Who’s winning the portal? | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Who’s winning the portal?

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Is that what they are basing this off of? I thought it was just incoming players.

edit--if we wanna do "who's losing the portal?" it's gotta be Oregon St. by a landslide
Arkansas’s right there too. Brutal off-season for Neighbors, losing 4 double digit scorers to the portal. Likely will be a bottom dweller in the SEC this upcoming year.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score

UCLA and Oklahoma should be on here too. Kind of a bummer though to see all of the talent consolidated in the SEC and Big Ten. I hope the ACC and Big 12 can stay relevant in the national picture long term. UCONN too once Geno retires. Having talent spread across the country is good for the sport.

Reaction Score
Arkansas’s right there too. Brutal off-season for Neighbors, losing 4 double digit scorers to the portal. Likely will be a bottom dweller in the SEC this upcoming year.
His job is starting to look vulnerable, which is something I never thought I would say about Neighbors. I would probably put him #2 on the most likely fired SEC coach list at the end of next season. With that said, I doubt anyone but Pingeton is fired after next season, though I wouldn't be surprised if there was an out-of-left-field firing of someone like Joni Taylor. Neighbors will probably get one more year to turn it around due to his prior history.

Reaction Score
Oregon makes a late charge. Seriously, I was wondering if they'd have enough players when the portal kicked off and they are gonna end up with 15 players on the roster. Last time they had a deep roster, ~2020 with Paopao, Jaz Shelley, Taylor Chavez, Taylor Mikessell, Maddie Scherr, I think Graves kinda struggled with it, although they did make the tournament that year. Seemed like a lot of players were not happy and did not know their role. Paopao had quite a bit of hype, honestly their whole freshman class did, but it seemed like they did not know who their best player was. I don't think they'll have that same problem. Deja is their go-to player. Philli and Amina their clear starters in the front court. It's just the other guard and wing positions there are a lot of options. Here's the lineup that I'd want to see:

Peyton Scott
Deja Kelly
Faith Ehis Etute
Amina Muhammed
Philli Kyei

But I really like their all their players. First five off the bench:

Kate Fisio
Ari Long
Nani Falatea
Salimatou Korouma
Sofia Bell

Notre Dame also made a late push as well. Liatu King and Liza Karlen is nothing to sneeze at. But I kinda feel their biggest acquisition is Olivia Miles and Prosper coming back. So they may be a 1 seed and better next year but I'd feel like its kinda not accurate to say it was the portal class.

Reaction Score
Oregon makes a late charge. Seriously, I was wondering if they'd have enough players when the portal kicked off and they are gonna end up with 15 players on the roster. Last time they had a deep roster, ~2020 with Paopao, Jaz Shelley, Taylor Chavez, Taylor Mikessell, Maddie Scherr, I think Graves kinda struggled with it, although they did make the tournament that year. Seemed like a lot of players were not happy and did not know their role. Paopao had quite a bit of hype, honestly their whole freshman class did, but it seemed like they did not know who their best player was. I don't think they'll have that same problem. Deja is their go-to player. Philli and Amina their clear starters in the front court. It's just the other guard and wing positions there are a lot of options. Here's the lineup that I'd want to see:

Peyton Scott
Deja Kelly
Faith Ehis Etute
Amina Muhammed
Philli Kyei

But I really like their all their players. First five off the bench:

Kate Fisio
Ari Long
Nani Falatea
Salimatou Korouma
Sofia Bell

Notre Dame also made a late push as well. Liatu King and Liza Karlen is nothing to sneeze at. But I kinda feel their biggest acquisition is Olivia Miles and Prosper coming back. So they may be a 1 seed and better next year but I'd feel like its kinda not accurate to say it was the portal class.
Oregon does have a nice collection of talent but that’s been the case for most of the last four or five seasons and Graves has generally fumbled the catch. I think this is his last shot, though. I don’t see how he can survive if Oregon doesn’t make the tournament again. If he can fuse the pieces together they’ll be solid. I really like Muhammed.

Reaction Score
Leaving in the portal is a problem, so yes you can win the portal by not having players leave in it.
Sometimes a player leaving in the portal is a net plus. If it is not a player that would be used in a contested game, the available roster spot for a player to be named later, whether in the portal or an extra high school recruit could be worth much more.

That is not as big factor if a team is nowhere close to their roster limit, but if they are, the opportunity cost can be high to have a relatively unused player on the roster.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom