What's your outlook post July | The Boneyard

What's your outlook post July

Reaction Score
Floyd's performance at Peach Jam and Donovan's at the NBA camp add to the excitement of having their commitments. Two months ago I had resigned myself that Karaban wasn't going to be pursued by the staff to be a Husky. Now, the idea of Karaban not becoming a husky is too painful to contemplate. We have so much promise to be a team that can compete for a championship, and, in my view, Karaban is the catalyst to bring it all together for multiple years with Donovan. These guys coupled with alpha athlete wings and quality guards = potential. Karaban's commitment just has to happen

Ty Rogers is an excellent player that could make a difference but at best he is a longshot, and doesn't bring the 3 pt shot we need. A frontcourt Plan 'C',in the 2022 class doesn't seem likely. I'm sure Starling and Epps are capable players, but I'm not very high on either as being difference makers towards a championship. I've watched Starling 2 complete games and 5-6 other times when I was switching between games. His high ranking is a mystery to me. After Karaban, I'm hoping one of our 2023 targets will ultimately be able to reclass to 2022 next spring. For 2023 I love Stephon Castle, Gavin Griffith, Taylor Bol-Bowen, and Matis Buzelis, for the spots I expect open, and Isaiah Miranda if a 5th spot opens up.

I know there are some posters that love Starling. Given July commitments and evaluation, what are you hoping for now?

Reaction Score
Always enjoy your perspective and narrative.. Don't see Ty leaving the Mid-West.AK"s summer performance has created a lot of visibility/offers for him. .Need to lock him up sooner rather than later or he may be seduced by other Blue Bloods.

Reaction Score
Karaban in August and sit on the other 2 scholarships until the spring. I'd take Rodgers if he'd commit, though I don't love the fit. In the spring I think we're looking at a team coming off 1-2 tournament wins and a legitimate Final Four contender for 2022, that should be very attractive to transfers looking for a new home for the 1-2 spots (1 for Cole if he's willing)

Reaction Score
Karaban in August and sit on the other 2 scholarships until the spring. I'd take Rodgers if he'd commit, though I don't love the fit. In the spring I think we're looking at a team coming off 1-2 tournament wins and a legitimate Final Four contender for 2022, that should be very attractive to transfers looking for a new home for the 1-2 spots (1 for Cole if he's willing)
How is Rodgers a bad fit?

Reaction Score
This class needs another shooter even with Karabans commitment (fingers crossed)
If you don’t think starling is a huge difference maker it seems like he’s the best shooter we have been recruiting and have a realistic chance of getting a commitment from. I don’t see a better option.

Reaction Score
This class needs another shooter even with Karabans commitment (fingers crossed)
If you don’t think starling is a huge difference maker it seems like he’s the best shooter we have been recruiting and have a realistic chance of getting a commitment from. I don’t see a better option.
I'm with @navery12 to wait for spring for that better shooter as a transfer or 2023 reclass to 2022. At that time we have the additional benefit to have seen the 2021 class contribute, and evaluate Jackson's progress, and Akok/Johnson/Hawkins/Gaffney from deep. We might change our mind as to what best helps the team. To me, Starling is like a 6'4 Polley because he has talent but if he isn't making shots he isn't doing anything else to help you win. Additionally, I've never seen him make enough shots to justify a 'shooter' reputation. It does look nice but doesn't go in. 41 3's in 5 games and making 10, with more turnovers than assists, and a reputation of never passing, just doesn't excite me as being our guy. I've also watched him against Sunrise Christian and 1 other team. @HuskyWarrior611 has been open minded enough about his Donovan Clingan reservations, and I'd like to think I'm equally open minded about my reservations re: Starling. I've never watched Epps play a game, only highlights.

Reaction Score
We seem to be involved early with some shooters /'bucket getters in 2023 class that could potentially reclass and provide some offensive balance..

Another wild card is does RJ stay or go for 2 more seasons? He can be effective off the ball when given the opportunity. Not the man but a nice complimentary piece to Hawk who will be worthy of big minutes in 2021 and the 2022 s3ason.

Addition of AK would have a positive impact on roster construction and remaining 2022 targets. Good "problems" to have.

Reaction Score
I'm with @navery12 to wait for spring for that better shooter as a transfer or 2023 reclass to 2022. At that time we have the additional benefit to have seen the 2021 class contribute, and evaluate Jackson's progress, and Akok/Johnson/Hawkins/Gaffney from deep. We might change our mind as to what best helps the team. To me, Starling is like a 6'4 Polley because he has talent but if he isn't making shots he isn't doing anything else to help you win. Additionally, I've never seen him make enough shots to justify a 'shooter' reputation. It does look nice but doesn't go in. 41 3's in 5 games and making 10, with more turnovers than assists, and a reputation of never passing, just doesn't excite me as being our guy. I've also watched him against Sunrise Christian and 1 other team. @HuskyWarrior611 has been open minded enough about his Donovan Clingan reservations, and I'd like to think I'm equally open minded about my reservations re: Starling. I've never watched Epps play a game, only highlights.
In today’s landscape with the transfer policy holding onto a scholarship and taking a transfer is certainly a strategy many coaches will employ, and it’s a good one. I don’t know if hurley will have the appetite for it, but it could lead to a high level player/shooter
He does seem to really like the reclass idea in a lot of circumstances. It’s also a way to get a high level player before a lot of the 1 and done factories get heavy into players.
anyone know which 23’s would be eligible for a reclass to 22?

Reaction Score
How is Rodgers a bad fit?
We have a ton of bad shooters already, only so many minutes to go around for someone who can't shoot. At the end of the day you take the talent but him and Jackson at the 3 really limits the lineup options at the 2 and 4 spot

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Floyd's performance at Peach Jam and Donovan's at the NBA camp add to the excitement of having their commitments. Two months ago I had resigned myself that Karaban wasn't going to be pursued by the staff to be a Husky. Now, the idea of Karaban not becoming a husky is too painful to contemplate. We have so much promise to be a team that can compete for a championship, and, in my view, Karaban is the catalyst to bring it all together for multiple years with Donovan. These guys coupled with alpha athlete wings and quality guards = potential. Karaban's commitment just has to happen

Ty Rogers is an excellent player that could make a difference but at best he is a longshot, and doesn't bring the 3 pt shot we need. A frontcourt Plan 'C',in the 2022 class doesn't seem likely. I'm sure Starling and Epps are capable players, but I'm not very high on either as being difference makers towards a championship. I've watched Starling 2 complete games and 5-6 other times when I was switching between games. His high ranking is a mystery to me. After Karaban, I'm hoping one of our 2023 targets will ultimately be able to reclass to 2022 next spring. For 2023 I love Stephon Castle, Gavin Griffith, Taylor Bol-Bowen, and Matis Buzelis, for the spots I expect open, and Isaiah Miranda if a 5th spot opens up.

I know there are some posters that love Starling. Given July commitments and evaluation, what are you hoping for now?
Really love reading your posts. Thank you.

But you really need a better marketing

Strategy.

Let the motley maniacal misfit members of

The Boneyard offer suggestions for your

headings. I’ll begin with the following:

Perhaps “Rocking Ricker’s Reflections”,

“Rick’s Picks”, “Ricker’s Debriefs”, Ricker’s

(Non Arby’s) Roasts”, “Ricker’s Risers”.

I know these are pitiful. Criticize them all

You want my fellow arrogant association

of donkey holes but show me something

better.

Ricker has proven worthy of our efforts.

Reaction Score
Epps committed to Illinois three weeks ago.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score

What's your outlook post, July?​

On vacation, will reply when I return.

Reaction Score
Really love reading your posts. Thank you.

But you really need a better marketing

Strategy.

Let the motley maniacal misfit members of

The Boneyard offer suggestions for your

headings. I’ll begin with the following:

Perhaps “Rocking Ricker’s Reflections”,

“Rick’s Picks”, “Ricker’s Debriefs”, Ricker’s

(Non Arby’s) Roasts”, “Ricker’s Risers”.

I know these are pitiful. Criticize them all

You want my fellow arrogant association

of donkey holes but show me something

better.

Ricker has proven worthy of our efforts.

Don't downplay “Rick’s Picks”. I think its solid.

Put me down for that. Rick’s Picks in the early lead.

Reaction Score
Screenshot_20210801-130759.png

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Glad it finally stopped raining all the time. August has been nice so far >>> July.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score

Nobody's gonna give you crap about Starling because (a) you've earned a ton of respect when it comes to spotting talent and (b) your analysis is based on watching him play 5+ times, not a 5-minute YouTube clip.

Based on what you're describing, he's a poor man's Brian Fair.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeaDr

Top Bottom