What a day! | Page 2 | The Boneyard

What a day!

Reaction Score
What a day indeed. Iowa nearly gets upset. USC beats Stanford. Notre Dame, a team many thought would struggle without Olivia Miles, has been playing some solid basketball. These conference tournaments have been intense! I can't wait for the NCAA & WNIT tournaments. Holy smokes!

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Rookie assessment. Watch the film. Wait for the replays, watch FJ closely, and also Hailey Van Lith later who comes in and swipes at Cardoso’s face, cutting her lip.

You cannot be serious. I have seen the film and seen it repeatedly.

Please point to the specific time stamp where you allege Van Lith connected with Cardoso's face? The slow-motion replay segment in question begins at the 1:23 mark below.

And even if she did "swipe" did this happen before or after Cardoso shoved a player half her size to the ground?

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Dawn is the only coach of the two that had a genuine apology. Flau’je starting the whole thing with a shove and all Kim can do is blame Kamilla . I’m fine with Kamilla getting ejected for what she did but for Flau’je to start the whole chain of events and get nothing is the problem!
I agree. Toss Flau’je as well and make her face some consequences.

Reaction Score
Flau'jae was called for the intentional foul, and then she walked away. So it's not true that she "got nothing." It was Watkins who ran up and get in her face and instigate a fight. The bump between them appeared mutual. Then of course Cardoso doing what she did.

Quit trying to create a false equivalence and a false narrative.
Mutual…..wow. Plebe did not watch the film.

Plebe

Reaction Score
Ten more demerits to the plebe.
Lol demerits? What is this, Boy Scouts?

A mild tug of the hair should be a technical foul but it is not equivalent to a full-rush shove to the ground of a player half your size. Sorry but I'm not persuaded by these false equivalencies.

Reaction Score
Thank you for saying this. Staley is a good coach but I guarantee you if you listen closely to that apology it is a very interesting way to apologize with somewhat of an excuse at the beginning and directly stating that behavior is wrong. I’m not saying Mulky is better, but I would say that she came across genuine because she absolutely doesn’t want to apologize. She basically said let the two who have problems go at it. Why does cardosa get involved. What Staley is doing is almost like deep down she’s fine with what happened but wants to come across as a good guy and perhaps not get the attention of the media and perhaps even the refs down the road on her team. She is looking out for no. 1 not the fans of basketball. Remember this is a coach that rubs it in the faces of others every time a birdie comes the nest. Why did these birdies not mentioned when she was coaching sweet sixteen teams. None of the great coaches in my opinion would ever flaunt their recruiting on social media. But I’m old schoo. These are My opinions and my opinions only.
See this why I can take the opinion seriously. You are showing your true colors of disliking her something as trivial as getting her fans excited about a new recruit. It's fine that you don't like her or the program but don't try to make it seem like she's not genuinely sorry about the whole ordeal.

Dawn has always been big about growing the game and doing it the right way. She imo tried to keep the ordeal strictly about basketball and was trying to limit the dangerous narratives that will likely surround the players around this issue. The same dangerous narratives that called Angel every name in the book after last year's championship game. She knows that WBB is gaining viewership and she doesn't want this potential breakthrough of the sport be about something it's not.

If she was only looking out for her own team interests as you state I highly doubt she would have gave props to Flau'jae for apologizing. She could have kept that information to herself and let the media run wild even more of her pushing players first and the whole ordeal with her brother.

Reaction Score
Lol demerits? What is this, Boy Scouts?

A mild tug of the hair should be a technical foul but it is not equivalent to a full-rush shove to the ground of a player half your size. Sorry but I'm not persuaded by these false equivalencies.
Looked way more than mild. But the double whammy on pulling on someone's hair and less than a minute later an unwarranted elbow to the face to the same player should have led to an ejection.

Would you agree that perhaps multiple dirty moves in succession is perhaps less of a false equivalence than a player reacting with an ill advised shove.

Multiple players were wrong in this game, but poor officiating let it bubble up to this. If they did their jobs I highly doubt the emotions would get this high and we all would be just talking about a great game.

Reaction Score
Thankfully I’m a UConn fan. The post game reactions from both coaches were atrocious. Shameful.

One last thought, when a player or coach says these actions don’t represent the “integrity” of a University (or conference) it is such BS. If the university or conference had any “integrity” they would come down hard on the perpetrators. Instead they count their $.

Good luck mods. Back to the UConn boards for me.

Last edited:

Plebe

Reaction Score
Looked way more than mild. But the double whammy on pulling on someone's hair and less than a minute later an unwarranted elbow to the face to the same player should have led to an ejection.

Would you agree that perhaps multiple dirty moves in succession is perhaps less of a false equivalence than a player reacting with an ill advised shove.

Multiple players were wrong in this game, but poor officiating let it bubble up to this. If they did their jobs I highly doubt the emotions would get this high and we all would be just talking about a great game.
Lol “ill advised” — great minimizing verbiage. Again the insistence on pointing fingers and shifting blame speaks volumes about a lack of accountability.

Aaliyah Edwards just had her nose destroyed by an elbow to the face and the player didn't get ejected. Nothing Reese did came close to being that serious.

Reaction Score
Lol “ill advised” — great minimizing verbiage. Again the insistence on pointing fingers and shifting blame speaks volumes about a lack of accountability.

Aaliyah Edwards just had her nose destroyed by an elbow to the face and the player didn't get ejected. Nothing Reese did came close to being that serious.
That elbow to the face that could have been equally as bad and pulling someone's hair are two actions that aren't basketball plays and that elbow could have led to a broken nose too. Multiple bad plays directed at a single player sounds intentional and not in the spirit of the sport.

I'm not downplaying the Cardoso shove. It was really bad (sorry if ill advised wasn't to your liking )and should have never happened. I have no issues with her ejection. But to not recognize how the actions that occured prior to that and throughout the game seems like a lot missed context.

Reaction Score
Aaliyah Edwards just had her nose destroyed by an elbow to the face and the player didn't get ejected. Nothing Reese did came close to being that serious
Disagree. The term “intentional” is misleading. What happened to AE was an intentional foul, but it wasn’t obviously malicious — though I can’t read that player’s mind. The injury is terrible, but that’s separate from the nature of the infraction. But what Angel did in both instances was intended and this is obvious from the tape. Twice in one game merits (demerits?) an ejection. That the refs missed it is disappointing and becoming more common lately. They could have toned this game down a bit. I get that no ref wants to eject a star player. But Angel has gotten away with this stuff all too often.

Plebe

Reaction Score
Disagree. The term “intentional” is misleading. What happened to AE was an intentional foul, but it wasn’t obviously malicious — though I can’t read that player’s mind. The injury is terrible, but that’s separate from the nature of the infraction. But what Angel did in both instances was intended and this is obvious from the tape. Twice in one game merits (demerits?) an ejection. That the refs missed it is disappointing and becoming more common lately. They could have toned this game down a bit. I get that no ref wants to eject a star player. But Angel has gotten away with this stuff all too often.
And I have yet to see even the dastardly Angel Reese charge toward a player during a dead ball and forcefully shove her to the ground. Sorry not buying any of this narrative as somehow mitigating what Cardoso did.

Reaction Score
And I have yet to see even the dastardly Angel Reese charge toward a player during a dead ball and forcefully shove her to the ground. Sorry not buying any of this narrative as somehow mitigating what Cardoso did.
Fair enough. But I’m not interested in comparing Angel to Kamila or trying to mitigate anything. I’m just talking about Angel’s behavior which seemed egregious to me. Do you seriously disagree?

Reaction Score
Cardoso was wrong. There’s nothing that happened in the game that makes her shoving Flau’je down ok. I’m sure Dawn will address that.
Watkins was celebrating the fact that Flau’je got a foul called. Yes, she was jawing but the jawing was back and forth all day and FJ was jawing back with her. Some Fault lies with the officials because they could have addressed it early.

As for Dawn, if you don’t believe that apology was sincere I don’t know what to say. I assure you that she doesn’t condone what happened and is embarrassed by it.

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
The game was extremely chippy from the start as was the first game. LSU really wanted to win, just like Tennessee in the last game. The hair pulling and elbowing led up to this and Kamilla was wrong to have shoved Flau'jae. Flau'jae also shouldn't have pushed Ashlyn. The officials let this game get out of hand, much like the game at UNC earlier in the season.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
NCAA should send a message and suspend both Head Coaches for the first NCAA tournament game.
For what? They were absolutely not involved in this. And I have never seen any evidence they encourage it. I will say that both allow a lot of trash talk, but what's new about that? Men do it all the time in their sport - is it not OK because they are women?

Reaction Score
Next time I'm at umpires' school clips from this game may show up as examples of poor game management.

I just saw the incident on my big-screen TV. At least three other fans tried to rush the court but were intercepted by security. IMO, whichever school those fans are from should have to play their first NCAA game without their fans in the arena.

There needs to be severe consequences for fans attempting to get on the court during an incident like this.

Reaction Score
For what? They were absolutely not involved in this. And I have never seen any evidence they encourage it. I will say that both allow a lot of trash talk, but what's new about that? Men do it all the time in their sport - is it not OK because they are women?
One of the referees was pushed around during the scrum. One of the reasons there is a shortage of good officials is because behavior like this is tolerated. Both male and female, all levels.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeaDr

Top Bottom