What player(s) are you most looking forward to seeing on the court this season? | The Boneyard

What player(s) are you most looking forward to seeing on the court this season?

What player are you most looking forward to seeing on the court - to see what they can do?

• Christyn

• Olivia

• Evina

• Aubrey

• Anna

• Paige

• Aaliyah

• Nika

• Mir

• Piath

• Autumn

Results are only viewable after voting.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
I don't mean "who will be the best", but rather "who do you want to watch most to see how much they have improved or what they can do"?

Paige is probably one of the most anticipated freshmen ever to suit up, and some of us probably have a good idea what to expect out of her, but are there others you are looking forward to seeing what they can do more?

You can vote for 3 - I did it this way in case everyone felt 1 player was their #1 choice - to see who else fans are really looking forward to seeing what they can do.

And by the way, I totally get that most fans can't wait to see ALL the players on the floor, but that's not the point of the poll...

HuskylnSC

North is a direction; South is a lifestyle
Reaction Score
I've seen enough Paige videos to have an idea what to expect. Christyn is expected to perform at an AA level. The anticipation of Evina returning to top form. The rebuilt Anna Makarat will be another highlight machine. A muscular and confident Olivia will change the whole attitude of the team. Aubrey and MIr flying around the court causing havoc sounds exhilarating. Nika looks and plays like the second coming of Sue Bird. But the one for me is Aaliyah. I fully expect her to set a defensive tone that will remind us of her Canadian cohort Kia. I expect her to be an offensive rebounding force and a type of power player we haven't seen since Tina. Olivia will prosper greatly with Aaliyah by her side.

Reaction Score
1. Edwards - Shes the first recruit outside of ONO to have height since Stewart. This board has griped about the need for post players since Stewie left, and if Edwards is as good as advertised, she will provide Uconn with an interior presence that we haven't had in a while. We've been playing undersized bigs (Gabby, Walker) for a while. An ONO and Edwards tandem can size wise match up with most if not all teams.

2. Bueckers- By virtue of the hype, I am intrigued. She is the first recruit since Stewart that has me optimistic about being a NPOY candidate during her career.

3. Makurat- She quickly became my favorite player on last years roster. Hearing about Evina's shooting makes me confident Makurat will start. She is our best shooter, a dynamic passer, and a smart player. If her shooting remains around 45%, she should be a top 3 scorer.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Evina, Paige, Aaliyah with Nika a close runner up. They are the future.

Reaction Score
The three I'm most curious to see play are Aubrey, Mir and Nika. Aubrey because she has such a fun game to watch but was very much a helter skelter freshman last year. Has she matured enough to harness her talent? Mir and Nika are sort of the mystery twins to me. I suspect one or both can turn into a really good starter. Will either one be ready to play well this year?

Reaction Score
I chose Aubrey (I should’ve read the post saying we could pick three first lol) because she had the greatest growth potential from last year—primarily because she was a freshman with flashes of brilliance, but not a whole lot of consistency nor much of a jump shot. Of course I’m excited to see some UConn WBB again (as I always am), but she would be the one I’m most excited to see. I hope we’ll get to see Piath, Mir, and Autumn in games early on to see if they have the potential (I mean come on, they’re at UConn we know they have at least SOME potential) to get some minutes beyond cleanup time.

Reaction Score
1. Edwards - Shes the first recruit outside of ONO to have height since Stewart. This board has griped about the need for post players since Stewie left, and if Edwards is as good as advertised, she will provide Uconn with an interior presence that we haven't had in a while. We've been playing undersized bigs (Gabby, Walker) for a while. An ONO and Edwards tandem can size wise match up with most if not all teams.

2. Bueckers- By virtue of the hype, I am intrigued. She is the first recruit since Stewart that has me optimistic about being a NPOY candidate during her career.

3. Makurat- She quickly became my favorite player on last years roster. Hearing about Evina's shooting makes me confident Makurat will start. She is our best shooter, a dynamic passer, and a smart player. If her shooting remains around 45%, she should be a top 3 scorer.

KLS is 6'3". We forget that UConn had 5's shorter than her.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
I voted for Christyn, Anna and Aaliyah.

Christyn: Last season was disappointing in every respect. She has all the tools and is capable of playing so much better. Most importantly, Christyn was very disappointed in how she performed. She spent the off-season working on her fitness and finding her voice. She seems poised to have the type of season we expected.

Anna also spent the off-season improving her nutrition and becoming more fit. With a year under her belt I expect big things from Anna.

Aaliyah: To paraphrase Doris Burke, she has a college-ready body. Hell, she has a pro-ready body. The length of her arms should allow her to play bigger (like Napheesa). ONO will have help on the boards.

Reaction Score
All the freshman, but for three, Paige, Aaliyah, and Nika. The rest of the team is far more known, but I suspect of the returnees Aubrey would be the obvious choice as the player with the greatest chance to make a quantum leap this year.

Like with South Carolina's big recruiting class last year, one star studded class means at worst you will probably a contender for four years even with modest recruiting success in the following years. If you follow it up well, then you are right there knocking on the door. Our future for the next four years is highly related to whether this class is as good as we expect.

Reaction Score
I just have a feeling that Nika is the one to watch. She has strong fundamentals with sharp shooting, quick decision making, defensive alertness and accurate passing skills. Our international players are going to shine, along side of a really skilled group of Americans. I can see Uconn running every other team off the court.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I voted for 3. I'm actually eager to see all of them. I didn't vote for Aaliyah, Paige, Evina, or Christyn, because I have a good sense of what they can do.

Liv: This is her season to take a big leap and become a dominant player in every game. I want to see her stronger and tougher and owning the paint. I hope to see her channel her inner Jamelle.

Aubrey: She has the genes and desire. She just needs to learn some more and become assertive. Geno says she's 100x better. Have you seen her brother play? He's Zion Williamson less 50 pounds. She can take games over on either end.

Nika: She is really good and Badass. She challenges the best recruit in several years to one-on-one after practice. She also plays with a flair and energy, maybe even more than Paige. For people who haven't been paying attention, she'll shock them.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Aaliyah: To paraphrase Doris Burke, she has a college-ready body. Hell, she has a pro-ready body. The length of her arms should allow her to play bigger (like Napheesa). ONO will have help on the boards.

When I look at Aaliyah's physique, I see a young combo of Napheesa Collier and Alyssa Thomas.

Reaction Score
I picked Evina, Nika, and Aaliyah. Paige is the obvious choice but I've seen a lot of film and already am confident she will be good. I'm interested how healthy Evina will be and whether my intuition on Nika and Aaliyah is true. I think they are really going to shock people while most people have been focused on Paige. Reminds me a bit about Kia Nurse. I don't think she got much of any freshman buzz and by what game 4 she was the starting SG and the rest was history.

Reaction Score
I've seen enough Paige videos to have an idea what to expect. Christyn is expected to perform at an AA level. The anticipation of Evina returning to top form. The rebuilt Anna Makarat will be another highlight machine. A muscular and confident Olivia will change the whole attitude of the team. Aubrey and MIr flying around the court causing havoc sounds exhilarating. Nika looks and plays like the second coming of Sue Bird. But the one for me is Aaliyah. I fully expect her to set a defensive tone that will remind us of her Canadian cohort Kia. I expect her to be an offensive rebounding force and a type of power player we haven't seen since Tina. Olivia will prosper greatly with Aaliyah by her side.
KLS is 6'3". We forget that UConn had 5's shorter than her.
But she also didn’t rebound much

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Aaliyah, Nika and Paige. I know some will say why Paige because we have so much tape on her. I see the team being built around what she can do, so her importance is second to none. Aaliyah for the game changer she can be at both ends. Nika because she can compliment Paige and if they both get out there we might see something rather special. I really wanted to add a pared down Anna. If she improves over last year she'll have a lot of people smiling.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
Not a lot of love for Olivia in the votes so far, or in the comments above. I agree with the one poster who said that she is the key to how far the 2021 team goes. Will she be Dawanna Bonner minus the 3-point shot? That would be the realistic ceiling, I believe, and it would make UConn an NC contender. Or will she still be the foul-prone, push-aroundable ONO of the first two years? I am hoping for the former, obviously, and I'm cautiously optimistic that is what we will see.

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
Really want to see Liv. I think she had a good leap coming into last season and if she has continued to improve this offseason, she could be the dominating big that I hope all of us are expecting. Plus she should have some help in and around the post, both offensively and defensively.

Reaction Score
I am excited to see what every single player on our rooster brings this season and anticipating some great team chemistry. My impression is that we will be see a really fast paced, terrific ball movement, locked down defensive squad with lots a players getting decent minutes. I think Geno will play more players for significant minutes this season than any I can remember because there will be so many proving in practice, day in and day out, that they deserve to be on the court. I believe that these guys are all team first players and will play their hearts out every second they are on the court. If all the above comes to pass, this will be a team that is a tremendous joy to watch, a killer to their opponents and the epitome of what UCONN WCBB is at its best. Can you tell that I am excited about this group of players?

I really think all our returning players are going to step their play up from last season and believe we have exceptional talent and potential in all our new guys. A huge key for me when I think of what defines Huskies bball is great ball movement - players constantly moving without the ball, fast accurate passing to find the open player, anticipating the pass and solid finishing both inside and out. I think this team has all the pieces to run a great fast paced offensive and a pesky and lockdown defense. So the three I will be watching as the season starts are Evina, Paige and Nika to see if each of them, and/or any combination at times, can have the court vision, bball IQ, skills and trust of their teammates and coaching staff to direct that type of offense and the tenacity to disrupt our opponents in running their offenses.

Reaction Score
ONO because she is still literally and figuratively the key to whether this team has NC potential.
Agree, hoping for a Tina Charles type of Jr year. That by playing at the next level which with hard work and maturity I think she is capable of. Tough question or poll to answer actually as in Geno we trust. We will see who has learned and earned PT.
Would have been nice to have a couple exhibitions and see them all but I'll take what we can get this year.

Reaction Score
I chose Olivia, Anna, and Paige! Olivia will, to a greater degree than any other player, (imo) determine whether we have a “good” team or the beginning of another dynasty! If she plays at an All-American level (and maintains it against the good teams) I believe we are a strong favorite to win it all! I chose Anna because a. I like her. She was imo either the best or second best player we had at the end of last season. I believe that after the oft-cited 0 for America beginning, she shot above 40% for threes. She has transformed her body and her nutrition habits, and is acclimated to being at UCONN now and I think she is going to blow everyone away this year!

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
Not a lot of love for Olivia in the votes so far....

I'm not sure that the paucity of votes for Olivia is a lack of love.
Rather a quiet confidence by the board that she will have added to her game (as she apparently has to her physique) and will have an outstanding season.

Like wise, (speaking for myself), I'm penciling in Paige as a super-start in waiting and not voting for her either...

Less known and with so much chatter surrounding them are Nika and Alliyah get my first two votes with my last vote a tie between Evina (How good... and how healthy is she?) and Aubrey (did we just see the tip of the iceberg, last season)?

But I certainly respect other views...

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
I voted for Aubrey, Aaliyah and Paige

In my opinion. these are the players which may be the most exciting combined with the question of exactly how high their ceiling is this year fully expecting them to be major factors.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom