Where does signing of Ferguson leave | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Where does signing of Ferguson leave

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
We won a national championship with Kromah so I'd say it worked out pretty well
I started to post that 'it wasn't because of Kromah' but he was a contributor on that squad.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Is Towns an option?

He has a redshirt year and will likely graduate from Harvard. He’s a scoring SF, which is probably our greatest need. He may or may not be on the NBA draft board. UConn scrimmaged against Harvard this year and last so he knows our players and coaches.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Towns would be that. I’m encouraged that we’ve played them in scrimmages twice.

But any grad transfer is better than leaving a scholarship open or locking up a filler piece/role player for four years.

Yup. For practice body alone. But even moreso, because next year we have our first attempt at a proper season in a long time. So you need downside protection. If someone gets hurt for a period, you need extra biddies behind him. We've ben caught with our pants down for far too long.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
I hope he is, but he's gonna be one of the 2 or 3 best grad transfers available and I'm not sure that's a guy coming to UConn

Yeah I don't see it either. A quality GT is going for one of two things: 1. Playing time (starter) or 2. a strong NCAA run.

We've actually got good depth in the front court next year; regardless if he's the 1st option, he'd still be sharing minutes. And while we will hopefully make the tournament, we are not a FF contender.

Reaction Score
Towns would be that. I’m encouraged that we’ve played them in scrimmages twice.

But any grad transfer is better than leaving a scholarship open or locking up a filler piece/role player for four years.
Agreed, my point is I don't think we're bringing in any more filler pieces whether it's grad transfer or freshman, we already have that and I think Hurley wants to get rid of that instead of adding to it.

Reaction Score
Agreed, my point is I don't think we're bringing in any more filler pieces whether it's grad transfer or freshman, we already have that and I think Hurley wants to get rid of that instead of adding to it.
Depending on how the roster looks at the end of the year, don't be surprised if Hurley uses that last scholarship with a traditional sit out transfer. He likes the idea of bringing someone in like a Cole, and having them practice in his system for a year, weight train, and really work on areas of growth.

I expect them to use it with a reclassify to 2020, a transfer, or a de-commit. Grad transfer I think is their last option.

Last edited:

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Depending on how the roster looks at the end of the year, don't be surprised if Hurley uses that last scholarship with a tradition sit out transfer. He likes the idea of bringing someone in like a Cole, and having them practice in his system for a year, weight train, and really work on areas of growth.

I expect them to use it with a reclassify to 2020, a transfer, or a de-commit. Grad transfer I think is their last option.
I'd wait on de-commits. There will be a lot of chum in the water and should be able to reel in a specimen marlin.

Reaction Score
Hurley loves to have his main targets wrapped up by mid-November. Obviously Akok took a little longer last year, and then the whole Kofi/center issue. Staff can now focus on 2021 kids, while keeping an eye on 2020 and letting the season play out in terms of need. We won't be scrambling in the spring for the first time in a while.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Hurley loves to have his main targets wrapped up by mid-November. Obviously Akok took a little longer last year, and then the whole Kofi/center issue. Staff can now focus on 2021 kids, while keeping an eye on 2020 and letting the season play out in terms of need. We won't be scrambling in the spring for the first time in a while.

Who doesn't? ;)

Reaction Score
20-21 looks to be a potentially HUGE class. Between the 3 graduating & depending on Akok & Bouk?

Reaction Score
Northfield Mt. Hermon Game:

10 PT
6 REB (2 OFF 4 DEF)
5 AST
3/10 FG
4/9 FT
1 TO
2 BLK
0 STL
  • This is the game where I’m reminded this kid is RAW. We are taking a solid 2021 recruit in 2020 so we can lock him up early. Important to realize we should consider his sophomore year his equivalent freshman year to his peers.
  • Missed a LOT of easy shots. Even a bunch of his fouls should have been and-1s. Tough day today .. but against one of the best teams on the prep circuit, to be fair.
  • NMH sold out completely on 3s to double- and triple-team Javonte Brown Ferguson. He made some SOLID passes out of it--better than yesterday's passing.
  • Foul trouble this whole game. 2 in the first quarter. 4 with 6 minutes left in the 3rd. Javonte Brown Ferguson comes out. 19-1 run by the opppnent. Basically blew the game open for good in the 1st. Same thing in the 3rd and 4th.. Big run by the opponent when he comes out. Only ended up playing what felt like 20 minutes.
  • Got another T complaining to referees. Hurley will need to clean that up. Benched for the rest of the 1st half.. About 5 mins. He was playing with two fouls anyways--probably a good idea to pull him.
  • Nice passing from the short corner when his shot wasn’t falling.
  • Fouled out with 2:20 left.

Reaction Score

Is Cliff completely off the radar since we got Javonte Brown Ferguson?

Reaction Score
Shonn Miller and Lasan Kromah say hello. Sterling Gibbs would have too if not forced to play out of position by a nitwit coach.

The fact that these guys contributed during one of the worst runs in UConn history (minus kromah) is an argument against grad transfers.

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score
wut?

Meaning we have been grad transfer heavy the past six or seven seasons and, with the exception of Senhor’s Wild Ride in 2014, have been through an awful down period. He’s right.

For every Kerry Blackshear or even Nate Sestina that hits the grad transfer market, there’s ten David Onuorahs or Antoine Andersons and we’ve been getting the latter.

Reaction Score
Meaning we have been grad transfer heavy the past six or seven seasons and, with the exception of Senhor’s Wild Ride in 2014, have been through an awful down period. He’s right.

For every Kerry Blackshear or even Nate Sestina that hits the grad transfer market, there’s ten David Onuorahs or Antoine Andersons and we’ve been getting the latter.
The issue is that we had no talent and were playing those grad transfers 30 minutes a game. That's when grad transfers don't work

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score
The issue is that we had no talent and were playing those grad transfers 30 minutes a game. That's when grad transfers don't work

That’s more or less what I meant. If we had talent those years, we either aren’t in the market for two grad transfers at a time or we are a team capable of making a run and we aren’t relying on the grad transfer- like Kentucky with Sestina- we are supplementing with the grad transfer.

Reaction Score
The right grad transfers>Bad grad transfers>under talented freshmen with low ceilings

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kemba123#

Top Bottom