What are you binge watching? | Page 58 | The Boneyard

What are you binge watching?

Reaction Score
You're gonna laugh at this, but I have a friend with insomnia who told me they had been up lately late night (or early morning) watching Leave it to Beaver reruns.

I used to love that show as a kid and started binging it. I'm gonna tell you what. The writing is really funny and sharp and both Beav and Wally have comedic chops! I am really enjoying it and find myself LOL'ing a couple times an episode.
Indeed. While not Leave it to Beaver, we stayed in a resort in Mexico in 2022, I think, and they had a channel out of NJ that was nothing but really old sitcoms. Writing was solid in all of them. I think we've covered Hogans Heroes here, but I don't remember all of them. One was Green Acres. Gotta try and track that station down and see if I can get it here in the states

Reaction Score
My wife and I watched "Dear Child" on Netflix, she read the book a while ago and talked me into it..

Legit the most disturbing thing I've probably ever seen, there's a scene in the finale that still bothers me a little bit.

It's like a waaaaaaaaaaaay more messed up version of "Room"

Only drawback is that it's German, and instead of reshooting it, they just dubbed English over it.

If you can get past that, it's very worth it.

Reaction Score
Here's an interesting one as well... My daughter recently discovered Sex and the City. She doesn't have a TV, so she was coming over and watching at our place. Holds up really well for hte most part. Characters that were bordering on annoying still are, but its amazing how far ahead of its time it was. Ironic thing is that some if it comes off as more annoying now because every other damn show these days is trying to be Sex and the City and failing miserably

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
I was actually thinking about watching it as well. I may give the first one a shot to see how it holds up.
I might still pick and choose a few episodes to watch, but just not sitting thru the whole thing. Or half of it. Or probably not a quarter.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Anybody watching "One Piece" on Netflix? Live action adaptation of an anime series. I watched the first episode a week ago or so, wasn't sure about it, but tried a couple more last night. Kinda enjoying it. It's strange tonally. It's goofy, yet fairly violent, and not in a Bugs Bunny/Road Runner kind of way. Never seen the anime, so had no familiarity with it going in. It appears it's the rarest of things--an adaptation of an anime that the fans actually like.

Reaction Score
Yellowstone
I'm ripping through Yellowstone. I have this tendency to notice something annoying and then it bothers me to no end. Kevin Costner in Yellowstone just might be a coke addict because all he does is sniff. Constant sniffles. Similar to Tom Selleck in Blue Bloods. Tom's fall back acting ability is to exhale through his nose. One big sigh, that one. I notice those annoying habits and it overshadows everything else.

Reaction Score
Anybody watching "One Piece" on Netflix? Live action adaptation of an anime series. I watched the first episode a week ago or so, wasn't sure about it, but tried a couple more last night. Kinda enjoying it. It's strange tonally. It's goofy, yet fairly violent, and not in a Bugs Bunny/Road Runner kind of way. Never seen the anime, so had no familiarity with it going in. It appears it's the rarest of things--an adaptation of an anime that the fans actually like.

I knew nothing about it other than the watching the trailer, but I breezed through it and definitely enjoyed it. Agree about the tone. I was a big fan of Monkey D. Luffy’s character :D

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Watched the first two episodes of "Lessons in Chemistry" (AppleTV). One on hand, I'm really enjoying it, primarily because of how Bree Larson's character deals with her professional situation. OTOH, I'm also annoyed that a show that's set in the early-mid 50s has a white male lead who appears oblivious to things like racial and sexual discrimination because he's fixated on his work. That's simply unrealistic.

Other than that, it's intelligently written, moves crisply, has smart dialogue, and the chemistry between the two leads works.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I'm working my way through Obi-Wan Kenobi. It started out pretty good but there are some very distracting departures from Canaan. For example the fact that a 10-year-old Leia was rescued from certain death by Obi-Wan Kenobi seems like some thing she would've mentioned to him when they met each other again. Instead she says in her message "you served my father in the clone wars". It seems like she would've said something like you saved my life against all odds or something similar given this new backstory.

Similarly the fact that
Darth Vader totally manhandles Obi-Wan Kenobi seems inconsistent with his statement right before their dual in a new Hope where he says "when we last met you were the master and I was but the student, but now I am the master". You think he'd say something like a kick your ass last time Kenobi and I'm going to do it again

Other than that, it's OK I really don't like how they portray a Kenobi as fearful and tentative.

Reaction Score
Yellowstone
I'm ripping through Yellowstone. I have this tendency to notice something annoying and then it bothers me to no end. Kevin Costner in Yellowstone just might be a coke addict because all he does is sniff. Constant sniffles. Similar to Tom Selleck in Blue Bloods. Tom's fall back acting ability is to exhale through his nose. One big sigh, that one. I notice those annoying habits and it overshadows everything else.
I don't want to throw any spoilers out there but Will Patton has entered the fray. Will Patton was a main character in a movie starring Kevin Costner back in the late '80's. Kind of a strange actor, Will Patton. He's had some roles which I wouldn't have thought he'd play, like in Gone in 60 Seconds or Armageddon.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Gen V. One episode in, from the people who make The Boys. In the same fictional world as the Boys, but follows college aged “supes”. So far, pretty good, The same coarse, brash approach to things but it does a good job at ripping the veneer off of celebrity in the general sense.

Reaction Score
Almost finished with Season 2 of The Wheel of Time on Amazon. Season 2 definitely seems like an improvement over Season 1, even though they did swap out one of the main actors which can often be confusing. I am a huge fan of the books and go into the series with a lot of good will. They've made some significant deviations from the books, which I'm OK with if they pay off. Still waiting to see how that plays out.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Almost finished with Season 2 of The Wheel of Time on Amazon. Season 2 definitely seems like an improvement over Season 1, even though they did swap out one of the main actors which can often be confusing. I am a huge fan of the books and go into the series with a lot of good will. They've made some significant deviations from the books, which I'm OK with if they pay off. Still waiting to see how that plays out.
Who did they swap out? The main actors all seem the same. I finished it this week and agree Season 2 is much better. I was actually looking forward to each new episode.

Reaction Score
Who did they swap out? The main actors all seem the same. I finished it this week and agree Season 2 is much better. I was actually looking forward to each new episode.
I'm not 100% sure of the reasoning, but they re-cast Mat for Season 2. Mat is probably my favorite character from the books, but I feel he's been underused in the TV series so far.

1660267636_DonalFinncastingnews.png.0132e9ffff31f51ce88fffa7c4291acc.png

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
I'm not 100% sure of the reasoning, but they re-cast Mat for Season 2. Mat is probably my favorite character from the books, but I feel he's been underused in the TV series so far.

View attachment 92246
New guy is actually better in my opinion. Maybe that's why they changed? He'll start playing a bigger role in later episodes.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
I just started watching Bodies on Netflix. The premise is that 4 London detectives in different years (1890, 1941, 2023, and 2053) find the same naked body in the same location in different years. I gather the limited series is based on a DC comic book. So far, it’s pretty good. The four detectives all have distinct, and very different, personalities which makes it more interesting. I’m not sure if it’s a time travel series or what yet - when I think I know what’s going to happen, the show veers into an unexpected direction. I hope Bodies can keep up the suspense all the way through 8 episodes

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
I just started watching Bodies on Netflix. The premise is that 4 London detectives in different years (1890, 1941, 2023, and 2053) find the same naked body in the same location in different years. I gather the limited series is based on a DC comic book. So far, it’s pretty good. The four detectives all have distinct, and very different, personalities which makes it more interesting. I’m not sure if it’s a time travel series or what yet - when I think I know what’s going to happen, the show veers into an unexpected direction. I hope Bodies can keep up the suspense all the way through 8 episodes
Looking forward to this one. The Brits just do this stuff better.

Reaction Score
Watching "House of Usher" on netflix, very similar style to the director's other netflix mini series, "Midnight Mass", "Haunting of Hill House", "Bly Manor." The series is based on the Edgar Allen Poe short story. Hard to follow at times but I've enjoyed it.
Watching this as well and enjoying it. I enjoyed Hill House and Midnight Mass but I keep forgetting about Bly Manor. I'll have to dial that up next.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Frasier. It is back, on Paramount+. He's back in Boston. It's an old school TV sitcom, right down to the sets and laugh track. The first 10 minutes of the pilot bugged me, in part because I'm not used to that anymore. Then it just got funny. Stayed funny through 3 episodes, silly at times, but it works.

Reaction Score
I’m about halfway through and hoping it gets better. I was quite pleased with first season.

Reaction Score
A Discovery of Witches. Yes magic and fantasy, but it’s excellent. 3 seasons available across a couple platforms including Max and AMC.

Interested in what others who enjoy the genre think of this.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Possible future binge watch. Coming soon to Hulu. Brit Marling had pretty much fallen off the radar, good to see her back again. She's not the star but she's in it, plus she's the creator along w/ Zal Batmanglij. They did several interesting movies together 10 or more years ago. I think maybe that Clive Owen guy has been in a few things.

Reaction Score
Moonlighting is streaming on Hulu after all these years.

The Warden and got about halfway through the pilot and got bored with it. It didn't seem to age well. I remember it being funny as hell when I was 16, and I know pilots can be deceiving before writers and actors hit their groove (think Cheers). I'm going to keep up with it, but I think she's done.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom