Who defines class? | The Boneyard

Who defines class?

Reaction Score
Unsurprisingly, given UConn's incredible run of success under Geno's reign, outrageous expectations of ongoing success, measured only in terms of national championships, inevitably prevail. Regrettably, when those outsized expectations fall short, many will resort to sour grapes, especially manifested in bitter commentary on class...who has it, who fails some arbitrary so-called "test." I, for one, would love to see this tendency cease, especially since the era of long-dominance by UConn, or by any one or two or three programs is coming to an end. Many of us have long-lamented the absence of a sufficient level of parity in WBB. Now that it's arrived, and, make no mistake, it has arrived, many find that they don't like it. What they seem to dislike most is the existence of programs, their players, and their head coaches who demonstrate warrior mentalities, who don't approach contests with our favorite team feeling intimidated, who exhibit an in-your-face attitude. This is apparently considered unseemly, especially in the women's game and most especially if the head coaches who fall into that category are female. Does a double-standard exist when it comes to gender in sports? Damn right it does! I offer here the post-championship-game interviews from Arizona's head coach and her star player, the former of which has been the subject of lots of opinion on our forum on the subject of class, and on the subject of an unapologetic, in-your-face will to succeed. Me, I'm a fan!

Reaction Score
No one is ever happy. Geno does a press conference and gets accused of throwing his players under the bus, or being too sarcastic. We want players that win but God forbid they have an edge to them that we don't like; especially if they're women.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog
Top Bottom