Where are all the students? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Where are all the students?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
The problem with putting kids around the court is that you have a lot of rich older folks who don't like to stand up when things get exciting unless it involves free T-shirts being thrown to the crowd.

This is what up the atmospher in all the games! Try standing up in the lower bowl to cheer on the team while your in front of a silver head..... you will find security on you in a heartbeat !

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score
Nickel starts at 7 and people would rather spend $20 to watch it on campus in a bar with their friends than money on transportation/tickets/food/drinks in hartford. pretty simple really.

Want a rowdy environment? Put this game in Gampel with a 9pm tip off post nickel. Someone might die.

Reaction Score
The problem is the ticket process. Back in the day about 10 years ago, until a bunch of butt hurt students complained, you camped out for about 24 hours and waited in line to buy tickets for UConn season tickets. Lone and behold students complained it wasn't fair and the current generations attitude of I deserve tickets cause Im a student took over. So instead of the hardcore passionate fans getting the student tickets every student enters into a lottery system based on class standing and the tickets are distributed that way. So basically every guy tells all their friends and every female they know to enter the lottery and if those people get tickets through the lottery they will buy those tickets from them and then have a surplus/stack of tickets that they either use to scalp or go to the games they want. The camping stopped cause students complained it wasn't fair and they couldn't afford to camp out for 24 hours and miss 1 days worth of classes.

Bring back the camping out and the true hadcore fans who bleed blue will have the tickets and fill the stadium. I never missed a game at XL when I was a student. All these excuses are bogus. I knew plenty of people on campus who had a car and tickets and we would pregame and carpool. We also came from the era of 50 cent pitchers, nickel night and good old penny night at civic pub. We still would miss those things to go to UConn games in Hartford. Pound beers and shots before and then take a few with you for the ride and pound a few more in the garage. Then you only need a couple beers during the game. We always had a girl be our DD.

Just excuses from the students who don't show up to Hartford. They are the same that complain about there being no parking on campus when there are weekday night games on campus.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
I support more and better student seats (and less corporate, non-fans) but when you see empty student sections (which I noticed a couple of times this year) it is confusing.
As far as the difficulty for students to get to the XL, I'm missing something. Does the buss cost a lot? Is it inconvenient?
I'm 60 and my drive is much longer than the students. Parking is outrageously expensive. A 30 minute bus ride would seem like a deal to me.
Not asking you to get off my lawn but I don't understand.

Reaction Score
I never had to camp out for tickets because I was in the pep band. More kids should try that.

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score
All those who camped out with me through a hurricane in October 2005 outside Gampel to get season tickets shall be my brothers forever.

Best day ever!!!

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score
Nothing will ever replace season ticket campout. Those were some of the most fun days I ever had as a UConn student. And like everything else fun, it was done away with.

Reaction Score
All those who camped out with me through a hurricane in October 2005 outside Gampel to get season tickets shall be my brothers forever.

yup, caught a cold, was my freshman year, maybe even my first month or two and never experienced school tradition or anything like that. was an awesome time... miserable.. but awesome, made the tickets worth it. And you can always take a bus from campus and pregame in hartford.

tykurez

For Your Health
Reaction Score
The problem is the ticket process. Back in the day about 10 years ago, until a bunch of butt hurt students complained, you camped out for about 24 hours and waited in line to buy tickets for UConn season tickets. Lone and behold students complained it wasn't fair and the current generations attitude of I deserve tickets cause Im a student took over. So instead of the hardcore passionate fans getting the student tickets every student enters into a lottery system based on class standing and the tickets are distributed that way. So basically every guy tells all their friends and every female they know to enter the lottery and if those people get tickets through the lottery they will buy those tickets from them and then have a surplus/stack of tickets that they either use to scalp or go to the games they want. The camping stopped cause students complained it wasn't fair and they couldn't afford to camp out for 24 hours and miss 1 days worth of classes.

Bring back the camping out and the true hadcore fans who bleed blue will have the tickets and fill the stadium. I never missed a game at XL when I was a student. All these excuses are bogus. I knew plenty of people on campus who had a car and tickets and we would pregame and carpool. We also came from the era of 50 cent pitchers, nickel night and good old penny night at civic pub. We still would miss those things to go to UConn games in Hartford. Pound beers and shots before and then take a few with you for the ride and pound a few more in the garage. Then you only need a couple beers during the game. We always had a girl be our DD.

Just excuses from the students who don't show up to Hartford. They are the same that complain about there being no parking on campus when there are weekday night games on campus.

Bingo.

For the casual student fan, I'm sure beer + friends + chicks > driving to hartford. But I'll be damned if I ever missed a game after camping out for those tickets. And screw the bus, we always managed to find free parking (hell, I can still find it to this day. Market St. garage, etc.)

And any 18-22 year old who whines about getting back to campus at 10:00 hasn't been doing their homework.

temery

What?
Reaction Score
I support more and better student seats (and less corporate, non-fans) but when you see empty student sections (which I noticed a couple of times this year) it is confusing.
As far as the difficulty for students to get to the XL, I'm missing something. Does the buss cost a lot? Is it inconvenient?
I'm 60 and my drive is much longer than the students. Parking is outrageously expensive. A 30 minute bus ride would seem like a deal to me.
Not asking you to get off my lawn but I don't understand.

When I was a grad student I went to pretty much every on campus athletic event I was able to attend, regardless of the sport. I don't remember many off campus events, but I doubt I would have gotten on a bus unless it was a big game.

Reaction Score
Current student here (Soph). I was at the game last night and was actually pleasantly surprised by the student turnout. This was a weeknight game in Hartford. Against Tulsa. I get that they're the first place team in the conference, but to the casual fan, they don't know the record, they just see some bumble duck school from Oklahoma. It's not a name they recognize, like Cuse or Nova, or even Cincy. The XL center was full to the brim for the Cincy game. I think the name of the opponent plays a pretty big role.

Reaction Score
Yeah the seats where people wanna put students are like tier5 legacy season ticket holders and big big bucks. They are not giving up the per game gain on the prices and piss off big time donors.

Reaction Score
Big social night at 7:00 pm? Come on. Weak

Yeah Thursday night was one of the bigger nights out, especially for us in the business school. Fall semester senior year I'd get out of business law at 6:45, and would immediately go to Huskies for nickel night. Once nickel night was wrapping up, I'd go across the street to Thirsty's for 50 cent pitchers. Most Friday mornings I would wake up on someone's couch in Celeron or Hunting Lodge

BUConn10

Artist formerly known as BUHusky10
Reaction Score
Yeah Thursday night was one of the bigger nights out, especially for us in the business school. Fall semester senior year I'd get out of business law at 6:45, and would immediately go to Huskies for nickel night. Once nickel night was wrapping up, I'd go across the street to Thirsty's for 50 cent pitchers. Most Friday mornings I would wake up on someone's couch in Celeron or Hunting Lodge
And if you're lucky you'll wake up in someones bed in Celeron or Hunting Lodge ;)

Reaction Score
Drew said:
Nickel starts at 7 and people would rather spend $20 to watch it on campus in a bar with their friends than money on transportation/tickets/food/drinks in hartford. pretty simple really. Want a rowdy environment? Put this game in Gampel with a 9pm tip off post nickel. Someone might die.

You may get your wish when we play Memphis at 9 pm on a Thursday at Gampel in a couple weeks.

Reaction Score
To the point @methodology made earlier in the thread, it's perfectly understandable that the casual fan wouldn't want to go to a game in Hartford. But UConn has what, 25,000 students? A lot of those 25,000 probably applied to UConn in part because of their athletic programs, and basketball is obviously the marquee attraction at this school. There should be no problem filling to capacity, even if it's a semi-inconvenient bus ride away. The problem is that the tickets are in the hands of the wrong people, and that's been a problem for years now. The people who get tickets should be the ones that would die for UConn basketball, not some shmuck who wants to profit by selling them for over face value (these are the worst types of people).

And I get that basketball is way behind alcohol in the pecking order for college students, but God, you sound so lame when you can't go to a basketball game because you can't wait until 9:00 to get drunk.

Reaction Score
Wait wait wait.... I am not from Connecticut, the XL games are not free for students?? Is the bus ride free? Can you sneak booze on to the bus at least?

Reaction Score
Wait wait wait.... I am not from Connecticut, the XL games are not free for students?? Is the bus ride free? Can you sneak booze on to the bus at least?
No booze allowed, bus ticket is $4, game tickets are $5.

Reaction Score
No booze allowed, bus ticket is $4, game tickets are $5.

That price is warding students away? You couldn't sneak booze onto the bus? This confuses me, a 30 minute pregame for a 5 dollar game sounds wonderful...

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
That's the thing I don't get about the bus. You can't get booze on it? Do the students really lack that ability.

Granted at gampel and rentschler
we need to be more subtle - but
at Memorial we had an open bar in the bleachers.

Females have bras - does the TSA handle bus security?

I would pay $500 a year to make a short walk and have bus transportation to XL for games.

Maybe they are bussing in the wrong demographic.

Reaction Score
That's the thing I don't get about the bus. You can't get booze on it? Do the students really lack that ability.
That's what I am scratching my head about, I feel like the booze driven mind of a student could certainly figure it out.

Where there's a thirst there's a way.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
belle