What’s going on with our TV deal? | The Boneyard

What’s going on with our TV deal?

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
Did CBS Sports Network renew the deal?

Reaction Score
My take: No news is good news.
AD Dave will try to get the best deal possible exploring all options. UConn isn't a marquis brand in football due to recent history, but as streaming has become the norm, there are more options for visibility.
I expect that the Huskies will try to get the best deal from among CBS Sports, FS1, ESPN+, Peacock, etc. The primary goal will be availability to fans, with monetary value running in a distant second place.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
The TV situation certainly is curious. I’m hoping for a simple one year extension with CBSsn while we wait out the ACC chaos.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
My take: No news is good news.
AD Dave will try to get the best deal possible exploring all options. UConn isn't a marquis brand in football due to recent history, but as streaming has become the norm, there are more options for visibility.
I expect that the Huskies will try to get the best deal from among CBS Sports, FS1, ESPN+, Peacock, etc. The primary goal will be availability to fans, with monetary value running in a distant second place.

You were doing good up until that comment. The school will take the money and fans will adapt on how they get to consume the games.

I agree with your premise that the amount of money is small enough that a slightly lower payout which is better for fan viewing is great, but I don't think it's realistic.

Reaction Score
You were doing good up until that comment. The school will take the money and fans will adapt on how they get to consume the games.

I agree with your premise that the amount of money is small enough that a slightly lower payout which is better for fan viewing is great, but I don't think it's realistic.

If we’re going to keep scheduling P4 beatdowns at home then we better ask for more money.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I'm pretty sure that SNY would buy up the broadcast rights if CBS SN didn't want them.

Does anyone know what our deal was worth last year? I think originally it was a half million dollars for the season. I'm not sure if that went up in the subsequent renewal.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Moving a game to Friday night is usually something that is pushed by your media partner. Someone wanted the game moved.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
I'm pretty sure that SNY would buy up the broadcast rights if CBS SN didn't want them.

Does anyone know what our deal was worth last year? I think originally it was a half million dollars for the season. I'm not sure if that went up in the subsequent renewal.
I hope SNY doesn't get it....regional networks are dying and most streaming services don't carry them IIRC. I know YouTube TV dropped it

CL82

Reaction Score
I hope SNY doesn't get it....regional networks are dying and most streaming services don't carry them IIRC. I know YouTube TV dropped it
I don't know if YouTube TV dropped it so much as lost the contract to Hulu who now has it. I'd prefer to stay on CBSSN but it's good to know that there would be a decent landing spot If they weren't interested or lowball us.

Reaction Score
I don't know if YouTube TV dropped it so much as lost the contract to Hulu who now has it. I'd prefer to stay on CBSSN but it's good to know that there would be a decent landing spot If they weren't interested or lowball us.
It was a dispute over carriage fees. YoutubeTV has refused to pay up for SNY, YES, and NESN to keep prices down and they have far and away more customers than Hulu, Fubo, Sling Etc. But prices have risen anyway.

CL82

Reaction Score
It was a dispute over carriage fees. YoutubeTV has refused to pay up for SNY, YES, and NESN to keep prices down and they have far and away more customers than Hulu, Fubo, Sling Etc. But prices have risen anyway.
They have the most, but Hulu is the clear number two service with nearly twice as much as the next closest provider.

YouTube TV has the most at 6.5 million, with Hulu + Live TV lagging slightly behind at 4.6 million subscribers.

Reaction Score
I have a hard time believing they won’t want to. The schedule is decent.

Reaction Score

SNY has absolutely no coverage. I missed a ton of Women’s Basketball.
You need to be on the National Scene.

Reaction Score
They have the most, but Hulu is the clear number two service with nearly twice as much as the next closest provider.

YouTube TV has the most at 6.5 million, with Hulu + Live TV lagging slightly behind at 4.6 million subscribers.
Hulu Live is great!

CL82

Reaction Score
SNY has absolutely no coverage. I missed a ton of Women’s Basketball.
You need to be on the National Scene.
Yeah I get that if you're out of the Mets territory it gets trickier to watch, though, at least for women's basketball, it can be accessed via the fox app. For me, here in New Jersey, it gives me access to everything.

Reaction Score
Fubo also discontinued carriage of SNY. A friend told me that it can be accessed thru Hulu, but here's the deal. At our house we have the Hulu, Disney, ESPN+ bundle. SNY is a pay tier add on for Hulu & wifey is in cost cutting mode. We'll see if she changes her tune when she wants to watch Paige Bueckers & Co. next season.

Reaction Score
This was the original story:

Mike Anthony: UConn football lands TV contract with CBS Sports Network, which provides needed stability for the future
By MIKE ANTHONY
HARTFORD COURANT |
MAY 11, 2020 AT 12:20 PM

UConn on Monday announced an agreement with CBS Sports Network, which will carry four home games in the upcoming 2020 season — if there is one — and every home game through 2023. The four-year deal comes with a pair of two-year network options that could push the agreement to eight years, through the 2027 season.

The three 2020 games not contracted by CBS Sports Network will be televised, with SNY the likely landing spot.

Financial specifics weren’t available, but the CBS Sports deal, which is over seven figures for the four years, will benefit UConn in ways similar to the average of deals in place for teams in conferences such as Conference USA, the MAAC and Mountain West.

Every FBS game UConn plays in the life of the deal will be on linear TV. There is a possibility that an annual FCS game will be available on a digital-only platform.

UConn expects to know the start time for every game in advance of a season, and most will be in the noon-3:30 window on Saturdays, with the likelihood for one Friday night game a year. The UConn/CBS Sports Network deal was done through Learfield IMG College, which holds UConn’s multimedia rights, and made easier by the fact that Benedict, by last fall, had some attractive games in place.

Reaction Score

I don't know if that is slightly behind, but they are #2. Its not quite Burger King to McDonald's but that's quite a difference.

DirectTV is now all streaming as well. I'm sure they can probably kick tail in this arena as they were great at creating tiers. Not quite ala cart, but close.

Reaction Score
This was the original story:

Mike Anthony: UConn football lands TV contract with CBS Sports Network, which provides needed stability for the future
By MIKE ANTHONY
HARTFORD COURANT |
MAY 11, 2020 AT 12:20 PM

UConn on Monday announced an agreement with CBS Sports Network, which will carry four home games in the upcoming 2020 season — if there is one — and every home game through 2023. The four-year deal comes with a pair of two-year network options that could push the agreement to eight years, through the 2027 season.

The three 2020 games not contracted by CBS Sports Network will be televised, with SNY the likely landing spot.

Financial specifics weren’t available, but the CBS Sports deal, which is over seven figures for the four years, will benefit UConn in ways similar to the average of deals in place for teams in conferences such as Conference USA, the MAAC and Mountain West.

Every FBS game UConn plays in the life of the deal will be on linear TV. There is a possibility that an annual FCS game will be available on a digital-only platform.

UConn expects to know the start time for every game in advance of a season, and most will be in the noon-3:30 window on Saturdays, with the likelihood for one Friday night game a year. The UConn/CBS Sports Network deal was done through Learfield IMG College, which holds UConn’s multimedia rights, and made easier by the fact that Benedict, by last fall, had some attractive games in place.
Iirc the extensions are also at the same rate as the initial period, which imo was a big miss from AD Dave

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score

It slightly varies because there are dollar amounts by type of opponent we are playing but last year would’ve been roughly $550k and this year will be roughly $625k assuming we don’t get CBSSN to broadcast Merrimack and roughly $700k with them broadcasting that game
Moving a game to Friday night is usually something that is pushed by your media partner. Someone wanted the game moved.

CBSSN has the right to move one game to Friday

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score
Iirc the extensions are also at the same rate as the initial period, which imo was a big miss from AD Dave
It’s a small, nominal increase. Like 10%

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbie32

Top Bottom