Whaley at the 3 point line | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Whaley at the 3 point line

Reaction Score
I disagree, especially with regard to three point shooting. At least he is a threat out there, unlike Whaley. He’s had good spurts in a few games and then sat quickly. I wasn’t so much as advocating for him to play a lot by the way, just pointing out he was the stretch 4 we were supposed to have.
He’s a good low volume three point shooter but that’s really all he brings on offense right now and he’s been basically unplayable on defense recently. I just don’t think he’s a realistic option unless there is foul trouble.

Reaction Score
Whaley is basically a center who has the ability to guard the 4 and guard it very well on the perimeter. He could be a 5 who could step out and hit a couple of 3’s. But as a swing 4 he is not that. He can’t dribble or drive and is below average shooter. He’s a offensive rebounder and put backs and open dunks dude.

I don’t envy Hurley here. He’s a very good defensive player who brings energy and works his but off. Can guard a stretch 4 but also hurts us on Offense. He has chosen D and good coaches will exploit Whaley and shut us down. We just hope our D is better. It hasn’t been in our losses.

Reaction Score
I agree with others that playing Whaley and Sanogo together just doesn't work. I would like to see either Hawkins or Polley to start to improve our spacing.

glastonbury50

You Enjoy Myself
Reaction Score
People disregarding what Whaley brings overall are just ridiculous. I mean he’s our best defender not close. Makes up for some that aren’t very good quite often but you’d need to understand help defense and such to know. Our guards aren’t great defenders especially AJ, Gaff and Hawk who are consistently beat off the dribble. Isaiah is the least of our issues. I do agree he should end up around the basket on offense because he can offensive rebound and put backs.
He got tuned up by Nunge tonight though.

Reaction Score
Not having a stretch 4 this year is killing us. Basketball has moved beyond two bigs that can't shoot. Better hope Samson Johnson develops before next season or it's going to be rough.
It was supposed to be akok. Need to bring another PF next year cause we can’t rely on Samson yet.

Reaction Score
We really need to think about lineup structure.

Having Whaley on the floor with Sanogo makes it extremely easy to sag on him and deny the ball with 2 players. Creighton did it and Xavier did it tonight.

A small lineup with Polley/Jackson/or Martin at the 4 would be much more conducive to being able to play through Sanogo.
We gotta change it. We wanna feed Sanogo in the paint. Then we have Whaley at the 3 point line trying to feed him. Whoever guards Whaley, automatically doubles Sanogo. Teams are living with that.

ColchVEGAS

Still buckin like five, deuce, four, trey.
Reaction Score
I agree with most of what is being said in regards to Whaley, but come on, Freemantle and Nunge hit some very tough contested shots in that 2nd half. Whaley needs to come off the bench to spell Sanogo at this point. His defense is still there, but offense has regressed. He is much better when attacking the boards and getting put backs and causing contact.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
People disregarding what Whaley brings overall are just ridiculous. I mean he’s our best defender not close. Makes up for some that aren’t very good quite often but you’d need to understand help defense and such to know. Our guards aren’t great defenders especially AJ, Gaff and Hawk who are consistently beat off the dribble. Isaiah is the least of our issues. I do agree he should end up around the basket on offense because he can offensive rebound and put backs.

He is good. He’s not a stretch 4 and Hurley uses him like one. When he puts Polley in that role he loses the D and rebounding he needs from that position. It’s a problem. But there are lots of problems and plenty of solutions as well. I think we are missing something here: Xavier is good, was at home and played well.

Reaction Score
He is good. He’s not a stretch 4 and Hurley uses him like one. When he puts Polley in that role he loses the D and rebounding he needs from that position. It’s a problem. But there are lots of problems and plenty of solutions as well. I think we are missing something here: Xavier is good, was at home and played well.

Xavier played better after a dreadful start because their coach adjusted and found our weaknesses on D. We lost our chance the first 9 minutes of the game when they had 7 points but we only had 10. Should’ve been up 20-7 but our offense was awful. And like I said they adjusted us not so much.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Xavier played better after a dreadful start because their coach adjusted and found our weaknesses on D. We lost our chance the first 9 minutes of the game when they had 7 points but we only had 10. Should’ve been up 20-7 but our offense was awful. And like I said they adjusted us not so much.
We’ve seen a consistent theme in recent losses that Hurley gets out-coached. I don’t think it’s because he lacks any knowledge or understanding, I think he’s just rigid and wedded to his systems on both ends. I don’t care what you run, there is something that works against it or stops it. Kimani, Tom
& Murray need an intervention with Dan. We need more flexible options.

That said, the early fouls, the two Ts and that late 3 at end of half are what lost this game.

Reaction Score
Our offense will always be dreadful if he keeps trotting out that same ridiculous starting lineup. It’s so easy for other teams to defend, they can literally leave two guys alone.

Reaction Score
Our offense will always be dreadful if he keeps trotting out that same ridiculous starting lineup. It’s so easy for other teams to defend, they can literally leave two guys alone.

Yes agree. But throw Hawkins and Polley out there they NEED to score on that end because we won’t stop anyone on the other end. I don’t have the answer I admit and I watch that dreadful offense but reality is we may not have the answers anywhere?

Doctor Hoop

Prescribing Hardwood Excellence
Reaction Score
Agree completely. Whaley is a major disruptor on D, and he covers a lot of other blemishes. On offense I’d like to see Whaley screening in the paint for Sanogo and cutters, rather than out high screening for guards and forwards that struggle getting to the hoop.

Reaction Score
Agree completely. Whaley is a major disruptor on D, and he covers a lot of other blemishes. On offense I’d like to see Whaley screening in the paint for Sanogo and cutters, rather than out high screening for guards and forwards that struggle getting to the hoop.
I guess I just don't see how Whaley is so disruptive on D. He certainly wasn't against Freemantle.

Reaction Score
Yes agree. But throw Hawkins and Polley out there they NEED to score on that end because we won’t stop anyone on the other end. I don’t have the answer I admit and I watch that dreadful offense but reality is we may not have the answers anywhere?
True. I guess I’m just frustrated with the lack of trying SOMETHING to change it up. It’s maddening.

Reaction Score
I guess I just don't see how Whaley is so disruptive on D. He certainly wasn't against Freemantle.

Please if Fremantle is making lefty and righty jump hooks who is guarding him? He has games like that. When sanogo scores 30 does this automatically mean the other teams 5 is an awful defender? Only thing you can do is make them work for your shots which he did and congrats to Fremantle for making some tough shots happens that way sometime. Maybe it was time to double down on him and Scruggs? Nah let them go one on one Dan, why adjust.

Reaction Score
True. I guess I’m just frustrated with the lack of trying SOMETHING to change it up. It’s maddening.

As am I GB. I’m watching the first 5-6 minutes when we struggle wondering who’s good enough to get us some points. I get it the problem is the answers don’t jump out at you.

Reaction Score
It doesn't help when Martin and Jackson pass up wide open 3's to pass to Whaley at the end of the shotclock.

Reaction Score
Start Hawkins already. And having AJ camped out behind the 3 point line all game is a complete waste of a freakish athlete who can’t shoot. On a team sorely lacking in ball handlers, I think Andre needs to play because he can bring the ball up court, defend and rebound. Hurley needs to run some alley oops, back door cuts, cuts off Sanogo double teams etc to allow him to use his elite athletic ability.
I agree about AJ. He's helpful for Cole as a secondary ball handler. But Hurley has to run some plays for him that get him the ball going toward the basket. Too many times our perimeter guys are running up from the baseline off of high screens where they receive the ball moving away from the hoop. Since AJ is no shooting threat, his defender can just go under those screens.

Reaction Score
Yeah. Back in the day, plenty of teams played with two low post players and did so effectively. Remember Robinson & Duncan? Or Parrish and McHale? Or Laimbeer & Mahorn? The Bulls played Rodman with traditional centers. I realize those are top-notch post combos, but the point is that plays can be run that get the post guys shots without them clogging up the lane for each other. One way is to have Sanogo set a pin-down screen for Whaley on the left block. If Sanogo's defender switches, Whaley pops to the elbow where he receives the ball while Sanogo is sealing off his defender. If there's no switch, Whaley should have a short jumper or even a path to the hoop.

But, if we're going to run a 4-out offense with Whaley presenting no threat along the arc, our starting lineup is a real problem.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom