What the FSU also meant to say. | The Boneyard

What the FSU also meant to say.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
"Not particularly, no," Florida State Board of Trustees Chairman Andy Haggard said of whether he would be in favor of the conference adding Connecticut and Rutgers. "But I would have to hear more about it. I'd have to see where Connecticut is, and Connecticut is playing good football right now, and where Rutgers is football wise, basketball wise, TV exposure, the elements of the country that they are in and all that.

"It certainly wouldn't be my pick but it wouldn't be my decision; it would be Swofford's and the ACC presidents. But I've heard a lot of backlash against Connecticut and Rutgers coming in because it would make us more of a basketball (conference) not a football (conference). That's what I get from fans, alumni, boosters and so forth."

He also meant to add "Because I just got Syracuse and Pitt rammed down my throat." Makes you wonder if FSU might look to the Big 12 (along with G Tech and V Tech) if spots open up in that league.

Reaction Score
I think he also meant to say "One reason we need to add football schools is that once again Florida State proved to be a paper tiger. I mean, did you see the way Wake smacked us around...Pitiful.. And if we bring in more Big East teams, they will continue to dominate the ACC just as they have since we brought those guys from BC and VaTech. Jeesh, since our last expansion, former Big East teams have been in almost every championship game and won most of them...Hell, we keep brining them in and we'll never see another major bowl game in our lifetimes."

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
I bet he wishes the ACC could have snagged Penn State way back when. Too late now.

Reaction Score
I think he also meant to say "One reason we need to add football schools is that once again Florida State proved to be a paper tiger. I mean, did you see the way Wake smacked us around...Pitiful.. And if we bring in more Big East teams, they will continue to dominate the ACC just as they have since we brought those guys from BC and VaTech. Jeesh, since our last expansion, former Big East teams have been in almost every championship game and won most of them...Hell, we keep brining them in and we'll never see another major bowl game in our lifetimes."
If the ACC wants to remain relevant in football, they can't bring anyone in other than ND and one other. Just can't. CT and RU are not going to win the ACC. Not a chance. All we do is dilute further. But the dilution is inevitable and happening quickly. Look at Miami and FSU. The ACC wants to adhere to certain "standards." That's fine. But "standards" don't win championships. Cheating does. Hate to say it, but that's the facts. America loves a winner, and we don't care how you get there, as long as you don't get caught. Ohio State, USC, Miami, we love a winner. SEC, SEC, SEC!!!

Reaction Score
If the ACC wants to remain relevant in football, they can't bring anyone in other than ND and one other. Just can't. CT and RU are not going to win the ACC. Not a chance. All we do is dilute further. But the dilution is inevitable and happening quickly. Look at Miami and FSU. The ACC wants to adhere to certain "standards." That's fine. But "standards" don't win championships. Cheating does. Hate to say it, but that's the facts. America loves a winner, and we don't care how you get there, as long as you don't get caught. Ohio State, USC, Miami, we love a winner. SEC, SEC, SEC!!!

I don't expect to "never" win the ACC if we are there. There is no example you can give me that shows that UConn, when supported by the administration, can't win at anything. We have the facilities and we win in everything we play. Where we might need to turn to win is the question. Mike Leach could win the ACC with UConn, so could a guy like George O'Leary. The thing is, will UConn take some chances and pay some money to win in football? I don't know if we are willing to take the path one would have to in order to win the ACC from Storrs, but I sure as hell know there are ways it can be done. I also think that with a really solid QB, we could have won the ACC last year.

Reaction Score

Couldn't disagree with you more. We weren't supposed to win the BE and BE teams have done quite well vs the ACC and as additions. Nothing but speculation on your part. I'm sure we'd be happy to schedule FSU for a home-and-home the next couple of seasons. Interested?

Reaction Score
You are right that the ACC has a couple of names and in college football that is absolutely worth something. But the reality is that the Big East has always had better football. Want evidence? Since the last big East raid, the BE refugees have played in every ACC title game but 1. Twice, both teams were former Big East members. so I don't buy that UCONN could never win the ACC. In reality, the ACc ain't that good.

Reaction Score
If BC can make it to the ACC Championship twice, one game from winning the ACC championship, then why the heck couldn't UConn. Don't speak in absolutes because anything can happen. When I was watching Dom Perno's teams get crushed years ago who would have thunk that UConn would have 3 NC in hoops 25 years later.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
Maybe Haggard needs to pay more attention to what is going on inn college sports.

At least he said one that was right:
"It certainly wouldn't be my pick but it wouldn't be my decision; it would be Swofford's and the ACC presidents."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom