Boneyard

Who gets on those 10 player AA teams this year?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
I think to get on the Wall of Honor a UConn player needs to make first team on one of the
10 player teams.

So: who gets on?

I do think on the gal-side some folks are more inclined to 'share' and spread the wealth around regarding awards....so factoring that in a bit:

Chiney...lock
Odyssey...lock
Thomas from Maryland...near-lock
Stewie...lock
Bria...near lock
McBride from ND...lock
Shoni...near lock

who else? Stef? Jewel Loyd? The kids from LadyVol land...Carter...Simmons?
Maggie Lucas?

I suspect I am missing some obvious ones.
Got wisdom?

Reaction Score
I would assume heavy overlap with the 1st/2nd team 5-player lists we've seen so far.

Chiney, Sims, Thomas, McBride/Loyd, Bria/Stewie
And then 3 from Dolson, Hooper, Shoni, possibly Lucas

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
I expect that as is already true with the one ESPN announced AA team that Stef is on the 10 player rosters. Frankly, it is stupidity on a 10 player roster not to include the best 5/C in the country who will likely go in the top three of the WNBA draft as an All American.

sarals24

Lone Starlet
Reaction Score
I think Harrison from UT should be mentioned in the conversation at least...maybe Theriot from Nebraska? Haven't seen her play, but I know she's had a great year.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
Voters are afflicted with a "quota mentality," which dictates a limit to the number of AA players from any single school. For example, had Kaleena not missed so many games (and played to her immense potential), there is no way that voters -- individually or collectively -- would honor four Huskies (Stewie, KML, Bria, and Stef). So her combination of injuries and illness had the positive effect of "locking" her three teammates into many or most ten-player AA teams.

Continuing my theory of "votah-quotah" mentality, Moriah gets locked out this year, the rationale being something like this: "We've already taken care of enough UConn players and, besides, she is only a sophomore so she has two more years to earn our vote(s)."

So I believe that Stewie, Stef and Bria are locks this year and it is reasonable to hope that Kaleena, Stewie and Moriah will be locks next year.

I am greedy. I would hold out hope that Stewie, Moriah and A'Ja (!) would be our three UConn AA's the following year.

Sorry Kia, Gabby, Courtney and Sadie. I have voter quota mentality so three Husky AA's at a time is my limit.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Voters are afflicted with a "quota mentality," which dictates a limit to the number of AA players from any single school. For example, had Kaleena not missed so many games (and played to her immense potential), there is no way that voters -- individually or collectively -- would honor four Huskies (Stewie, KML, Bria, and Stef). So her combination of injuries and illness had the positive effect of "locking" her three teammates into many or most ten-player AA teams.

Continuing my theory of "votah-quotah" mentality, Moriah gets locked out this year, the rationale being something like this: "We've already taken care of enough UConn players and, besides, she is only a sophomore so she has two more years to earn our vote(s)."

So I believe that Stewie, Stef and Bria are locks this year and it is reasonable to hope that Kaleena, Stewie and Moriah will be locks next year.

I am greedy. I would hold out hope that Stewie, Moriah and A'Ja (!) would be our three UConn AA's the following year.

Sorry Kia, Gabby, Courtney and Sadie. I have voter quota mentality so three Husky AA's at a time is my limit.
I think this is a really good point. There are a lot of irrational things that are part of the process that shouldn't be, and having an unofficial limit at three players seems to be one of them. It would be really interesting to see how that would have played out if Kaleena had played the whole year. Given that she was an AA last year, it would be hard to imagine that she would be kept off this year and, frankly, neither Bria, Stef, or Stewie are the weakest of a ten player AA list, so it's not like Kaleena would be bumping them down.

The other things that get me are an over-emphasis on offensive play/scoring/statistics (I don't think that Kelly should have been a first team AA last year, but she was definitely top 20, and I don't think a lot of voters saw it that way), a tendency to reward seniors (you touched on this with the Moriah factor, and I think this also unfairly hurts Stewart for NPOY) and, most importantly, an erroneous belief in qualities that make someone an all-american. The only thing that should make someone an all-american is having 9 or fewer players in division 1 who are better than her.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Stewart
Dolson
Hartley
Chiney
Sims
Hooper
Shoni
McBride
Thomas
DeShields

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I actually think Moriah may have a decent shot at the Lieberman award - voters voting for AA and POY will include Sims on those lists and may therefore look for a more traditional PG for that award.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
I don't know who it is, but if it were my decision (in no particular order):

Stewart
Dolson
Hartley
Ogwumike
Sims
McBride
Loyd
Liston
Thomas
Hooper

I concur

Reaction Score
Shoni is a lock. She is a good player and IMO boarder line AA. I would have Stef and Bria on the AA team before her but the deciding factor is politcal correctnes. No way they leave Shoni off a 10 player team. Hope Stef and Bria both make it. Both are deserving.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
I actually think Moriah may have a decent shot at the Lieberman award - voters voting for AA and POY will include Sims on those lists and may therefore look for a more traditional PG for that award.

I would be stunned if anyone but Sims wins that award. But, I've been stunned before...but that was a police matter that I choose not to discuss.

Reaction Score
Shoni is a lock. She is a good player and IMO boarder line AA. I would have Stef and Bria on the AA team before her but the deciding factor is politcal correctnes. No way they leave Shoni off a 10 player team. Hope Stef and Bria both make it. Both are deserving.
I've already beaten this to death on another thread, but I just don't understand how you can have a player who's shooting 8 percentage points worse than the rest of her team as one of the top ten in the country. Even if I was expanding my list, I'd take Jefferson, Mitchell, Howard, Harrison, and a few other players before I took Schimmel.

I honestly don't understand how political correctness benefits Schimmel (not that I'm saying it doesn't, I just don't understand why it would be a factor).

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I've already beaten this to death on another thread, but I just don't understand how you can have a player who's shooting 8 percentage points worse than the rest of her team as one of the top ten in the country. Even if I was expanding my list, I'd take Jefferson, Mitchell, Howard, Harrison, and a few other players before I took Schimmel.

I honestly don't understand how political correctness benefits Schimmel (not that I'm saying it doesn't, I just don't understand why it would be a factor).

You just made the case for political correctness putting on the team. If you don't understand politcal correctness, you really don't understand the way this country in general operates. She may make the team at the expense of a better player simple to have a Native American AA. Not sure but she may even be the first to make AA. And it 100% doesn't matter if a better player is left off the team to put her on.

If she makes it on merit, I am all for it. But what, for example, if Bria and Stef are not on the team? Is

You just made the case for her not being on the team. But she will be on the team for the sake of having a Native American on the team, maybe the first Native American AA.

If she makes it on merit, I am all for it but what if for example, Bria or Stef are not on the team and she is. Would you say Shoni is a better player than they are? And if they are better then the only reason she is on the team is political corretness of having a Native American AA.

The fact that a more deserving player is not on the team is not relivant to political correctness or the process. We will have an asnwer to the question shortly.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
You just made the case for political correctness putting on the team. If you don't understand politcal correctness, you really don't understand the way this country in general operates. She may make the team at the expense of a better player simple to have a Native American AA. Not sure but she may even be the first to make AA. And it 100% doesn't matter if a better player is left off the team to put her on.

Well, if political correctness is the powerful factor you suggest, then we can expect a host of voters to vote Lucas and Hooper on the AA team as a means of keeping Ogwumike and Sims off.:rolleyes:

And if you miss the point I am making with deliberate sarcasm, I am sure that others who frequent this board can help you out.

HuskyFan1125

"Dont be the same, be better"
Reaction Score
1st Team:

Sims
McBride
Ogwumike
Thomas
Stewart

2nd Team
Hartley
Lloyd
Liston
Dolson
Hooper

Next 5 in no particular order:

Lucas
Schimmel
Harrison
Howard
Logic

Reaction Score
It is hard to imagine Sims not winning the Liberman but it is just as hard to imagine Moriah not winning it at least once in the next two years. She can put it next to her four N.C. awards.

6 TO GO

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
How many of the other AA selections have had terrible games against Stef, Stewie and Bria for the last two years. To me that says a lot about the UCONN players deserving the upper hand. When playing head to head the UCONN players excelled.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
How many of the other AA selections have had terrible games against Stef, Stewie and Bria for the last two years. To me that says a lot about the UCONN players deserving the upper hand. When playing head to head the UCONN players excelled.
Kelly Faris outplayed most of the AA team head-to-head. :)

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I know the ESPN selections were based on only about 5 voters, but I think their first team--all of whom were unanimous--and the 3 unanimous second-teamers will make at least one of the 10-player teams, maybe all of them.

Chiney
Sims
McBride
Thomas
Stewie

Hartley
Dolson
Loyd

Who gets the other 2 slots? I think Shoni and Liston, but it could be very close.

Some very good players make the second 10. I'd put Diamond and Moriah in that group.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I would be stunned if anyone but Sims wins that award. But, I've been stunned before...but that was a police matter that I choose not to discuss.
I suspect you are correct, but as I posted in the Lieberman thread - Sims isn't the best POINT GUARD on her own team - Johnson is having a phenomenal year with 60 more assists and 37 fewer turnovers - her A/TO ratio is 3.8 vs Sims at 1.6

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom