Which player Can Uconn NOT do without? | The Boneyard

Which player Can Uconn NOT do without?

Reaction Score
I've be doing some RE watching of past games where Gabby or Napheesa got into foul trouble.
It appears to me--I'm a viewer--not a Stat-er--that when Ms Collier was out with fouls the opponents went off on Uconn and the score slid backwards.
The MD game--after a 30 point lead--foul trouble with ONLY 2 players Gabby and Napheesa --allowed MD to get within 6 points. My belief is if we lose Napheesa--our season does not end well!!
That's my VIEW---how do YOU see it???

Reaction Score
"The Whole is Equal to the Sum of its Parts. "

For this team with it's thin bench, losing any part of the "whole" would be a critical loss, most likely fatal loss for winning a NC. They can't afford to lose anybody.

Reaction Score
She (Collier) is my choice as well. When she is out of the game, teams seem to focus more on Katie Lou and get a little more physical with her and she suffers/struggles a bit. The team as a whole also struggles with the "high post offense" when Pheesa is on the bench more so than Gabby.

Last edited:
Reaction Score

For this team with it's thin bench, losing any part of the "whole" would be a critical loss, most likely fatal loss for winning a NC. They can't afford to lose anybody.

Short bench--At some point Collier and/or Gabby--because of their unique job of defending and attacking the boards collect more fouls (generally ) than Kia, Soniya or klS. With the law of averages and probabilities--it would appear either Gabby or Napheesa may be sitting in some important game. Teams will try to make that happen knowing the limitation of Uconn's bench. MD did it effectively--ECU manhandled Uconn attempting to get them in foul trouble.
So--Uconn WILL be seating one or 2 of the top 3. Which one will impact Uconn ability to win --MOST???
If it is the Whole--then if Saniya or Kia go to the bench--Uconn may lose??? (Argument--not argumentative)

Reaction Score
All of them. Each member of the starting five has proven to be an invaluable component to the well-oiled machine they have going. When Napheesa is on the bench, it's a different team. When Saniya is on the bench, it's a different team. When Kia is on the bench, it's a different team. When Katie is on the bench, it's a different team. When Gabby is on the bench, it's a different team. When every one of them sits, something is lost on the court. As PPP said, we can't afford to lose anyone. We're not a deep team - as of right now, we have our starting 5, Natalie, and two freshman in Kyla and Molly. (And of course, TLaw!) We don't know when Crystal will be back and ready to play again. Losing any of our starters would not bode well for the team. I wouldn't want to face Baylor or MD again with any of the starting 5 sitting on the bench for any considerable length of time due to foul trouble.

Reaction Score
Your examples for setting up your question is somewhat incomplete because Lou is on the floor all the time until game is in hand. I think it's both her ability to stay out of foul trouble after game 1 and also Geno realizes she is the straw that mixes the offense same as Gabby is the one on defense. Pheese can stir equally on both sides. Tough call but agree with most this team needs all of them on floor, at least against top competition. This is what makes it hard for choosing MVP. I went back last night and looked at all the stats, and some replays, let's say that each of these guys had a couple off games but the others were able to pick it up for them. This is what I think makes us the most dangerous team.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Since this current historic winning streak started when Kia was inserted into the starting line lineup I'm going go with Kia.
65008017.jpg

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
Nurse Colliamson must be available with her full medicine cabinet for UConn to get past the Elite 8. I think that even applies to Saniya, Crystal, and Natalie as well.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
Yes indeed, Kia has been there from every game starting with Game Three of 2014-15- that is, the entire streak starting with Creighton in November 2014. She was critical in helping UConn forge an identity after having lost Stef and Bria. Kia helped get it done that season, while Stewie/Tuck/Jefferson asserted themselves and earned NPOY and Lieberman awards. Thankfully, KLS/Gabby/Napheesa have been spectacular in their own rights.

Reaction Score
I'm with the OP on this one. Based on the particular games this season where the team was stressed competitively, Napheesa Collier's absence on court, or diminished effectiveness due to foul trouble, had the most noticeable effect (for me) on leveling the team's performance to that of its competition.

I don't disagree that each member of the starting five is equally valuable; that the fine-tuned balance of this group suggests any one member's absence would cause reduced efficiency of the whole ("the whole is greater than the sum of its parts"). But the OP's premise is an interesting subject to consider and debate.

Reaction Score
The beauty of this team is how the parts fit together. The weakness of this team is how few parts there are and the value that each part brings to the whole. The tournament will be very interesting, especially if the games lined up so that UConn had to play both SC and Baylor. For this team, thin as it is, to win those games back to back would be a tremendous accomplishment.

Reaction Score
Geno would be nothing without TLawlor bringing him the eraser. Just sayin'.....
Thanks---I thought that was a given---kidding--but the kid does add --her own cheering section. Maybe not indispensable
and after 3 years --an emotional member of the team. (I know you know that )

Reaction Score
I'm with the OP on this one. Based on the particular games this season where the team was stressed competitively, Napheesa Collier's absence on court, or diminished effectiveness due to foul trouble, had the most noticeable effect (for me) on leveling the team's performance to that of its competition.

I don't disagree that each member of the starting five is equally valuable; that the fine-tuned balance of this group suggests any one member's absence would cause reduced efficiency of the whole ("the whole is greater than the sum of its parts"). But the OP's premise is an interesting subject to consider and debate.

It is an interesting concept --whole greater than the sum of the parts--there is the--feeding off of one another--then there is this five knows each other better than any sub the bring in---BUT the Baylor game--Danger comes in and the team is uplifted and a huge win--without the same sum of parts. Danger came in to the MD game --without any uplifting--score was almost withheld--but MD scored and Uconn didn't maintain the separation.

Monte

Count of Monte UConn
Reaction Score

I agree. IF, they want a National Championship, they cannot lose ANY of the starting five. I wince every time one of those starters gets hit, or falls. There is a very thin line here. I would like to see Geno take out as many of the starters as possible as soon as they get a comfortable lead in every game. In recent games, he has been leaving Chong in quite long to run the show when the reserves are in there. With her history of injuries, I don't like that.

Reaction Score
Based on past experiences, I have to agree that it's Collier. Which is why she needs to stop fouling! (Well, that's likely impossible given her defensive duties, but at least the cheaper variety of fouls needs to go....

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom