Where's the improvement? | The Boneyard

Where's the improvement?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I know, I know, we are young. But I just continue to see the same mistakes week after week. I have to be honest with you, I think there are some high school teams down here in Georgia that can beat this team. It was awful watching this game today.
Let's start with the lesser of two evils.
The Defense- although they have played well at times I never agreed with some on here that said the defense has been good. So they were good against 2 teams (SB/USF) whose offenses are just as bad as ours. I continue to see too many big plays being given up on missed assignments. I'm also tired of seeing on 3rd down situations us only rushing 3 guys, dropping 8, getting no pass rush and giving the opposing QB all day to find what always turns out to be a wide open receiver. We have got to make some adjustments and bring some pressure on 3rd down passing situations.

Now the offense - what started off as a promising opening drive ends in typical fashion, a turnover. Whitmer who I have been calling for his removal week after week, actually had time to throw on the interception, but rather than step up in the pocket, stood there and threw off his back foot and when if you are going to miss you need to miss long he comes up brutally short on the throw. What made it even worse is we can't tackle the guy and once again we find ourselves in an early hole which with this team is a death sentence.
The O-Line, what can you say that hasn't been said already. I just can't believe these are guys who have been playing this position all their lives. How many times can you see 2 or 3 guys come in untouched. Just put your darn body in front of them already. You would think these guys have never done this before. At this point I say next 5, maybe start the 5 who were in at the end of the game. It is just brutal to watch.

Although Boyle may not be the answer either because of this O-Line, I still just do not understand the decision of only 2 series for the game. There will be no bowl this year. We are playing for the future. Let Boyle struggle but we need to find out if he is an option for next year. He needs to be getting reps. At this point I wouldn't be surprised if he transferred. Because the O-line is so bad maybe we should just adopt a Georgia Tech style offense and just let Foxx do what he did and run every play. At least we might move the ball.

This is just so painful to watch right now.

The bright side is I do feel we have some potential on both sides. Fatituska and Joseph on D and Newsome and Johnson on O.

Reaction Score
I know, I know, we are young. But I just continue to see the same mistakes week after week. I have to be honest with you, I think there are some high school teams down here in Georgia that can beat this team. It was awful watching this game today.
Let's start with the lesser of two evils.
The Defense- although they have played well at times I never agreed with some on here that said the defense has been good. So they were good against 2 teams (SB/USF) whose offenses are just as bad as ours. I continue to see too many big plays being given up on missed assignments. I'm also tired of seeing on 3rd down situations us only rushing 3 guys, dropping 8, getting no pass rush and giving the opposing QB all day to find what always turns out to be a wide open receiver. We have got to make some adjustments and bring some pressure on 3rd down passing situations.

Now the offense - what started off as a promising opening drive ends in typical fashion, a turnover. Whitmer who I have been calling for his removal week after week, actually had time to throw on the interception, but rather than step up in the pocket, stood there and threw off his back foot and when if you are going to miss you need to miss long he comes up brutally short on the throw. What made it even worse is we can't tackle the guy and once again we find ourselves in an early hole which with this team is a death sentence.
The O-Line, what can you say that hasn't been said already. I just can't believe these are guys who have been playing this position all their lives. How many times can you see 2 or 3 guys come in untouched. Just put your darn body in front of them already. You would think these guys have never done this before. At this point I say next 5, maybe start the 5 who were in at the end of the game. It is just brutal to watch.

Although Boyle may not be the answer either because of this O-Line, I still just do not understand the decision of only 2 series for the game. There will be no bowl this year. We are playing for the future. Let Boyle struggle but we need to find out if he is an option for next year. He needs to be getting reps. At this point I wouldn't be surprised if he transferred. Because the O-line is so bad maybe we should just adopt a Georgia Tech style offense and just let Foxx do what he did and run every play. At least we might move the ball.

This is just so painful to watch right now.

The bright side is I do feel we have some potential on both sides. Fatituska and Joseph on D and Newsome and Johnson on O.
I agree with everything you said. I have been saying to my friends that sit with me at games, I hate the 3 man rush on 3rd and long, its terrible, and we have been burned by in previous games ,not so much yesterday.

Reaction Score
There is a lot to look forward to on defense from the young pups: Jesse Joseph, Folorunso Fatukasi, Cole Ormsby, and Luke Carrezola are all freshmen with bright futures. The defense is good enough to win games. They are constantly put into horrible spots by the offense and rarely get any rest. There are holes no question, but I remain very optimistic about this group.

Offense? Not so much. I love what Arkeel Newsome brings as a runner and receiver. He has fantastic instincts, and if you get him in space, look out. He really needs to work on his pass protection. Other than that there is absolutely nothing that gives me confidence going forward or next year.

Reaction Score
Jesse Joseph graduated. Its Junior Joseph you are talking about.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom