OT: - What sports don't catch your interest? | Page 5 | The Boneyard

OT: What sports don't catch your interest?

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Cornhole tournaments. The name makes me laugh if you have a dirty mind.

I would say soccer and lacrosse but my granddaughters who are proficient at both would first kick me in the shin and then whack me with a stick. They are good at hoops but like playing these other sports better.

Are NASCAR and pro wrestling actual sports?

Reaction Score
Never played paddle but I’d drive by the courts at a club in Darien (Woodway?) coming home from the bar at 1am and there would be people playing out there in sub-arctic temps. Had a little club house in the middle of the courts with a TV on and it struck me that it might be kinda cool to hang out, have a few drinks and a cigar with the boys after paddle when I got older. But now that I’m older, I’m usually asleep by 10pm most nights…

If I recall correctly, enclosed paddle tennis courts had a very tacky gritty surface to minimize slips and falls in a very small court area, however what that sudden stopping also did was to cause a lot of torn ACL’s, torn Achilles, bloody scrapes when someone did fall, etc. Pickleball is similar except it doesn’t have the fenced in enclosure. Both are ridiculously silly sports that are also dangerous, with players running in short spurts, sudden stopping and turning on a much smaller court with basically a super sized ping pong paddle instead of a racquet, all because 95% of active people young and old who have attempted tennis find mastering the serve in tennis is extraordinarily difficult, so instead of educating them on how to serve like a pro with that spin and whip like action, some genius tried inventing a tennis like sport that does away with the tennis serve. Actually the tennis serve is very easy once the light bulb goes on in the head of someone learning tennis. I taught tennis for several years and there is a foolproof way of teaching a tennis serve in a way where the student discovers the secret themselves and not from just watching the tennis instructor. I mean if it was that easy then everyone would be serving like Roger Federer or John McEnroe, but it actually is.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Any women’s sport….except skiing (because they are sooo skilled and I wish I could ski like that) and beach volleyball because….

Reaction Score
If myself and 3 friends tried to play tennis inside my 2 car garage or my basement, or a standard sized High School classroom I’d imagine we all would have some serious injuries at some point. Lol
Not kidding about this, but if your garage doesn't have small glass windows in the front(is solid wood throughout), you can stand in your driveway and it should be enough room for you or maybe one friend to hit the ball against the garage and when it rebounds back, you or your friend can hit it back against the garage.

I did it by myself during the pandemic. Problem was, that I overdid and unwittingly, spotted up some latent arthritis in the shoulders and made it symptomatic.

Senior moments for me. I had no idea it would happen but just wanted to have a good time.

I also put some interlocking foam tiles and did wall ball in my basement hitting the ball against a concrete wall. I could have done this with another person.

If your shoulders are solid, should not be a problem.

Reaction Score
Both are fun to play.
I think some people in this thread are confusing fun to play with fun to watch. I played pickleball at an outing and thoroughly enjoyed it. I actually enjoyed watching at this outing because I was watching people I was competing against. Would I enjoy watching random people I don't know playing on TV? No.

Reaction Score
Soccer, WNBA and NBA (although I am interested on how former Huskies are doing there). Baseball too (except for the playoffs and WS)

Reaction Score
I'll watch just about anything except for NASCAR. My favorites are college basketball especially MBB, football, baseball and hockey. I limit golf and tennis to major events and most soccer is national team related. I enjoy baseball so much that in the past few weeks I attended my local HS playoff game, UCF softball and a few D1 baseball tournament games. NBA is usually limited until playoffs.

Reaction Score
Any women’s sport….except skiing (because they are sooo skilled and I wish I could ski like that) and beach volleyball because….
I take your women’s beach volleyball and raise you women’s 10m platform divers.

Reaction Score
I love sports and can enjoy just about all of them except Golf (with exceptions) and sports I just can’t understand the rules of like cricket

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
They recently aired axe throwing. Guys throwing axes dead center every time. Yawn.
I played a gig at a festival in Wakefield RI yesterday. They had a mobile axe throwing cage.10 bucks for 3 throws. They let me throw a few for free because I was working there, I missed by a mile and the couple I got near the target didn’t stick because I have no clue of how to throw an axe. Never thought about doing it, but this afternoon, I pulled a regular one out of my shed ( which I don’t know why I have, I don’t do any outdoor work) and started throwing at a tree in backyard. Still never came close to sticking one and now my shoulder hurts. Going to try again tomorrow though. I’m determined.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
...and sports I just can’t understand the rules of like cricket
I like cricket these days and it wasn't too long ago when I didn't have a clue. It's confusing to start but really isn't that complicated. I'm going to a Cricket World Cup match next week.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
I like cricket these days and it wasn't too long ago when I didn't have a clue. It's confusing to start but really isn't that complicated. I'm going to a Cricket World Cup match next week.
It's actually kinda fun to play. We knew a South African couple who put together pickup games occasionally. I even tried my hand bowling (I was a baseball pitcher and could use both velocity and spin). It's pretty simple to understand the goal there, get the ball past the batter and knock the wood pieces off the top of the stumps ("breaking the wicket"). I still do not understand the scoring, other than runs. But the batting part gets really fun as there's no such thing as a foul ball. I enjoyed myself playing, and got an MCL for my efforts.

Reaction Score
What type of axe? smaller ones similar to hatchets you throw one-handed, or the double-bladed long-handled ones that you throw two-handed in an overhead toss like a soccer throw-in? The big ones are more fun... and I have tried that at a "practice range", years ago wayy up in the northeast part of CA, lumber country. Said practice range consisted of a LARGE tree trunk section, tipped on its side with a target painted on it. The bullseye is hollowed out so that a full beer can can be placed in it... NOT during practice, that's a waste of beer.

During the contest at the county fair, that's where they load the target up. If a thrower nails the beer-can bullseye, WHOOOOOOSH!

Like any other sport, I wasn't good at it, but I did hit the target occasionally and even made it stick a few times. Of course, I was being coached by the county champion on just how to set up and throw. Makes a big difference.

Geez, I hadn't thought about that in a longgggggg time... I think it was in the 70's.

Reaction Score
I played a gig at a festival in Wakefield RI yesterday. They had a mobile axe throwing cage.10 bucks for 3 throws. They let me throw a few for free because I was working there, I missed by a mile and the couple I got near the target didn’t stick because I have no clue of how to throw an axe. Never thought about doing it, but this afternoon, I pulled a regular one out of my shed ( which I don’t know why I have, I don’t do any outdoor work) and started throwing at a tree in backyard. Still never came close to sticking one and now my shoulder hurts. Going to try again tomorrow though. I’m determined.

Where were you in Wakefield? Wish I had known I’m down here in South Kingstown RI/Wakefield most every weekend would’ve swung by.

Reaction Score
Lacrosse is for entitled rich kids. Zzzzzzzzz.
When I was in high school (50 years ago) we always said lacrosse was for the kids who couldn’t play baseball. Still feel that way. Plus the attitude… they were in love with the way they handled their sticks.

Reaction Score
Probably Sono or coming home from softball at Calf Pasture. I lived on Hope St so I’d jump on Rt 7 and take the Merritt to avoid late night I95 roadwork.
Could it have been the old Jimme’s Seaside? I used to hang out there 35+ years ago.

Reaction Score
As a kid I used to love those logging games that would air sometimes on ESPN. Who can saw the fastest, who can scale a tree the fastest, who can chop a tree down the fastest.
I went to one of those events (not on ESPN, but a local circuit event) last year -- the one where they run along a log while carrying a live chainsaw was something.

Reaction Score
Lacrosse wasn’t being played in Meriden ever so in the mid 70s I thought it was for preppies only. It’s actually a pretty cool game that I think I would’ve liked, some skill and some physicality but not better than baseball and basketball. It was always known as a preppy game but I get it, I don’t hate it.

dvegas

Duck Fuke
Reaction Score
Could it have been the old Jimme’s Seaside? I used to hang out there 35+ years ago.
Lay off the bottle or substances. Jimmy's Seaside was no where near those spots, and as well known for powders as liquids :p

Reaction Score
I wish I like soccer...the workd can't be wrong right? But I can't get into it.

I like just about everything else.
Not a soccer fan either...will watch the World Cup as long as there's that "Miracle on ice"-like possibility for the US, then I'm usually out

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
macklin

Top Bottom