What You Would Like Each Player To Improve On | The Boneyard

What You Would Like Each Player To Improve On

Reaction Score
Everybody has strengths and weaknesses and we've talked about them at length. Guys like Gaffney can improve on his handle, shooting, aggressiveness etc. Martin can improve on his finishing. But to some extent these might be marginal improvements. My personal interest for improving our results is the guys with the greatest possible immediate upside. For that I'd like to see our coaches begin to run our offense through Jackson and Sanogo. Jackson will need to lock down his defense first, but if he can harness his ability to penetrate and draw players, and get a little more focused with his passing we could really feed the beast that Sanogo can become.

Yes we desperately need more perimeter production, but I feel like if those 2 can create a chemistry we can see the greatest gains on offense. Can Hurley adjust his mindset on this or do we continue what looks like an experiment every few minutes where the formula keeps radically changing within each game.

Reaction Score
Everybody has strengths and weaknesses and we've talked about them at length. Guys like Gaffney can improve on his handle, shooting, aggressiveness etc. Martin can improve on his finishing. But to some extent these might be marginal improvements. My personal interest for improving our results is the guys with the greatest possible immediate upside. For that I'd like to see our coaches begin to run our offense through Jackson and Sanogo. Jackson will need to lock down his defense first, but if he can harness his ability to penetrate and draw players, and get a little more focused with his passing we could really feed the beast that Sanogo can become.

Yes we desperately need more perimeter production, but I feel like if those 2 can create a chemistry we can see the greatest gains on offense. Can Hurley adjust his mindset on this or do we continue what looks like an experiment every few minutes where the formula keeps radically changing within each game.
Shooting
Shooting
Shooting

Reaction Score
Shooting. Less fouls. Free throws. Layups.

Everyone needs to be shooting 250 free throws every day this summer and the guards/wings need to be taking hundreds of 3's.

Reaction Score
Every player needs to take 2000 game shots every day from today til next season. The shooting was atrocious this season and if we improve their percentages even slightly we are a very dangerous team.

Reaction Score
Gaffney - The obvious answer is being assertive but that's a difficult thing to work on in the summer, so I'll go with finishing around the rim. He's not good at getting past his defender, but he's able to penetrate a little bit. But too often he's out of control and throwing up wild shots around the rim (41% FG% at the rim this year)

Cole - Not an easy thing to do, but develop a floater or something in between his mid range and layup. He can't keep driving and shooting at the rim in the middle of 2-3 defenders

Jackson - Shooting. Don't care if he becomes a good or even OK shooter, but just make the defense respect him to open up the driving lanes, and make the misses be there for a rebound with Springs and Sanogo

Martin - Finishing off putbacks on offensive rebounds. He had the most misses on shots at the rim this year, which is partly a factor of him having the most shots. Right now it seems like he's rushing things, take a second and go up strong, or kick it out to open shooters. Teams were forced to start sending guys in to get rebounds against us which leaves shooters open on the wings

Akok - mostly just get healthy at this point, but I'd like to see him get more involved on offense. He has a decent shot from 3, plenty of room for improvement there still. But too often he catches the ball with no plan other than passing it off immediately. That's not to say I want him shooting or dribbling more, but at least make the defense think he's doing something

Springs - TBD really since we've barely seen him, but just keep extending his range out. He seems to have a pretty good handle for his size, if the defense has to respect his jumper that'll open up driving lanes for him if you assume he'll be in the spots Whaley was this year

Sanogo - passing out of the post. His footwork and touch around the rim is fantastic already as a freshman, teams are going to need to double him in the post even more than they already have. He had a good pass to Whaley cutting on the first possession, I'd like to see more of that (and more players cutting to the basket next year as we have better fits and spacing on offense)

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeaDr

Top Bottom