What is it between UTenn & FoxSports/AP? | The Boneyard

What is it between UTenn & FoxSports/AP?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Actually it's an AP story that Fox picked up. There are more LV fans around the country than any other team, especially across the bible belt.

It does seem like every preseason we read about the "new closeness" on the LV team in contrast to the previous year. Same story for the last 5 years. By now they should be holding hands 24/7. LOL

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
Alydar is correct, there are a lot of LV fans, plus the media probably still has perceptions from the Tennessee glory days.

I also suspect the school's PR department plays a part; I linked a story from ESPN about Arizona players getting etiquette training at a nearby steakhouse. If you want a conspiracy theory the Arizona head coach is Naya Butts that played at Tennessee and she said the Lady Vols went through this.

Ozzie Nelson

RIP, Ozzie
Reaction Score
For me, the story simply confirms what all know...poor team unity at UT. Nothing puff about that.

pinotbear

Silly Ol' Bear
Reaction Score
Actually it's an AP story that Fox picked up. There are more LV fans around the country than any other team, especially across the bible belt.

It does seem like every preseason we read about the "new closeness" on the LV team in contrast to the previous year. Same story for the last 5 years. By now they should be holding hands 24/7. LOL

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
''I don't think we were as close as we could have been, and I think that really hurt us down the stretch,'' junior forward Cierra Burdick said. ''Unfortunately, I feel like if we would have been closer as a team in the past, we could have gone to those Final Fours.''

I'm sure that the two graduated players, Williams and Spani, appreciate these comments.

And they would have won the elite eight games if they were "closer"? What a crock. How about shooting better?

Reaction Score
I'm anxious to see how they will work rope climbing into the season. Is that an offensive or defensive strategy?

U

UCONNfan1

''I don't think we were as close as we could have been, and I think that really hurt us down the stretch,'' junior forward Cierra Burdick said. ''Unfortunately, I feel like if we would have been closer as a team in the past, we could have gone to those Final Fours.''

I'm sure that the two graduated players, Williams and Spani, appreciate these comments.

And they would have won the elite eight games if they were "closer"? What a crock. How about shooting better?
I think there is something to be said about poor chemistry. I'm not saying those teams could have made final 4's - they lost to better teams at the time, but if there are bad feelings between players, feelings that players are ball hogs, or more concerned about personal stats, or increasing their draft stock, or whatever... I can see how that would cause hard feelings and negatively impact the team chemistry.

If you are a post player and feel a guard was Miss Chuck-A-Buck, and not feeding the post enough when you are open, it does zero to improve chemistry.

I think it's unfortunate that they feel the need to make such a big deal over team building exercises. UCONN players just spend time together, play together, live together, and coach takes them places together. To jump up and down and say "yes, we are doing a ton of team building to improve chemistry" indicates something is lacking.

Maybe it's not recruiting team players in the first place, maybe it's something else. But it's clear there are problems if they have to make such a production of this solution.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
I think there is something to be said about poor chemistry.
Particularly with female teams. They pretty much have to like each other.

I think it's unfortunate that they feel the need to make such a big deal over team building exercises. UCONN players just spend time together, play together, live together, and coach takes them places together. To jump up and down and say "yes, we are doing a ton of team building to improve chemistry" indicates something is lacking.
But it's clear there are problems if they have to make such a production of this solution.
On the other hand at least they recognize the problem and are trying to do something about it.

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
yea, I believe chemistry is so important, much more so than etiquette - at least when you are playing games, not sitting at table.
The UConn teams have almost always had great chemistry - and the mens' teams that won championships as well.

Baylor I believe broke down because of a lack of this especially in their last game against Louisville.

Scoring points had a lot to do with confidence, and one way that confidence can be built up if you know your team has your back - and passes you the ball. Tennessee, from what I saw of them last year showed little trust in each other, and that's why you saw Simmons (for example) throwing up so many shots instead of stepping back and setting up plays. I felt really bad for players like Glory Johnson (from the previous year) and Bashaara Graves, because they brought it every game but most of the rest of the team was not with them.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
We just had a three year lesson in chemistry from a certain team to the north that just won a championship. I do think it is a huge consideration in team sport and it really isn't about liking teammates off the field/court, but respecting them on. WCBB teams often talk about summer European trips as a bonding experience, outdoor retreats, or off site gatherings are often used by teams (and companies), so I don't knock the practice. And I think it is harder when management/staff has had a major transition to maintain unity of purpose - you have the pre and post change folks that might have slightly different perspectives/expectations - so TN with their recent transition is probably ripe for that kind of experience.

bschwartz

Popular Im-Poster
Reaction Score
Let them get all the coverage in the world...make them feel nice and comfortable. All the more ripe for the picking.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
Its very apparent to me that Tenn coaches, players, and fans have no idea where they are as a team. The remarks starting with Burdick and the Tenn Coach who voted Tenn over UConn in the polls well that tells me theyre living in a fantasy world. IMO Tenn is a top 10 team and not a top 5 team. I would rank them 6-10. Now with their schedule they may be higher in the polls because of their weak schedule. They didn't play like a team last season and they lost their senior leadership. They lost a bunch of games they shouldn't have and the reason for that is they don't know how to play as a team. Burdicks remarks make me realize she doesn't understand this is not high school where you can out talent opponets. In college you cant beat a good college team with just talent. I feel sorry for them because they will play a schedule that they should run through except for ND and Stanford and once again they will think theyre really good only to stuggle in the NCAAs.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
Its very apparent to me that Tenn coaches, players, and fans have no idea where they are as a team. The remarks starting with Burdick and the Tenn Coach who voted Tenn over UConn in the polls well that tells me theyre living in a fantasy world. IMO Tenn is a top 10 team and not a top 5 team. I would rank them 6-10. Now with their schedule they may be higher in the polls because of their weak schedule. They didn't play like a team last season and they lost their senior leadership. They lost a bunch of games they shouldn't have and the reason for that is they don't know how to play as a team. Burdicks remarks make me realize she doesn't understand this is not high school where you can out talent opponets. In college you cant beat a good college team with just talent. I feel sorry for them because they will play a schedule that they should run through except for ND and Stanford and once again they will think theyre really good only to stuggle in the NCAAs.
We have no idea who voted for Tennessee as number one.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
We have no idea who voted for Tennessee as number one.
I thought I read on post on here somewhere that it was an LV coach who voted for Tenn.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
I thought I read on post on here somewhere that it was an LV coach who voted for Tenn.
No, it was conjecture. Taking that and posting it as fact makes us all look bad.

Reaction Score
And the trend continues. Here's yet another AP story linked closely to UT. This one is about how the SEC -- "a conference that considers itself the nation's best" -- has been "humbled" because no team has been to the Final Four since 2008. And, of course, the story prominently touts UT, saying the LVs "may have the best chance of reversing that trend" this year.

http://msn.foxsports.com/wcbk/story/SEC-wants-to-end-recent-absence-from-Final-Four-19175364

Reaction Score
And every year the Cowboys are given a great shot at the SB. The media hypes many teams in many sports. The Duke men's team is another example. They have made it to an early season No 1 ranking several times in the last several years and by the time March rolls around they start to fade, despite a team full of HS AA's. Of course the popularity of the Cowboys and the close financial relationship ESPN has with the Duke program has nothing to do with it. :rolleyes:

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
I have Tenn 7 and with their easy schedule if they lose more then one game they should be ranked accordingly. UConns new conference schedule is not really all that tuff. They play teams like Tenn will face in the SEC. However UConns ooc schedule is tops over every other team. That's why UConn is on TV so much more then any other team.

Phil

Stats Geek
Reaction Score
Someone needs to teach Graves how to count.

She said "'Not having a team get to a Final Four in the last couple of years is kind of eye-opening a little bit"

Couple? Try five.

Number of SEC teams at the Final Four in last five years? Zero.

And while, yes, I know the football powers blew up the Big East, how did the Big East do over that period?

Nine teams at the FF. Nine versus zero.

For the numerically challenged, Nine is more than zero.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
The SEC has featured a group of good - not great - teams; Tennessee, Georgia, Vanderbilt, South Carolina, Kentucky, LSU and Texas A&M come to mind. Not as strong at the top as the old BE, but almost certainly would have been contesting for 3rd place in our old conference if they were in it. Florida and Missouri are not the train-wrecks that Mississippi, Mississippi State, Auburn and Alabama have been lately. They were right with the bottom 4 in the BE I think, although of course the conference is smaller.

I am conflicted with Arkansas - I think they are well coached but playing Kansas as your best OOC team (and only BCS conference opponent) leads to gaudy records until crushed by the middle of the SEC.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
1, Tony, you can't believe anything you read on here. 2) the LV coach does not even have a vote.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom